Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Cards you think are underrated/overrated  (Read 20168 times)

Graystripe77

• Tactician
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
Re: Cards you think are underrated/overrated
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2012, 07:58:52 pm »

Actually, chwhite, Warehouse isn't the only amazing TM enabler. Inn is pure awesome for this purpose. I once activated 3 sets of TM's in one game using Inn.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2012, 09:17:54 pm »

Actually, chwhite, Warehouse isn't the only amazing TM enabler. Inn is pure awesome for this purpose. I once activated 3 sets of TM's in one game using Inn.
Why on earth would you want to activate 3 sets of TMs in one game?

Graystripe77

• Tactician
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2012, 10:37:46 pm »
+4

Why on earth would you want to activate 3 sets of TMs in one game?

when your opponent sucks and you want to have fun.

methods of rationality

• Bishop
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2012, 11:45:45 pm »
+1

Governor: ridiculously overrated

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2012, 11:56:56 pm »
+2

Pirate Ship is underrated.  It's so often dismissed out of hand, but it can be very powerful when fully charged, particularly in longer games, or games where there are little or no other sources of Action coin.  Sure, the first couple hits will be Coppers, helping your opponent, but trashing only three Coppers turns it into a cheaper Mandarin that doesn't make you put a card back.  Of course, they're better if you can play them more often (Golem, Throne Room, King's Court and Scheme all help with this), but most cards are like that anyway.  Not all cards have to be knockouts with just one play per shuffle (I thumb my nose at you, Jack of all Trades).
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

PigFiend

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2012, 12:56:39 am »

Bishop is a very overrated opener.
Effective non-terminal card draw like Lab and Hunting Party can help it, but in the absence of such, I usually feel pretty confident when my opponent starts with Bishop.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2012, 01:45:03 am »
+1

Watchtower.

It's a great counter to hand size reducers as well as Cursers. And in non Attack games I usually pick up one  for the nice Royal Seal effect.

In my opinion, it is the best rection and is way underrated.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2012, 03:47:05 am »
+1

Watchtower.

It's a great counter to hand size reducers as well as Cursers. And in non Attack games I usually pick up one  for the nice Royal Seal effect.

I think Watchtower might get a boost in Dark Ages. You can gain cards and trash them (Feoda, Cultist) immediately with Watchtower, only to get the on-trash effect.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2012, 12:12:19 pm »

Watchtower.

I think Watchtower might get a boost in Dark Ages. You can gain cards and trash them (Feoda, Cultist) immediately with Watchtower, only to get the on-trash effect.

I've been noticing that too. And it seems that almost all the cards in the set will have a benefit when trashed, so hopefully this'll help the community recognize how good a card Watchtower really is.  :)

Rhombus

• Bishop
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2012, 02:20:29 pm »

Warehouse - underrated
Baron - underrated
Mining Villae - underrated
Jack - overrated
Remake - overrated
Militia - overrated
Pirate Ship - underrated (yes, seriously)
Tactician - underrated (most likely the best non-attack action card, IMO)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2012, 02:47:57 pm »
+2

King's Court?  Wharf?

Coone

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2012, 06:07:09 pm »
+2

I would have to agree that island is underrated.  I think it's misunderstood.  People (or at least a past-version of me) tend to view it as nothing more than a pseudo-trasher that is supposed to get the estates out of the way.  Usually this approach costs too much time, and thus sometimes the game.  Now I look at it as a sweet consolidation prizes in a big money game.  If you're deck has started to green to the extent where you can't buy provinces, island gives the possibility (granted you'll see another two reshuffles, so we're assuming not too late into the province race) of not only gaining a couple extra points but also clearing up your deck just a little in the late game.

I think Kings Court is overrated, not because it isn't as powerful as people think, but because it increases the luck factor.  In most games (especially those with plus buys), whoever connects the kings court combo first wins.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2012, 08:33:12 pm »

I'm not sure how a card which is so powerful that getting a combo with it off first wins the game would be overrated.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 03:28:33 am by jonts26 »

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2012, 03:19:20 am »
+1

I probably overrate of underrate all of the DA cards.  ::)
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Rhombus

• Bishop
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2012, 03:49:54 am »

King's Court?  Wharf?

In most games, I'll take a single Tactician over a single Wharf.  King's Court is undoubtedly the strongest card.  Wharves are good especially if you can chain them, and even one is strong, but there are so many combos with Tactician - it's very underrated and such an amazing card when used correctly.

Tactician is my highest win rate given avail with 1.61 and I purchase it 93.9% of the time vs 64.7% for the average player.  It is also my highest % purchased card.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2012, 04:30:06 am »
+2

King's Court?  Wharf?

In most games, I'll take a single Tactician over a single Wharf.  King's Court is undoubtedly the strongest card.  Wharves are good especially if you can chain them, and even one is strong, but there are so many combos with Tactician - it's very underrated and such an amazing card when used correctly.

