Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Clasic_Cards #17 - Clubhouse  (Read 2110 times)

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
  • Respect: +80
    • View Profile
Clasic_Cards #17 - Clubhouse
« on: August 01, 2012, 03:51:39 pm »

Clubhouse (2)
Action
+1 Buy
Whenever you buy a card this turn, you may reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal a Treasure card. If you do, play that card and discard the rest.

• Clubhouse: spend enough money and they might just let you in.
  • I'm fascinated by the idea of using extra buys as a tool. It's rare in this game that you buy a lot of little things over one big thing, but I think a card like this helps make that strategy better (though it admittedly aids the big buys all the same).
  • The "may" clause is there to prevent you from having to search out a treasure without any buys left. This card also purposely prohibits a benefit until your second buy.
  • This isn't the greatest card in the early game, usually only giving you a buy and a coin. It gets rather interesting when you can stack multiples, though. I'm considering costing it at 3 for that reason, but I think that takes a lot of set-up to make work well.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 05:44:34 pm by Rush_Clasic »

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
Re: Clasic_Cards #17 - Clubhouse
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 04:03:33 pm »

Library?  I presume you mean deck here.

Dominion rules require you to play all Treasure cards before buying any cards (buying from the Black Market excepted).   This matters in games with Grand Market, Mint, and Mandarin.  You can't, for example, play two Golds, buy a Grand Market, and then play some Coppers to pick something else up with an extra Buy.

So what that means for Clubhouse is that if you buy something with Clubhouse in play, thereby drawing an additional Treasure card into your hand, you can't then play that Treasure card.

You might be able to fix this by putting a Venture-style "play the Treasure card" clause in, but I can't be sure off-hand if that would be free of any rules conflicts with existing or future cards.  I can't think of any problems off the top of my head, at least.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 04:05:41 pm by rinkworks »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 04:29:40 pm »

Since Black Market lets you play Treasures with inappropriate timing, this should be able to do the same with revised wording.
You should be able to add +1 card to this and be ok

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 04:41:35 pm »

Library?  I presume you mean deck here.

My Magic background comes out every day! *fixed*

Dominion rules require you to play all Treasure cards before buying any cards (buying from the Black Market excepted).   This matters in games with Grand Market, Mint, and Mandarin.  You can't, for example, play two Golds, buy a Grand Market, and then play some Coppers to pick something else up with an extra Buy.

So what that means for Clubhouse is that if you buy something with Clubhouse in play, thereby drawing an additional Treasure card into your hand, you can't then play that Treasure card.

I could have sworn it wasn't this way. I thought I've done the Grand Market trick online before. Hmmm...

You might be able to fix this by putting a Venture-style "play the Treasure card" clause in, but I can't be sure off-hand if that would be free of any rules conflicts with existing or future cards.  I can't think of any problems off the top of my head, at least.

I'll go with that for now *fixed*; when I get to playtesting, I'll see if problems crop up.

Since Black Market lets you play Treasures with inappropriate timing, this should be able to do the same with revised wording.
You should be able to add +1 card to this and be ok

I was wondering if I could add something, but I wanted to keep this cheap. I wonder if +2 Buy would be viable given the way this card works. It'd be the first time I ever wanted to put +2 Buy on a card. I'm not sure it needs a power boost at all, but +1 Card is definitely the most reasonable if it does.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 05:45:08 pm by Rush_Clasic »

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 07:41:10 pm »

You could just buy Copper until you hit a good treasure. The problem with that is that the more you use it, the more Coppers in your deck, the more likely it is that that is what you will hit.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 08:05:13 pm »

You could just buy Copper until you hit a good treasure. The problem with that is that the more you use it, the more Coppers in your deck, the more likely it is that that is what you will hit.

It's sorta the Cache problem. I look at that as a good feature for the card to have.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 20 queries.