Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Mysterious Province Buy  (Read 4594 times)

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
Mysterious Province Buy
« on: July 26, 2011, 11:53:33 am »

Meet Mary.  Mary is playing a game of Dominion.  There are no trashers, and Mountebank has run amok, leaving her deck bloated to 50 cards by her final turn, which is also the final turn of the game.  She's playing an action-heavy strategy, but, as it happens, at the start of this final turn she has a hand with all of her non-Copper treasure cards in it and no action cards at all.  Every card in her hand has a different name.  Also, she played no duration cards on her previous turn, nor does she have any Horse Traders cards set aside.

The sum of the face values of all her treasure cards is $6 (there are no variable-face-value treasures like Bank or Philosopher's Stone).  Yet, somehow she is able to buy the last Province on this turn and end the game.

How did she do it?

Edit:  Congratulations to the solvers of this one.  For future readers who might want to try this puzzle, we discovered that there is a solution if the total face value of all the treasure cards in hand is only $5!

The $6 Solution:

Venture by itself isn't enough, because it will draw a Copper.  However, if Mary's hand consists of Copper, Silver, Royal Seal, Horn of Plenty, and Venture, with the treasures played in that order, the Horn of Plenty will be able to gain a Silver, which, due to the Royal Seal, can be placed on the top of her deck.  Then the Venture draws the Silver, resulting in $8 to buy the Province with.  Note that the Copper and Silver can be swapped out for a number of alternatives (Talisman/Harem, for example, or Gold/Estate).

Turning the $6 Solution into a $5 Solution:

Just like the $6 solution, only swap the Silver out for Diadem.  The Diadem's face value is $2, but since Mary has an unused action this turn, it's really worth $3.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 09:57:16 am by rinkworks »

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
Re: Mysterious Province Buy
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 12:04:40 pm »

Venture. No, that's not enough. Add a Diadem
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 12:09:26 pm by DStu »

rinkworks

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 12:22:49 pm »

Crud -- I knew there would be a loophole somewhere.  Good work.  Yes, Diadem would push you over the top, because it's really worth $3 in this case, since you haven't used your action.

But let's say that Tournament isn't in this game, nor, therefore, any of its prizes.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 12:25:30 pm »

Heh. I thought of Venture too. Didn't think Diadem would be allowed because it is variable-face-value... maybe. Either way, it's not allowed. Back to thinking.

Elyv

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 12:39:08 pm »

Hand: Hoard, Royal Seal, Horn of Plenty, Venture, Quarry(last card doesn't really matter)
Play Hoard and Royal Seal, then play HoP, getting an estate, getting a gold and using royal seal to put it on top of your deck, then play venture and quarry for a total of $9.

Edit: Oops, doesn't work.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 12:42:41 pm by Elyv »

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 12:43:52 pm »

That's brilliant. I assume you edited a mistake out because from what I can tell, that works.

david707

• Baron
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 12:44:43 pm »

Something involving HoP and Royal Seal

Edit: Ninja'd!

Edit: Spoilered
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 01:16:29 pm by david707 »

Elyv

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 12:45:00 pm »

That's brilliant. I assume you edited a mistake out because from what I can tell, that works.
Read Hoard a little more closely.

Edit: derp, the real solution is much easier. Same set of cards as my other attempt, except get a silver with HoP instead of an estate.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 12:47:41 pm by Elyv »

david707

• Baron
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 12:47:17 pm »

Solution:
Royal Seal, HoP, Venture, Gold, Curse (doesn't matter). Play Gold and Royal Seal, then play HoP to gain Silver on top of your deck. Finally use venture to get the silver.

Edit: Spoilered, and ninja'd again!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 12:49:34 pm by david707 »

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 12:47:47 pm »

Read Hoard a little more closely.
Ah.

Edit: Some good spoilering going on in here =/

rinkworks

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 12:57:47 pm »

Yup, Royal Seal/HoP/Venture was my solution.  Specifically, I had Copper-Silver-Royal Seal-Horn of Plenty-Venture, with the Horn of Plenty gaining a Silver.  But, as was pointed out, the identity of those first two cards don't matter very much.  Gold-Curse works.  Silver-Talisman and Silver-Quarry work, too.

But the mention of Diadem makes me think we can combine the two solutions and rewrite the puzzle to be tougher, as then the total face card count can be merely $5.  Copper-Diadem-Royal Seal-Horn of Plenty-Venture is only a $5 face value (Diadem's actual value is variable, but the "2" on its face is clear enough) and yet still enables a Province buy.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 03:09:49 pm »

That is still a $6 face value.  1(Copper) + 2(Diadem) + 2(Royal Seal) + 1(Venture)

If you get rid of the Copper (for Curse I guess) then it would work I think (HoP counts itself right?), and then you would have a $5 face value.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 03:16:14 pm by Deadlock39 »

rinkworks

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 05:04:42 pm »

If you get rid of the Copper (for Curse I guess) then it would work I think (HoP counts itself right?), and then you would have a $5 face value.

That's what I was thinking, yeah.

Tiger

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2011, 06:27:56 am »

Also, the OP said "all of her non-Copper treasure cards"...

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 06:42:27 am »

Silver (or Hoard/Harem), Loan, Venture, Talisman, Quarry: Play Loan to trash or discard whatever, Play Venture to dig up a Gold/Harem/Hoard/Silver

Face values from all the cards in your hand = $6 and you have only differently named Treasure cards in your hand.
I believer this fits the problem.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2011, 06:57:19 am »

Silver (or Hoard/Harem), Loan, Venture, Talisman, Quarry: Play Loan to trash or discard whatever, Play Venture to dig up a Gold/Harem/Hoard/Silver

Face values from all the cards in your hand = $6 and you have only differently named Treasure cards in your hand.
I believer this fits the problem.
at the start of this final turn she has a hand with all of her non-Copper treasure cards in it

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2011, 07:01:52 am »

Ah, I misunderstood and thought she had just non-Coppers in her hand, while she had ALL non-Coppers in her hand.

That's what you get from not having English as your native language. :)

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea
Pages: [1]

Page created in 2.204 seconds with 20 queries.