Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Remodel  (Read 21735 times)

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
Remodel
« on: July 27, 2012, 01:33:51 am »
+8

Remodel is one of the more interesting cards in the base set. It’s one of only 2 cards (Chapel) capable of trashing Estates! It also shows up in the first game set so it’s one of the first cards you see, and man does it seem cool. You quickly get the idea that you can remodel Estate=>Remodel=>Gold=>Province! But then you eventually you realize that turns out to actually be pretty slow. So pure Remodel isn’t a good strategy, but surely there’ some use for the card, but what is it?

To figure that out, we need to first identify what’s good and bad about the card:

Good:
1. Can trash Estates
2. Allows you to gain multiple cards in the same turn
3. Adds $2 of value to your deck every time you play it

Bad:
1. Uses a terminal action
2. Uses up 2 cards from your hand (leaving you with only 3 if you didn't draw any)
3. You may not have a suitable card to remodel in hand
4. Silver is cheaper and is a treasure that adds $2 of value to your deck every time you play it!

Considering the bad points, good point 3 doesn’t look so hot, so we need to focus on 1 and 2. Point 2 is the biggest one, because you can’t always pair your Remodel with an Estate. Sure the first one is easy, and you get it 80% of the time, but then once you’ve trashed one and added a few more cards to your deck, getting the two to collide is no longer automatic.

So the key situations we’re looking for are those where you want to be getting multiple cards rather than just buying one more expensive card (adding the $2 value to your buy as you would with Silver). There are 2 types of situations where this occurs:

1. Late game when you want to get multiple victory cards.

For example, if you have $8 including a Gold, instead of buying a Province, you can remodel the Gold into a Province and buy a Duchy, or a whole host of similar things, including Remodeling your action cards into Duchies or even Copper into Estate if you have $1 to spare. There are also applications where you can get a Province you wouldn’t otherwise be able to afford, if you have a $6+ card and nothing else good to go with it, particularly something like a Peddler or Border Village. You can even remodel a Province into a Province or Duchy into Duchy to drain the pile and potentially screw up parity so you can win a split 4/3. On many occasions, it’s worth sneaking in a late Remodel with a spare small purchase so on the last time or two through your deck, you can play these little tricks. Of course, it works better if you’re drawing up to large hands, because then you can be reasonably be sure to actually pull it off. The presence of Remodel may also lead you to want to green slightly earlier than usual in anticipation of these Remodel shenanigans.

2. When you’re building an engine that needs a lot a cheap (sub-$5) cards.

One of the biggest drawbacks of Remodel is that it uses up 2 cards from your hand, leaving you with very little purchasing power. A typical early Remodel hand lets you trash an Estate, gain a $4 card, and buy a $3 card. If you had Silver instead, you’d just keep the Estate and buy a $5 card. So when early $5 cards are critical, you don’t want to open Remodel. But if you’re building an engine that masses cards costing $2-4, and doesn’t really need $5 cards, then you’re in business. Remodel ends up working like a Workshop that also trashes Estates! Remodel openings tend to be best for things like Caravan chains, Menagerie engines, Fishing Village/Watchtower, Warehouse/Conspirator, or Village/Smithy. Notice that all of these engines not only consist primarily of cheap cards, but they also provide enough drawing/cycling to allow your Remodel to keep finding something good to hit. It’s also pretty important to have something worth getting at $2, like Cellar/Pawn/Hamlet/Haven or even Pearl Diver in case you find yourself with nothing to remodel but Coppers.

While Remodel openings are best for when you primarily want cheap cards, it can also work in situations where you still want key $5 cards along with a lot of cheap support cards (typically villages). With Remodel openings, you can still hit $5 on your non-Remodel hands, you just run the risk hitting $5 less often early on. If you can afford to take that risk in order to be able to trash your Estates and get a bunch of cheap support cards, go for it! The fact that it offers light trashing in addition to the card gaining, allows you to get a good enough village density to make a draw engine viable even in the absence of heavy trashers. It can also work nicely in conjunction with other single-card trashers, particularly Loan and Lookout, since they cost $3 and can be opened along with Remodel, when you need a little more trashing than Remodel alone can provide.

Examples:

DG pulls of a nice Coppersmith/Caravan engine with a Remodel opening in his article on game planning.

The first game set famously supports a nice Village/Smithy engine enabled by a Remodel opening that can consistently allow you to draw your whole deck by around turn 8, and with a little luck get 8 Provinces in 15 turns! Geronimoo also wrote a simulator article about it.

