Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Stoners  (Read 13539 times)

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
Re: Stoners
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2012, 11:43:55 am »

I stopped smoking before I discovered Dominion. That said, there were not any activities in my life that precluded smoking so I'm sure that I would have smoked and played Dominion and even claimed to have liked it.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2012, 11:52:29 am »

I stopped smoking before I discovered Dominion. That said, there were not any activities in my life that precluded smoking so I'm sure that I would have smoked and played Dominion and even claimed to have liked it.

I tried pot when I was 16 and didn't get anything out of it. So, a quick risk-vs-reward assessment led me to the conclusion that I was not interested in pursuing that while it was still illegal. If there is a risk of jail, it better at least have some sort of reward.

Although, since it didn't do much for me, I don't think I'd partake in it even if it were legal. My body doesn't take well to smoke anymore (even incense is an irritant).

I'm a fairly strong advocate for the legalization of pot, and I do enjoy bringing up that fact when someone brings out the tired argument of, "You just want it legal so you can smoke it." Not only is that an irrelevant claim, but it's an inaccurate one at that. There are plenty of arguments that can be brought up against pot legalization, but that's not one of them.
A man has no signature

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2012, 11:55:20 am »

I'm a fairly strong advocate for the legalization of pot, and I do enjoy bringing up that fact when someone brings out the tired argument of, "You just want it legal so you can smoke it." Not only is that an irrelevant claim, but it's an inaccurate one at that. There are plenty of arguments that can be brought up against pot legalization, but that's not one of them.

This.
Except that I didn't try it at all.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2012, 11:57:34 am »
+1

Stoning may not be allowed where you are, but ill wager its never been allowed where you are.

In ither places its still happening
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2012, 12:34:33 pm »
+1

I'm in favor of decriminalization. And I am a non-user. Cannabis is already legalized. Legality is a state of being codified into legal statute. Regardless of the verbiage legal statutes dictate what the individual can and cannot do. When it comes to what the individual can or cannot do with his own mind and body I see no use for the state to intervene for I feel that each man should have sovereign reign of his mind and body. Thus, legalization of cannabis is obnoxious to a man's sovereign right to his own mind and body even if that statute allows for the controlled use of the substance. Handcuffs lined with velvet are still bonds.

I view requests for legalization of cannabis as coming from a good-willed ignorance of what exactly is being requested. Cannabis, in my view, should hold the same legal status as lawn clippings, that is, none whatsoever.

/soapbox

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2012, 01:15:47 pm »

I think he meant in the context of normally non-political message boards.  Isn't there like a whole board on BGG dedicated to religion/politics flame wars just to keep it separate from everything else?
I mean it in that context too. I don't know why people think that the bible is significantly more political than most anything else.

Um... because politicians in the US think it's as important and sometimes more important than the Constitution and the US Code, and keep trying to insert it into the lives of those who have a different or no religion?  But this is only applicable to the US and a few other countries.  (Obviously the Qu'ran has a similar status in some Middle Eastern countries.)
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2012, 01:42:40 pm »

There is an interesting article on Slate that wonders what full legalization in America of marijuana would look like -- unlike, say, Netherlands, where growing and wholesale distribution is still illegal.  The conclusion is that it would be so incredibly, unbelievably cheap, that it would be priced around the same as ketchup packets and would be given away basically for free.

Whether you consider this an argument for or against legalization is up to you, but it is something that I had never considered before.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2012, 01:44:41 pm »

I think he meant in the context of normally non-political message boards.  Isn't there like a whole board on BGG dedicated to religion/politics flame wars just to keep it separate from everything else?
I mean it in that context too. I don't know why people think that the bible is significantly more political than most anything else.

Um... because politicians in the US think it's as important and sometimes more important than the Constitution and the US Code, and keep trying to insert it into the lives of those who have a different or no religion?  But this is only applicable to the US and a few other countries.  (Obviously the Qu'ran has a similar status in some Middle Eastern countries.)
That people think it's more important than the constitution/legal code in no way makes it political; I care about my mother far more than those pieces of paper, and that hardly makes her political. As for inserting it into other peoples' lives, this is not prima facie different than those other people trying to insert the lack of it into those peoples' lives - and by this argument, absolutely everything is political.

But really, that this is the politically controversial topic is incredibly ironic in a thread about stoners.

