Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Clasic_Cards #16 - Digger  (Read 2163 times)

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
  • Respect: +80
    • View Profile
Clasic_Cards #16 - Digger
« on: July 31, 2012, 06:59:27 pm »
+1

Digger (2)
Action
+1 Action
You may put a random Treasure card from your discard pile into your hand. If you don't: +1 Card.

Version 2.0

Digger (3)
Action
+1 Action
You may shuffle your discard pile face-down, then reveal cards from it until you reveal a Treasure card. If you do, put that card into your hand. Otherwise: +1 Card.

• I imagine his picture would show a shovel in hand and a mostly blank disposition.
  • I wanted to do a simple card toady. Well, that's not quite true. I wanted to do a Doctor Who themed card today, specifically a Weeping Angel, but getting a flavorful mechanic I liked was difficult. After trying that and a lot of other really complicated designs, I went back to the soothing balm that is simplicity. *sigh*
  • Choosing the treasure seemed a bit too good. It might not be, but it seemed that way. You can still gain some control over it with trashing, card selection, and forced shuffling, and it still gets better as the game goes long.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 07:53:32 pm by Rush_Clasic »

Tdog

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +133
    • View Profile
Re: Clasic_Cards #16 - Digger
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 07:21:08 pm »

How do you make the chooser card random? Do you pick out the treasure cards from your deck and then shuffle?

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 07:34:03 pm »

Takes too long to carry out for such a cheap card.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 07:35:17 pm »

How do you make the chooser card random? Do you pick out the treasure cards from your deck and then shuffle?

If we assume that the order of cards in your discard doesn't matter, then sure. I know that Dominion generally doesn't allow players to search through their discard piles, but that seems like a rule that can be broken without a tremendous amount of harm, at least in this small capacity. You'd have to clarify in the rules section of this card that the choice has to be made before a player can look through their discard pile. Admittedly, I forgot you couldn't look through it when I designed this card; we played for months allowing such looking before someone read that you can't.

I suppose the process gets rather overwhelming the bigger your discard pile gets. I overlooked that. I could change it to an open decision, or make it top-most. The latter has the ugly problem of players having to keep their discard pile organized at all times.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 07:38:29 pm by Rush_Clasic »

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 07:37:28 pm »

To choose the random card, I imagine : shuffle your discard pile, then reveal cards from it until you find a treasure. Why not ?

Though it might be really strong at $2. Maybe at $4 so this is a weaker venture ($1 missing, but as a non-terminal action it's interesting)
Chocolate is like victory points in Dominion. Both taste good but they'll hurt you if you eat too much of it instead of something else in your early days.

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 07:45:45 pm »

To choose the random card, I imagine : shuffle your discard pile, then reveal cards from it until you find a treasure. Why not ?

Though it might be really strong at $2. Maybe at $4 so this is a weaker venture ($1 missing, but as a non-terminal action it's interesting)

So much for making a simple card.

I don't know if -$1 and the chance that your discard pile has nothing in it warrants this type of price break. Oh, and you can miss on this if you draw it with a terminal, unlike Venture. You're definitely right; I under-cost this for all I gave it. But it might be able to live at 3. I like your idea for the randomization.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 07:46:56 pm by Rush_Clasic »

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 09:59:09 am »

-$1 generally causes 3 less in price (look copper - silver - gold)
A man on a mission.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 20 queries.