And a bunch of less well-analyzed ones that I just dug up from my games over the past 3 months:
Opening Remodel/Loan to build a Menagerie engine vs a Mountebank opening.
Using it as better trashing than Jack in a Festival/Wharf/Highway engine.
Enabling a Wharf engine vs Wharf BM.
In a Margrave/Nobles/Walled Village engine for Fabian's Game Analysis Series, Game #1

Works with:
  • Cheap Labs: Caravan, Menagerie, Wishing Well(?)
  • Engines powered by cheap terminal draw: Watchtower, Smithy, Envoy
  • All types of villages
  • Other (semi-)massable cheap non-terminals: Conspirator, Tournament, Scheme, Warehouse, Fool's Gold
  • Expensive cards you get for cheap: Peddler, Border Village
  • Colony (and longer games in general)
  • Other light trashers: Loan, Lookout

Doesn’t work with:
  • Strong trashers (which you should usually open instead of Remodel): Chapel, Ambassador, Remake, Steward
  • Power 5s you need to hit early
  • Big Money
  • Lack of $2 cards
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 01:12:38 pm by HiveMindEmulator »

Asklepios

• Duke
  • Respect: +117
    • View Profile
Re: Remodel
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 09:20:11 am »

I can't present evidence for this, but I've often found that a single Remodel increases the efficiency of Governor-rushing, as it brings your governors close together, and you've got a spare terminal action anyway, and lets you make your last gold->province without giving your opponent a $4->duchy, or alternatively, lets you do that $4->duchy thing if your opponent hits the Governor boom switch first.

Also, I've found it works reasonably well with Highway, as it clears the path for Highway chaining and can give you more value because of the Highways. Works even better if you have a decent $4 to remodel estates, especially Worker's Village. In this case, of course, its more of a case of making the already powerful Highway/Worker Village even more powerful.

I'd agree entirely though that any stronger trasher works better in both these circumstances, and would also agree about the stated disadvantages of Remodel, especially the tempo slowing effect of playing 3 card hands, which I think a lot of people underestimate.

Theres also a real trap in remodelling estates to remodel. If there isn't another good $4 card there you too often end up with hands of copper + more than one remodel... and then what are you supposed to do? Remodel to Gold? Sure, but you'd have been faster getting to a decent deck with silver / silver...

On the other hand, say you have Border Village or Grand Market there, and it gets a lot more interesting...

Oh, which brings me to the other point. Grand Market is a card that makes Remodel better.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 09:24:34 am by Asklepios »

Asklepios

• Duke
  • Respect: +117
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 09:36:37 am »

Ok. Here we go: If I'm reading it right, this says that if you have 3 governors or more, then a single remodel makes the deck stronger. I could be wrong, of course, I suck an interpreting stats:

http://councilroom.com/optimal_card_ratios?card_x=Governor&card_y=Remodel

I guess the better way to do this is to simulate, but I don't know if anyone has got to simulating Governor well yet. Also, opening Remodel on a Governor board seems dumb, so I couldn't say for sure when the best time to buy/gain it would be.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 09:38:51 am by Asklepios »

rbruba

• Swindler
  • Respect: +31
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 12:25:15 pm »

Ok. Here we go: If I'm reading it right, this says that if you have 3 governors or more, then a single remodel makes the deck stronger. I could be wrong, of course, I suck an interpreting stats:

I guess the better way to do this is to simulate, but I don't know if anyone has got to simulating Governor well yet. Also, opening Remodel on a Governor board seems dumb, so I couldn't say for sure when the best time to buy/gain it would be.

It looks to me (and I may be reading it wrong as well) that only when you have 4 or 7 Governors does this table indicate that a single Remodel helps (1.08 to 1.09, and 1.31 to 1.34 respectively). Again I may not be reading it right.

For final ratio, it looks like indeed 7 governors and 1 remodel is best.

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 12:44:55 pm »

Excellent article.
As you have shown in the examples, Remodel/Loan is a nice opening when there are good $4 cantrip around (I've done it with caravan).

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 01:35:26 pm »

As rbruba points out, you have to look for an increase between 0 Remodels and 1 Remodel to say it actually helps. 3 Governor + 1 Remodel has a positive win rate, but is worse than 3 Governors + 0 Remodels.

That said, there is an intutive synergy because Governor both increases hand size to find Remodel targets and provides a source of Golds to Remodel. The trouble is, just as you mention, that it's hard to find the timing to buy it. You won't get one every game, but probably squeezing one it at some point where you have exactly $4 is a good idea.

Excellent article.
As you have shown in the examples, Remodel/Loan is a nice opening when there are good $4 cantrip around (I've done it with caravan).
Thanks! I guess I should also mention that in general having multiple single-card trashers works well when you want to build an engine with no multi-card trashers.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 02:13:28 pm »

Remodel is also a pure Trash for Benefit card in that you will (almost) always get a card back from the card you trashed.

So you can't just make Coppers or Curses disappear and slim your deck. This means that you need good cards to trash to get even bigger benefits.