Tactician is my highest win rate given avail with 1.61 and I purchase it 93.9% of the time vs 64.7% for the average player.  It is also my highest % purchased card.

Well sure, but would you really only buy a single Wharf? :P

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2012, 11:38:10 pm »

King's Court?  Wharf?

If it was in the BM deck.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Coone

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2012, 11:57:07 pm »

I'm not sure how a card which is so powerful that getting a combo with it off first wins the game would be overrated.

Well I'm not saying its power is overrated at all.  I'm saying its effect on game play is overrated.  People rightfully say it can make ridiculous combos, but more than likely these combos are going to be connected by luck rather than cleverly crafted foresight  Thus two equally skilled players can be playing equally viable strategies, but the first to hit kings court will win by a landslide instead of winning by a turn.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2012, 09:07:37 am »
+1

Well I'm not saying its power is overrated at all.  I'm saying its effect on game play is overrated.  People rightfully say it can make ridiculous combos, but more than likely these combos are going to be connected by luck rather than cleverly crafted foresight  Thus two equally skilled players can be playing equally viable strategies, but the first to hit kings court will win by a landslide instead of winning by a turn.
But... that IS an enormous effect on gameplay. Like if you had a card just like treasure map, but instead of getting four golds on deck, you just won the game outright, then that's a really strong card with a really big effect on gameplay, even though it's really swingy.

I guess you are saying that you think it's increasing of the amount of fun (or maybe skill) in the game is not so high, but on the skill front, it is consistently ranked one of the few swingiest cards, and on the fun front, well, different people like different things.

noon

• Swindler
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2012, 03:40:06 pm »

King's Court?  Wharf?

Three wharves is best with big money.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2012, 05:23:00 pm »

King's Court?  Wharf?

Three wharves is best with big money.
You cant get three if it is in the BM deck. You can only get one.

Mad, I tell you.

engineer

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2012, 08:22:47 pm »

Sure you can.  As your deck bloats with cash, the risk of terminal collision is low, and you want to add some wharves to have a chance of drawing more than one per shuffle.  Terminal collision is still possible, but if you have 25 cards worth of money and vp, then the chance of 2 wharves showing up in one 5-card hand are pretty low.

Let's use some conditional probability.  I have a total of, say, 25 cards, including 2 wharves, with the rest being money/VP.  I just reshuffled my deck and I didn't play a wharf last hand.  The first time a single wharf shows up in my hand, it will appear with 4 other random cards.  When I play it, I will draw 2 more, so I will see a total of 6 cards in addition to the wharf I just played. The chance that one of those 6 cards is the other wharf is 6/24, which is only 25%.

If you bought only one wharf, you've got an extra silver (or possibly a gold) in your deck, but I have a 75% chance to draw an extra 4 cards spread over 2 hands from my second wharf on every shuffle.  That's a huge boost.  In addition, since wharf is a duration, I can virtually ensure that I avoid terminal collision when I play a wharf just before a shuffle.  The unplayed wharf is shuffled into my deck, while the played one stays out for another turn.

Bottom line: 2x wharf BM beats 1x wharf BM every time.  Try it out for yourself.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2012, 08:26:53 pm »
+2

Sure you can.  As your deck bloats with cash, the risk of terminal collision is low, and you want to add some wharves to have a chance of drawing more than one per shuffle.  Terminal collision is still possible, but if you have 25 cards worth of money and vp, then the chance of 2 wharves showing up in one 5-card hand are pretty low.

Let's use some conditional probability.  I have a total of, say, 25 cards, including 2 wharves, with the rest being money/VP.  I just reshuffled my deck and I didn't play a wharf last hand.  The first time a single wharf shows up in my hand, it will appear with 4 other random cards.  When I play it, I will draw 2 more, so I will see a total of 6 cards in addition to the wharf I just played. The chance that one of those 6 cards is the other wharf is 6/24, which is only 25%.

If you bought only one wharf, you've got an extra silver (or possibly a gold) in your deck, but I have a 75% chance to draw an extra 4 cards spread over 2 hands from my second wharf on every shuffle.  That's a huge boost.  In addition, since wharf is a duration, I can virtually ensure that I avoid terminal collision when I play a wharf just before a shuffle.  The unplayed wharf is shuffled into my deck, while the played one stays out for another turn.

Bottom line: 2x wharf BM beats 1x wharf BM every time.  Try it out for yourself.

You know, BM doesn't just mean "Big Money".  It can also mean "Black Market". ;)

engineer

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2012, 08:32:32 pm »

You know, BM doesn't just mean "Big Money".  It can also mean "Black Market". ;)

Oh, hahaha!  I see what happened there.  Whoops!

noon

• Swindler
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2012, 12:11:49 am »

Oops ... yeah that makes a lot more sense.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 21 queries.