Taco Lobster

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +74
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2012, 01:58:28 pm »
+1

That people think it's more important than the constitution/legal code in no way makes it political; I care about my mother far more than those pieces of paper, and that hardly makes her political. As for inserting it into other peoples' lives, this is not prima facie different than those other people trying to insert the lack of it into those peoples' lives - and by this argument, absolutely everything is political.

But really, that this is the politically controversial topic is incredibly ironic in a thread about stoners.

You skipped the second part of the statement about the Bible being imposed by the gov't.  If a political party built it's platform around your mother's wisdom and how we should all do what she says, she would indeed be political.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2012, 02:02:38 pm »

You skipped the second part of the statement about the Bible being imposed by the gov't.  If a political party built it's platform around your mother's wisdom and how we should all do what she says, she would indeed be political.
Two things. First, I didn't skip over that - read my second sentence. Second, that is ridiculous - SHE isn't political in and of herself, other people taking her positions and trying to build a political party around it (and to be fair, this really really really doesn't happen in this country with the Bible - they try to make it SOUND like it does, but it does not, in truth) is a political issue, which nevertheless does not deprive me of the ability to talk about my mother without speaking in a political sense.
Oh, I guess a third thing. Why is political talk inherently bad, anyway?

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2012, 02:06:27 pm »

Why is political talk inherently bad, anyway?

It's not bad it's just proven to be divisive and largely unproductive unless you are a career politician and even then the productivity is subjective to who is benefitting.

Taco Lobster

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2012, 02:07:51 pm »

Because we aren't even going to agree on the basics, so it's a conversation destined to not end well.  I'm not sure who "they" are that try to make it sound like the bible is inserted into politics or how the statement about the bible not being built into (and extended by) a political party could even approach being true. 

So, rather than bring it up and debate it, just let the bible jokes wash like water over the duck's back.  Save us all the trouble of a digression about politics (or its cousin, religion) in a forum not dedicated to politics (or religion) in a thread that's not about that particular political (or religious) issue.

Taco Lobster

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2012, 02:15:09 pm »

There is an interesting article on Slate that wonders what full legalization in America of marijuana would look like -- unlike, say, Netherlands, where growing and wholesale distribution is still illegal.  The conclusion is that it would be so incredibly, unbelievably cheap, that it would be priced around the same as ketchup packets and would be given away basically for free.

Whether you consider this an argument for or against legalization is up to you, but it is something that I had never considered before.

Interesting.  I wonder what the natural consumption rate/price of tobacco would be if it were not regulated/taxed/etc.  I imagine it wouldn't be lower (than mj) given that tobacco is more difficult to grow and harvest, and has a smaller growing range, but it'd still be a useful piece of data given the above.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 02:23:37 pm by Taco Lobster »

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2012, 02:24:35 pm »

Because we aren't even going to agree on the basics, so it's a conversation destined to not end well.  I'm not sure who "they" are that try to make it sound like the bible is inserted into politics or how the statement about the bible not being built into (and extended by) a political party could even approach being true. 

So, rather than bring it up and debate it, just let the bible jokes wash like water over the duck's back.  Save us all the trouble of a digression about politics (or its cousin, religion) in a forum not dedicated to politics (or religion) in a thread that's not about that particular political (or religious) issue.
Conversely, don't tell me what is to be important to me. Since you obviously don't care about how it's treated, you don't bring it up. Whatever you do, don't try to tell me that I should not care about or talk about the thing which is of primordial importance to me, or that I should just ignore that thing. You are the one who should be ignoring it, since it is obviously less important to you than it is to me.

"They" who try to make it sound like the bible is inserted into politics includes you, since you clearly hold that position, most of the people on the far left, who complain that it is in too much, as well as the people on the far right, who claim to be guided by it, none of which is actually true. The bible is clearly not into a political party, at least not a major one in the US. Probably there are some out there somewhere - I don't claim to know all the world's political parties. I don't know why you think it IS actually built into any major American (or actually, as far as I'm aware, European) party's platform, because it rather clearly isn't, if you would follow such things, which I assume you don't.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2012, 02:31:10 pm »
+2

So, rather than bring it up and debate it, just let the bible jokes wash like water over the duck's back. 

So, know the real reason why Lot's wife didn't escape the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah?

She was convicted of assault.

