Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Mafia Ethics  (Read 2225 times)

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
    • View Profile
Mafia Ethics
« on: July 29, 2012, 11:40:35 am »

I want there to be a consensus on this before another huge mafia game.

It came up a couple times in MVI whether someone's "real life" claims were true or false.

I think it should absolutely be OK for mafia to lie about light irl claims - e.g. - I'm not going to have internet access until tomorrow = I will check in two hours and quickhammer if we win.

But I do see a couple problems with allowing unlimited false "real life" claims. The problem is, I can imagine something horrible where someone says "I'm sorry, but I can't participate today, my sister died in her sleep last night," and everyone else has strong reason to doubt the claim but obviously is not going to do so out loud for fear of looking like a monster. [yes, this is an exaggeration; no, nobody would think to go to the mafia forum in this circumstance, but i can imagine more borderline cases where I feel wrong calling somebody out on what is probably a lie]

Frisk suggested the best solution is all real life claims must be real which I think is the best rule I can come up with. I just want it somewhere public instead of buried in MVI.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia Ethics
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 11:58:32 am »

Its good to bring this up before we actually face a problem.

Would anyone happen to know whats the ruling in mafiascum? Surely ehunt isnt the first to think about this.

How about, dont post in the thread unless you are fine with people questioning it (ie pm the mod if its something really huge)? And dont lie to the mod ofc.

edit just because i can: i dont have any strong feelings either way, not being allowed to lie about real life sounds ok too, not like I ever even thought about doing that anyways.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 11:59:36 am by Eevee »

Young Nick

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 12:06:32 pm »

It would make sense to me to just not be able to lie about IRL claims. I guess some consider it strategy, but those who are proponents of it are, what's the word I'm looking for, oh yeah...scummy.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 12:13:48 pm »

Vote: eevee for editing.

The reason why I proposed that all real life claims be real was to (hopefully) prevent real life from interfering with the game.

If I was killed as mafia during my feud with eHunt because I was driving to vermont and got stuck  in a traffic accident, I'd just feel bad for messing up the game state.

There is plenty of flexibility to allow for mafia to be scummy and truthful

In my mind: an "acceptable" misdirection:

Hey guys - my wife has given me a honeydo list and I'm not sure how much I'll be looking at the computer today - is almost certainly "truthful" - I always have a honeydo list, yet still allows for mafia to quick hammer whenever they want.

This would be unacceptable for 3 reasons:

Hey guys - I participate in an underground fight club and was beaten within an inch of my life.  I'm about to go to the hospital.  I won't be able to post for at least the next 12 hours while I'm in surgery.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Young Nick

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 12:35:25 pm »

#1: You broke the first rule of Fight Club.
#2: You broke the second rule of Fight Club.
#3:   ??

Just kidding, #3 is that it is a blatantly untruthful lie.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 01:03:09 pm »

In Mafia IV I lied about being RL upset at pops for restricting conversation (sorry pops!). I was actually laughing because he was putting such a target on his back. If you knew me IRL you would probably know that something like that would neeever get me worked up, but the anonymity of the forum allows scum to have a bit of wiggle room that they might not have among RL friends. I would definitely like the freedom to take advantage of the fact that the people on here don't really know me, but I can understand why using a RL excuse like those above might not be fair.

I agree with Frisk that there's almost always gonna be a workaround. The problem with this whole deal is that there's no way to verify whether something is true or not. Even mafia could really have a family emergency that will take some of their time.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 01:48:31 pm »

I think the most important rule mafiascum has adopted is the one that bans gamebreaking meta strategies; ie, "every time this player posts something in bold it is true, regardless of game".
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 02:01:51 pm »

I think that if you have a true, IRL emergency, you should PM the mod to explain--and obviously, you are prohibited from lying to the mod. Anything said in the thread could be true or not, and I don't really have a problem with that.

However, if people prefer the rule that anything said about IRL in thread must be true, that's okay, too.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 05:21:27 pm »

dsell makes a good point that you definitely need to fakeclaim IRL emotional states at some point or other. it sounds like we can just have a community consensus not to fakeclaim IRL emergencies, with mild IRL lies ok.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 05:42:57 pm »

I would never lie about RL stuff, and i would always belive people who state it.

This is a game and i wouldnt want rl to be affected.

Also, if a RL emergency comes up that would occupy me for several days the last thing im going to be thinking of is forum games!
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 03:12:43 am »

I would never lie about RL stuff, and i would always belive people who state it.

This is a game and i wouldnt want rl to be affected.

Also, if a RL emergency comes up that would occupy me for several days the last thing im going to be thinking of is forum games!

I'm with Ozle here though I don't really care if people are lying
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 06:24:49 pm »

In MIV I had a plan to check on Gloob/jo twinclaim in this fashion (3:30, Game of Thrones Season 2 spoilers):
#t=211s

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 06:57:45 pm »

In MIV I had a plan to check on Gloob/jo twinclaim in this fashion (3:30, Game of Thrones Season 2 spoilers):
#t=211s
Not the best plan.  If they answered similarly, things wouldn't have ended well for you!
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 06:02:09 pm »

Its good to bring this up before we actually face a problem.

Would anyone happen to know whats the ruling in mafiascum?

Mafiascum is split on it, with the majority tolerating IRL lying if I recall the discussion correctly.  Most cases that come up for discussion are players who claim to be going through difficult life situations that render them unable to post as often as usual, then they flip scum and admit (or, scarier, never admit) that that was a lie.

I worked my butt off one game as SK for a player to do that and win with the scum faction.  It ticked me off because I didn't expect anyone to think that's ok, but then people were like "well whatever".  A lot of people say, "policy lynch everyone who doesn't post much and assume they're lying about RL", but, I just don't buy into that I guess.  I think I shouldn't be expected to predict whose computer is broken and whose computer is fake broken, or have to policy lynch everyone who doesn't post for two days.

The idea of lying about deaths in the family and serious illness is just so out of line it doesn't come up.  People only lie about availability with milder reasons.

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 06:05:51 pm »

i feel that if a real emergency comes up, the player should be replaced
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2012, 06:08:18 pm »

i feel that if a real emergency comes up, the player should be replaced

I'm saying, no one fakes emergencies, it's too blackhearted.  They go with overtime hours at work or somesuch.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 19 queries.