Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Probably the most complicated match I have ever played  (Read 1076 times)

Asklepios

• Duke
  • Respect: +117
    • View Profile
Probably the most complicated match I have ever played
« on: August 01, 2012, 02:21:57 pm »
+2

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201208/01/game-20120801-110659-0c3e82c0.html

This game was amazing: my thanks to my opponent for the game, and a shame the lag slowed it down so much.

An asymmetrical opening: 5/2 vs 4/3, with:

Bazaar, Colony, Expand, Highway, Hoard, Merchant Ship, Mountebank, Platinum, Potion, Scrying Pool, Tactician, University, and Warehouse

What do you do with a board like that?

My first thought was University / Tactician, transitioning to the megaengine from hell.

I went Potion/ Warehouse, thinking the odds of 2P from this were good. Nope, Turn 3 missed the potion, so I bought a potion. Turn 4 hit both potions, so I knew I was shuffling again before getting a second Uni. So far, so not good. Turn 5: a flat $2. Great. My two potions continued to be drawn together, over and over... I was sure I had already lost...

Both of us thought Highway/Tactician, but my opponent was there first, and had an early Expand cleaning up his deck.

Both of us declined Mountebank early on, in order to accelerate our own engines. For my opponent's part, I think he was crazy to decline Mountebank on a 5/2 split, regardless of engines.

Even so, it looked very bad for a very long time.

Turn 12: my opponent buys Colony and Scrying Pool. I have no colonies yet, nor any platinum.
Turn 14: my opponent buys a Colony and a Bazaar. I have no colonies yet, nor any platinum.
Turn 15: my opponent buys a Colony. I have no colonies yet, nor any platinum.
Turn 16: my opponent buys a Colony and a Bazaar. I have no colonies yet, nor any platinum.
Turn 17: my opponent buys a Colony and a Mountebank. I have no colonies yet, nor any platinum.

Turn 18...:

5 colonies down, and in the depths of despair, having spent the last few turns acquiring duchies and provinces in the hope I might climb back in the game some how. I Scry, play my Bazaars and Highways, Scry again and then...

*click*

I stop for a long time. I add up the numbers. I realise I may have the cards in hand to do this.

That turn, I go for 2 provinces, 3 duchies and 1 colony. I inflict 2 curses. I end the game on three piles using University to gain Expands.

Boom, game over, comeback of the year, hell yeah!

I spent the whole second half of the game expecting to have lost, but working towards a hope that I might find my way back in. Then suddenly, there it was.

Lesson for me: Never give up. 5-0 down on Colonies doesn't mean the game is over.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 02:25:49 pm by Asklepios »

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
Re: Probably the most complicated match I have ever played
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 03:35:41 pm »

I would think Mountebank first is key here and maybe you can stick an engine together through the Coppers and Curses but good luck doing that.

I would probably open either Silver/Warehouse or Mountebank/-.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
Re: Probably the most complicated match I have ever played
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 03:43:18 pm »

I would think Mountebank first is key here and maybe you can stick an engine together through the Coppers and Curses but good luck doing that.
Given that it's a Colony game, I'm pretty sure an engine can work. Early Mountebank is definitely important. The key would be using Highway to expand Coppers to Highways/Bazaars, while running double Tactician. I'm not sure at what point University and/or Scrying Pool should be added, but maybe not too early.

The better engine should win because of multi-Mountebank plays, but if both players are doing the same thing, it'll get messy and the engine will be very fragile.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.