Thank you, thank you. Try the veal…but shy away from the ham.
A man has no signature

Taco Lobster

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2012, 02:32:16 pm »

Yeah, that basically proves the point about why it's not talked about.  People get upset and lose their tempers, and we get a bunch of "they" based accusations.  Assume whatever you'd like about me, but, for the record, I am the #3 person in teh Great Evil Liberal Conspiracy.  Tomorrow we have a meeting to discuss how much we hate god and want to pass laws requiring teenagers to have gay sex and get an abortion (we're still ironing out the details on how those two things will work together).

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2012, 02:42:48 pm »

the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah?

I would like to call upon a being with more powers than I to destroy this thread.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2012, 03:00:01 pm »
+4

Yeah, that basically proves the point about why it's not talked about.  People get upset and lose their tempers, and we get a bunch of "they" based accusations.  Assume whatever you'd like about me, but, for the record, I am the #3 person in teh Great Evil Liberal Conspiracy.  Tomorrow we have a meeting to discuss how much we hate god and want to pass laws requiring teenagers to have gay sex and get an abortion (we're still ironing out the details on how those two things will work together).
I happen to know this isn't true, because I'm a liberal. The people on the right actually annoy me more than those on the left on these issues, but they both annoy me, because they try to twist the thing to their own ends.
I'm sorry, who has lost their temper here? "They" based accusations? I don't even know what that means. I use 'they' because it is a really convenient pronoun to not have to say 'people who hold this position X and say these things Y, Z, and W' all the time.
What I assume about you is that you are not particularly religious and not an expert on the Bible. What is that assumption built on? Only the things you've said here. I also assume that when you say something , you generally mean it (obviously the Great Evil Liberal Conspiracy thing was a joke).
I don't think you have a conspiracy, that you particularly hate God, that you want to pass any kind of these laws, or anything like that. I think you are a reasonable person who has positions on issues that try to make the best for everyone - you've given me no reason to think otherwise. I just happen to think that those positions are wrong. However, it is totally possible to disagree amicably and talk through these kinds of issues, even though you almost never ever see that when you watch the politicians and the pundits. And because we are flooded by that, people think you just can't have these kinds of discussions, but that too is wrong. You certainly can, and I have on many occasions. 
The point that I was trying to make in my first comment, is that it is at least as wrong to assume that all religious people, religion itself, individual religions, or most any religious text I'm familiar with (again, there's probably some crazy ones out there - I haven't read them ALL), hate or condemn non-religious people, or people who don't hold their beliefs, or whatever, or that they think all such people have some kind of terrible conspiracy, or that is necessarily trying to be imposed, or that some particular political group has control of religion, or is being led by it, or accurately reflects it, that is just as wrong as assuming that all liberals are wanton hedons who love abortion. I get to enjoy both sides of bashing here. But forcing through secularization has no more objective basis to it than forcing through religious set of beliefs 4742, and it annoys me that people keep touting it like it does. Sure, there's not the ethical license to impose one's religion on another (nor is this actually efficaciously possible), but there's also not the ethical license to stop people from bringing that to the table - it is a legitimate part of who they are.

This extends beyond the Bible of course - they do this with just about everything, and it drives me nuts. A shooting at a theatre in Colorado, and we get the left trying to use it to bolster anti-gun laws and the right trying to use it to bolster pro-gun laws, and everyone misses the point. I mean, yes, there is a correct answer there politically (I believe that it is that you need an incredibly good reason to be able to own a lethal firearm), but hello! That is not the real issue. The real issue is that there are people who are dead, killed by another human being. We need to mourn them, support their families, and change the culture so that people don't want to do that. Because legal or not does not matter nearly so much as that. Basically, politics is incredibly overrated.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2012, 03:01:21 pm »
+2

the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah?

I would like to call upon a being with more powers than I to destroy this thread.
Why? Why can't people disagree with each other? What is so wrong with that? Why do we have to run away from that and pretend it doesn't exist? That generally just ends up building more resentment, and letting it sit and brew, than letting people get what they want to out in the open.

Taco Lobster

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2012, 03:09:50 pm »
+1

Why can't people crap in the streets?

Because we have a designated place for crapping, and the street is not that place.  Nor are places like toilets (say, any body of water) that aren't actually toilets.  People who need to crap, can crap in the toilet in peace.  People who don't need to crap at that particular moment, can live a relatively crap free life.  No one's asking you not to crap, just that you do it in the appropriate place.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2012, 03:13:18 pm »
+2

Because there's no "need" to have discussions that produce nothing of worth and change no one's mind, while risking incivility and disrespect.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 21 queries.