Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: My challenge #5 card : Farmer (Ford)  (Read 2019 times)

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
My challenge #5 card : Farmer (Ford)
« on: July 27, 2012, 12:53:50 pm »

Farmer
$3 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
Look at the top 5 cards of your decks. Discard all cards that have the same name as any other cards you reveal.
Put the rest back on top in any order.

Someone said it could be too strong. I don't think so, because although you will often discard coppers and estate, sometimes you will discard very good cards. It is a menagerie enabler, but sometimes you will discard two menageries which is very bad.
I'm bad at finding names, too. I thought of Farmer because it fits with the cornucopia theme, but it's not very thematic otherwise.

Any critic, suggestion ?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 02:48:07 pm by brokoli »

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
Re: My challenge #5 card : Farmer (Ford)
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 01:07:54 pm »

I think that's a really interesting idea and not at all overpowered, primarily because of the lack of control you have over what it discards.  I mean, you can control it by what you choose to put in your deck, but if it takes work and/or specific circumstances to unlock a powerful feature of a card, that's okay.  Menagerie is an example of just such a card.  A double-Laboratory for $3 is way better than what this card can do for you, which is a Cartographer, tops.

You should specify what you do with the undiscarded cards, though.  "Put the rest back on top in any order" would be the usual verbiage.  The "any order" part isn't strictly necessarily, but it's in keeping with the spirit of Dominion.  Donald specifically designed such cards with "put back in any order" clauses so players wouldn't have to keep track of what order the cards came off the deck in.

I like that, in the right deck, it basically filters out Coppers, Estates, and Curses for free (minus the opportunity cost of buying one, of course).  But it does take the right deck.  You don't want it in a Hunting Party, Minion, or Conspirator stack, for example, or a Torturer chain.  That's why I think it's okay at $3.  It takes a niche and even then will be uncertain.  But yeah, with Cornucopia cards or Black Market, it could be terrific.

Playtesting might show that a different number of cards might be an improvement.  I could imagine you might want to look at 6 cards rather than 5, although 5 seems like the right place to start.

Kelume

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +76
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 02:35:02 pm »

It just doesn't seem like something that is actually beneficial in most cases. After a few buys, what are the cards that you're going to have 4+ of (and thus be what this will get rid of)? Coppers - sure, for an engine, this is helpful. For money, it may not even be.

In a money game, it could ruin a province hand just as much as create one - discarding two silvers, putting gold/copper/estate back on top; exacerbated by curses. By the end of the game (buying Duchies) you want those coppers and they're still your most likely discard if you have say, 3 estates, 3 provinces, and a smattering of curses.

In a slimmed engine, you're quite likely to toss Peddlers, Villages, etc.

It just seems like a vastly less versatile/helpful version of Apothecary.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 02:36:59 pm by Kelume »

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 03:37:51 pm »

If it's too weak, maybe putting the +card _after_ the filtering would make it more interesting? (It might also cost more than $3 then, too.)

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 04:05:30 pm »

Farming-themed name: Thresher, because it separates the wheat from the chaff?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.