Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: locked by rabbles/minions  (Read 1361 times)

wrathofmine

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
locked by rabbles/minions
« on: August 01, 2012, 12:37:42 pm »

Hi,

I just had a very long game where my opponent gave me each turn 3 victory cards in a 4 cards hand with 3 victory cards to draw. The game took forever because I had 5 provinces and 2 duchies to 2 provinces and my oppponent wanted to cautiously build up without let me play and there was no +buy on the board.. Here is the log : http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201208/01/game-20120801-062817-4ea3b3b6.html
I just couldn't play from turn 20 to 38 where I finished buying the 10 curses to win (I thought of this exit very late). My opponent did a mistake ending 2 piles, if he hadn't I couldn't have won I think.

But this game gives me many questions. Is this a frequent way to play ? Did I have any way to avoid this ? Could I see it come and made a big mistake ? And which way would you take ? (I know Hunting parties/rabble wasn't optimal because the way I played, after a good hand I had big chances to have a crap one.)

And would you choose this way to play on this board ? I ask that because I find this all but fun playing hours to have your opponent "0$... I buy nothing/copper/curse" (and I cannot imagine in a real game). And when you are the one that is constantly with 0$ hands, it's so boring and frustrating to play...

I'm not english speaker so excuse me if I'm not simple to understand.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
Re: locked by rabbles/minions
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 07:46:40 pm »

Wow, that is a pin I never thought of. When set up, that can be very effective. KC-KC-Rabble-Rabble-Minion.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

carstimon

• Golem
  • Respect: +115
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 07:50:57 pm »

Kudos to your opponent for getting it, but I don't think it's gonna happen very often.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 08:16:24 pm »
+1

Any time you see attacks in a kingdom that also has engine potential, you have to think about if the opponent can pin you or put you in a really bad position once you start committing to green. Attacks like Thief and Militia are devastating if you don't manage your endgame right.

There's nothing wrong about playing this game to win. I would have no qualms locking down my opponents in a match (assuming that the opponent is experienced) if it will give me a higher chance at winning.

That said, your opponent had this game in the bag and was way too cautious. The presence of alt VP in the form of Silk Road in the kingdom should have let him win easily. There was no need for him to get that extra BV and Rabble.

wrathofmine

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 02:46:13 am »

Yes I won't say the contrary, I'm impressed of what he did.

But maybe, as dondon151 said, my opponent was way too cautious (but didn't see the backdoor he let me), and what was interresting at the beginning was way too long and felt like sadistic at the end. I had the impression it would never end. That's in this way more than in setting the pin that I felt it frustrating.

He asked me if I wanted to resign, but I prefered to see where it would end.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 20 queries.