Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Some card ideas  (Read 2623 times)

Fangz

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
Some card ideas
« on: July 26, 2011, 04:55:12 am »

Some card ideas I've been batting around in my head. Apologies if they've been mentioned previously.

Freakshow (cost $4)

Worth 1 VP for every curse you have.

---

Think of it as consolation gardens you pick up if you've been screwed over with curses and have no trasher. One will cancel the VP effect of curses. More will be duchies, or even better. Also offers an alternative route to victory for players finding themselves with vast amounts of +Buy.

Scientist (Cost: $6)

+1 Action
Do this twice: Return a card to supply and gain one of equal or lower cost into your hand.

---

The idea is to add versatility to a hand and rescue it from an early mistake. For example, failing to grab a cheap +Buy. Also will save you when you draw a bunch of KCs and nothing to play with them. Returning to supply is important - trashing would make this extremely effective at depleting the provinces pile.

Bribe (Cost $4)

All other players with more than 4 cards in their hand reveal their hands. Choose one card for each player. They must discard it.

---

Laser guided militia or cutpurse that is effective in the late game.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 05:51:38 am by Fangz »

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
Re: Some card ideas
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 09:54:12 am »

We know from the histories provided by Donald X. that Cutpurse used to be "Name a treasure, each other player discards it".  In testing, the old version of Cutpurse was overpowered, and Bribe is strictly better than it, so I am sure it would be ridiculously strong.

I don't think I would ever buy Scientists, especially at $6.  I don't really think it would work well for what you describe.  You would have to notice your mistake, have $6 to buy it, and then get lucky enough for it to come up with the cards you are trying to swap out.  It could be really good if there was a combo on the board that used equal cost cards so you could always get the right cards.  The combo would have to be powerful enough to lose a card for.

The Freakshow idea might work, but 1VP per curse seems too strong.  If you managed to get all the curses (I guess your opponent should stop this, but still), the first one still puts you even, and the rest are $4 Colonies.  With 3+ players they could get even more ridiculous.  Workshop/Freakshow would be stronger than Workshop/Gardens.

Elyv

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 10:40:23 am »

We know from the histories provided by Donald X. that Cutpurse used to be "Name a treasure, each other player discards it".  In testing, the old version of Cutpurse was overpowered, and Bribe is strictly better than it, so I am sure it would be ridiculously strong.
Bribe doesn't give you any money, so I'm not even convinced it's good unless you're being evil with King's Court or some such.

Fangz

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 10:42:41 am »

Well, cutpurse also provides +$2, while bribe is a straight attacker. It's also balanced by the 5 or more cards thing - this ensures it can't stack, unlike oldCutpurse which if played by multiple players would strip all the treasures from your hand. The main role of Bribe is a defense against single strong cards - e.g. possessions, treasure map, single early golds..., and as an in hand deck inspector, which could be useful with some strategies. Possibly it can do with a +1 action so it's easier to make use of. Compared with Sea Hag, Bribe hits this turn and hits much harder, but isn't lingering, and doesn't run out of usefulness in the late game.

Scientist I think would be a strong card for use in the late part of the game. With peddlers, it'd be terrifying, of course, but its main point is smoothing variance in draw engines. Stuck with 2 $5 drawers? Turn one of them into a village. Alchemists not turning up potions? Turn an excess terminal into one. You might even want to downgrade cards into estates to facilitate a baron. This is especially the case with games where players are laden down with duchies - losing 3 VP is a price I'd usually be glad to pay for a chance of getting a big turn. It's an insurance policy.

The difference between Freakshow and Gardens is that the cards you get are guaranteed to be useless. Workshop gardens for example relies on a good $2 buy (cellar, haven, pawn, etc) to grease the workshop engine, and at worst you are buying coppers which will let you get other stuff. Freakshow/Workshop leaves you possibly stuck with a deck filled with curses, and it's a fairly obvious strategy because it requires a large number of turns to acquire curses and freakshows, giving your opponent time for countermeasures like saboteuring, rabbling, or acquiring curses themselves.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 10:58:21 am by Fangz »

kazztawdal

• Salvager
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 02:20:50 pm »

I kind of like Scientist.  You buy one $5 Action, and then if you have a Scientist, your $5 Action is now, practically speaking, any $5 Action on the board.

I'd pay $5 for Scientist, but it would be situational, ie, there are a ton of good cards with the same price and I don't want to risk colliding terminals, etc.

I would rarely use it to downgrade a card unless I was positive it would give me a Colony right then and there.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 02:24:56 pm »

I totally missed the lack of +$2.  It might be okay.  I guess my revised opinion is that it seems a bit like Saboteur then.  It is a brutal attack, but no benefit to you, so it would probably be bad.  The attack might be too strong still.  It more than doesn't run out of usefulness in the late game.  I think in a lot of situations, being able to blast a single card of your choice would almost always be able to stop a Colony or Province buy, and that isn't even counting all the ramp up it prevented early on.  I guess without play testing, it is impossible to know.

Workshop/Gardens relies on a good $2 buy sure, but Workshop/Freakshow can just rely on a good $0 buy of curse.  It might end up balanced in practice, but forcing your opponent to either make it a mirror match, or buy curses (or 0VP Freakshows) to block you seems pretty annoying.  I feel like this would be better at 1/2 or 2/3 VP per curse since that would prevent it from being worth as much as colonies.  It would be a fairly uncommon occurrence, but I think this would be totally crazy with Hamlet or Worker's Village.

Fangz

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 04:33:13 pm »

Hmm, what about boosting Freakshow to a $5 buy, so that it isn't workshoppable/ironworkable? It'll still be preferable to a duchy if the user has more than three curses, and if not, if could be something to grab if the player has lots of +buy to spend on curses, or has a clever set up with embargo.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 20 queries.