Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Clasic_Cards #12 - Trick Coin  (Read 4262 times)

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
  • Respect: +80
    • View Profile
Clasic_Cards #12 - Trick Coin
« on: July 27, 2012, 09:25:57 pm »

Trick Coin (4)
Treasure - Reaction
$1
When you buy this, gain a Silver.
-----
When you discard this, you may reveal it. If you do, Silver cards you play this turn produce $3 instead and Silver cards other players play this turn produce $1 instead.

• I like these symmetrical designs. It's neat to have effects cross-over and mean different things for different players.
  • I don't think the counter-attack is too harsh to sway people from buying Militia type attacks, but I've been wrong before.
  • $4 feels like a good cost for this, but I could also imagine it at $5. It's somewhat of a menace to Silver heavy games.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 09:42:54 pm by Rush_Clasic »

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
Re: Clasic_Cards #12 - Trick Coin
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 09:28:01 pm »

Probably should be reveal and set aside instead, sorta like HT.
A man on a mission.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 09:29:03 pm »

Stacking in multiplayer...? You should probably point out that Silvers can't produce less than $0.

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 09:43:51 pm »

Wait, what should be set aside?

Stacking in multiplayer...? You should probably point out that Silvers can't produce less than $0.

One of these days I'll remember about stacking every time I design a card. For now... *edits*
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 09:45:06 pm by Rush_Clasic »

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 10:15:53 pm »

The card should be, instead of being discarded.  Otherwise there is nothing to remind players of Silver's new value.
A man on a mission.

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 11:25:25 pm »

Does this counter / otherwise interact with itself?

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 11:30:45 pm »

I really like this card, but there are few times where I would actually buy it. Great for VP rushes, but the last ability is gonna be hard to use. Like Tunnel, you will have to have some enabler. Unlike Tunnel, it isn't worth building a strategy around.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 02:02:49 am »

The card should be, instead of being discarded.  Otherwise there is nothing to remind players of Silver's new value.

Ah. I can see why you'd want that, and your argument has some merit. Horse Traders isn't exactly a perfect example; it sets itself aside so it can put itself back into your hand. I don't think it's a huge concern, but I'll let playtesting decide that.

Yes. If I discard one and you discard one, Silvers will produce $2 for both of us.

FishingVillage

• Bishop
  • Respect: +28
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 02:45:52 am »

Yes. If I discard one and you discard one, Silvers will produce $2 for both of us.
If that were the case, maybe it'd make more sense to go back to saying that the value of silver increases/decreases by $1 (but doesn't provide less than $0). The wording as it is currently appears to be assigning values rather than being modifications of the original value, so it's not clear that they neutralize each other the way you described.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 02:59:03 am »

If you're going to have it affect other players, it has to be a duration.  If it is a duration, you need something to signify when the effect ends.  As it is right now, it doesn't affect your opponents at all because "this turn" is your turn, during which they do not play any cards at all.  Treasure-Duration... peculiar. :P

And as others have mentioned, the current wording "sets" the value, so having two players play the card will not neutralize.

I'm not sure how I feel about the effect.  It reminds me of the original Cutpurse (which increased the cost of all cards by $1 during opponents' turns) but was changed due to various issues.  This similarly makes it more difficult for opponents to buy cards.  Still, there are ways around it -- just find a non-Silver strategy.  Dunno.

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 03:04:21 am »

If that were the case, maybe it'd make more sense to go back to saying that the value of silver increases/decreases by $1 (but doesn't provide less than $0). The wording as it is currently appears to be assigning values rather than being modifications of the original value, so it's not clear that they neutralize each other the way you described.

I was responding to the old version. I really need to keep track of what I'm posting before I post it.

As written right now, the last card discarded would take precedence. Which means some precedent would have to be set for what order cards are discard when two players (including the active player) are discarding.

If you're going to have it affect other players, it has to be a duration.  If it is a duration, you need something to signify when the effect ends.  As it is right now, it doesn't affect your opponents at all because "this turn" is your turn, during which they do not play any cards at all.  Treasure-Duration... peculiar. :P

It doesn't need to be a duration. Rather, only one of the effects will matter: the one that pumps your Silvers will matter if you discard this on your turn, the one that lowers other player's Silvers will matter if you discard this on another player's turn.

I worded it that way because it's cleaner. I don't see it as being difficult to understand, but given that you understood the card the way you think I intended it, I may have to look at uglier wordings.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 03:06:24 am by Rush_Clasic »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 03:12:29 am »

Huh.  OK, that makes sense too.  But I think those are two different reactions, so maybe you need to put them in two different sections...

I like this idea less than what I thought it was, because that makes this card a targeted attack that comes only as a reaction.  I don't know.  I'm not a fan of reactions that actively hurt the attacker, because it just makes you afraid to play the attack.  ::)

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2012, 12:10:32 pm »

Huh.  OK, that makes sense too.  But I think those are two different reactions, so maybe you need to put them in two different sections...

I like this idea less than what I thought it was, because that makes this card a targeted attack that comes only as a reaction.  I don't know.  I'm not a fan of reactions that actively hurt the attacker, because it just makes you afraid to play the attack.  ::)

I know the game tries to avoid that. I was curious to see if this effect was bad enough that it would stop you from buying Militia and its ilk. If there's room for counter-attacks to exist, it's with minor effects.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 20 queries.