Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Best Pair With Base Set  (Read 19988 times)

Spiral Architect

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
Best Pair With Base Set
« on: August 01, 2012, 04:56:39 am »

I got the base set for dominion about 6 months ago, after my sister's friend taut me. We ended up moving about 40 minutes away, so I only really get to play with expansions irl when I go to her house. Obviously the base set gets rather dull after a while.

So, this begs the question: What set would you pair with the base set to get the most replay value?

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
Re: Best Pair With Base Set
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 04:58:23 am »

Probably Dark Ages...

From the existing ones: Seaside, Prosperity.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 05:28:07 am »
+2

There are a lot of threads about this that can be found in the FAQ.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 05:37:15 am »

Without any doubt, Seaside.
I played a lot with Base-Intrigue on BGA, I don't like. I don't like Base-Prosperity either.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 05:43:15 am »

Seaside.

Spiral Architect

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 05:44:52 am »

Thanks, I guess I sort of missed that subforum, since I would have probably looked their first.

It seems like Seaside is the way to go right now.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 05:50:16 am »

Thanks, I guess I sort of missed that subforum, since I would have probably looked their first.

Yeah, probably Seaside. Definitely not Alchemy, Cornucopia, or Intrigue, Prosperity has waayyy more engine then you will be used to, and Hinterlands is not as fun.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 08:53:44 am »
+2

Honestly, just get them in order of their release.  There's a reason they were released that way.  The only reason you should ever purchase them out of order is if you've already played with all or most of the expansions, and you just want the flavor of one of them in particular.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Kahryl

• Explorer
  • Respect: +155
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 10:41:26 am »
+1

My Dominion team got Base, Intrigue, Prosperity as our starter pack. I definitely wouldn't include Intrigue - it has some nice cards but overall it's as kludgy as Base without Base's simplicity.

Prosperity otoh was a barrel of fun - although none of us were smart/ruthless enough to get kings court chains set up. That sounds like it would be painful in RL games.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 10:42:34 am by Kahryl »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 11:21:33 am »

My Dominion team got Base, Intrigue, Prosperity as our starter pack. I definitely wouldn't include Intrigue - it has some nice cards but overall it's as kludgy as Base without Base's simplicity.

Prosperity otoh was a barrel of fun - although none of us were smart/ruthless enough to get kings court chains set up. That sounds like it would be painful in RL games.

Intrigue has some of the best cards of all the sets - Masquerade, Torturer, Courtyard, Trading Post, Harem, Minion, Steward.  And of course, everyone loves Saboteur.  :D
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 12:13:12 pm »

Intrigue has some of the best cards of all the sets - Masquerade, Torturer, Courtyard, Trading Post, Harem, Minion, Steward.  And of course, everyone loves Saboteur.  :D

But on the other hand, Intrigue also has Coppersmith, Wishing Well, Scout, Ironworks and Tribute.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 12:23:21 pm »

But on the other hand, Intrigue also has Coppersmith, Wishing Well, Scout, Ironworks and Tribute.

So?  Prosperity has Counting House, Contraband and Loan.  What is your point?

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 01:30:15 pm »
+4

You should replace Loan with Talisman there.  Loan is a great card!
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

Kahryl

• Explorer
  • Respect: +155
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 01:31:16 pm »

Masquerade, Courtyard, Trading Post, Harem, Steward are all great, but Torturer and Minion make the game warped and boring.

Dubdubdubdub

• Golem
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 01:32:53 pm »
+3

Yeah, probably Seaside. Definitely not Alchemy, Cornucopia, or Intrigue, Prosperity has waayyy more engine then you will be used to, and Hinterlands is not as fun.

Hinterlands is super fun!

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2012, 01:47:02 pm »
+1

You should replace Loan with Talisman there.  Loan is a great card!

You should replace Talisman with Loan there. Talisman is a great card!

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2012, 02:49:01 pm »

Hinterlands is super fun!

Yeah, agreed. Hinterlands is lots of fun and has some of the neatest combos of any set. Morgrim's opinion is definitely not shared by everybody.

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2012, 03:59:37 pm »

Hinterlands is the only set where you have the possibility for openings that aren't just 3/4 or 5/2

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2012, 04:14:03 pm »
+4

However, Intrigue has Great Hall, Secret Chamber, Shanty Town and Swindler.

Wait. What's the point of this game? We're just naming random cards. This totally has nothing to do with what expansion goes best with the base set...

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2012, 04:24:12 pm »

I have Base/Hinterlands in my home.  I have been dissatisfied with Base/Hinterlands with no other expansions.  It brings too many Big Money powerhouses to the game without shoring up Base dominion's lack of engine viability much.  Embassy, Jack of all Trades, Trader, Fool's Gold, Silk Road, Tunnel, Farmland, Margrave, IGG, all lean a bit strongly towards Big Money, and IGG, Embassy, JoaT, and Fool's Gold are total powerhouses.  I'd argue that Haggler is also a very strong card that leans towards Big Money, because Province->Gold works better than Province->5$ engine component that will miss your Village due to Province clog.  The Village availability is fine, with Village, Crossroads, Festival, Border Village, and Inn available.  The issue is that the two sets can support engines but don't supply a point to having an engine.  Highway does, and supported Highway boards are interesting.  But that's it. Stables is a stronger Lab, yeah, and you can build an engine with Stables, but many of those end up kinda simple because of the way Stables works.  You buy lots of Silvers to ensure Stableses don't fizzle and trash lightly because Copper is good and you run all your Stables into a strong terminal every turn because it's sorta like a Hunting Party that only knows how to skip coppers when you think about it. 

I bought the set because I love Silk Roads, and Silk Road is great.  I would prefer better engine/BM balance to the cool alt-VP card though, Gardens comes with the base set anyway.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2012, 04:25:32 pm »
+1

Wait. What's the point of this game? We're just naming random cards. This totally has nothing to do with what expansion goes best with the base set...

Uno has 4's, skips, reverses, and draw 4 wilds.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2012, 04:33:08 pm »
+5

I find Base + Uno to be a reasonably good starting point for a beginning Dominion player. However the overpowered, imo, "Rainbow Deck" using Chapel and D4W shows up just a little too often with only two sets available.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2012, 04:42:35 pm »
+1

I find Base + Uno to be a reasonably good starting point for a beginning Dominion player. However the overpowered, imo, "Rainbow Deck" using Chapel and D4W shows up just a little too often with only two sets available.

And of course, the Ace of Spades is far too much of a powerhouse for a noob to handle.

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2012, 05:03:56 pm »

Whereas the Pokemon TCG has Lucario, Suicune, Vaporeon, and Iceon: Each one of these cards by itself presents interactions with Dominion Base so complex that even Donald X. is not exactly certain how they are used in gameplay.
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2012, 05:19:14 pm »

Whereas the Pokemon TCG has Lucario, Suicune, Vaporeon, and Iceon

I think you mean Glaceon.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 21 queries.