And you need good targets. If you've trashed all of your Estates and have to convert Coppers back to Estates, you probably haven't chosen the best strategy. It's a bit better when there are good $2 targets like Pawn, Lighthouse, heck even Pearl Diver is better than getting those awful Estates back.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 02:36:01 pm »
+1

Works with:
    • Cheap Smithies: Watchtower, Smithy, Envoy
    • All types of Villages
I don't think you actually meant to say this (the above quote). Remodel doesn't really work well individually with Cheap Smithies or with all types of Villages. A cheap Smithy will draw Remodels dead which sucks, and Villages let you play more actions, but if you play a Village so you can Remodel twice you are left with a 1 card hand, not the best synergies. I think what you meant was that Remodel works well with Village/Cheap Smithy engines, which I agree with. I suggest combining the two separate points in "Works with" into a single one.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 02:41:22 pm »

And you need good targets. If you've trashed all of your Estates and have to convert Coppers back to Estates, you probably haven't chosen the best strategy. It's a bit better when there are good $2 targets like Pawn, Lighthouse, heck even Pearl Diver is better than getting those awful Estates back.
I think I say nearly exactly this in the article, down to the "even Pearl Diver":
It’s also pretty important to have something worth getting at $2, like Cellar/Pawn/Hamlet/Haven or even Pearl Diver in case you find yourself with nothing to remodel but Coppers.

Works with:
    • Cheap Smithies: Watchtower, Smithy, Envoy
    • All types of Villages
I don't think you actually meant to say this (the above quote). Remodel doesn't really work well individually with Cheap Smithies or with all types of Villages. A cheap Smithy will draw Remodels dead which sucks, and Villages let you play more actions, but if you play a Village so you can Remodel twice you are left with a 1 card hand, not the best synergies. I think what you meant was that Remodel works well with Village/Cheap Smithy engines, which I agree with. I suggest combining the two separate points in "Works with" into a single one.
Good point. I guess if someone just reads the "works with" section without reading the article (which I'm sure happens a lot -- people like lists more than paragraphs), this can be misinterpreted. To clarify, I think that with villages and any type of Smithy, Remodel can potentially be a good opening, but with the cheap Smithies, you obviously also need a village. [/list]

J.Co.

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 10:45:17 pm »

I know it's not a popular card in a lot of cases, but having an Ironworks card might help. There's no fear of colliding. Play Ironworks to gain Remodel, which gives +1 action, then play Remodel. Sure, you're only left with two cards for that turn, but that's a decent way to add more Remodels to your deck. The question is when to get Ironworks instead of just getting another Remodel, but getting IW surely can't be that bad.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 12:44:17 pm »

I know it's not a popular card in a lot of cases, but having an Ironworks card might help. There's no fear of colliding. Play Ironworks to gain Remodel, which gives +1 action, then play Remodel. Sure, you're only left with two cards for that turn, but that's a decent way to add more Remodels to your deck. The question is when to get Ironworks instead of just getting another Remodel, but getting IW surely can't be that bad.

The problem is that if you're going early Remodel, you usually don't want more than one remodel in your deck (at least until very late game). The only times you might want more are maybe if you're going for some sort of mass Remodel into GM or Border Village strategy.

I think of Ironworks and Remodel as kind of fulfilling the same role: openers that allow you to get a lot of cheap cards (both because they allow you to gain them, and because they don't contribute to your buying power, forcing you to buy more cheap cards. Typically getting both, and then even more Remodels, is going to be overdoing it.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012, 11:12:32 am »

You ought to mention the standard front-running province->province tfb thing.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 08:37:53 pm »

You ought to mention the standard front-running province->province tfb thing.

It's already in there:
You can even remodel a Province into a Province to drain the pile.

Maybe it's important enough that I add it to the title of the point like "1. Late game when you want to get multiple victory cards or drain piles"?

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +768
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2012, 11:39:46 pm »

I would definitely lead with remodel's ability to alter game end timing. It is tricky to time when to buy one, but generally if I'm to the point where I want duchies and I hit 4 exactly, I'll grab a remodel. Remodel has several huge effects at game end that are much more potent than starting the game with one.
1. Province - province. This can allow you to force the other guy to buy two duchies rather than having you win buy one province. If provinces are split 4/3 you can beat his duchy, otherwise you just have to keep duchy dancing until you can get a 5/3 split.
2. Gold - province. Really late game will never see the gold again anyways - may as well get a "5 coin" province. Early late game (when you may have to shuffle two or three more times, without a working engine) you still are hard pressed to get more points out of buying the duchy and doing better than a duchy from the gold next round. Once you get into estate buying territory, you need a good reason not to remodel the gold.
3. Other actions/silver - duchy. Late game witches, militia, etc. are often best turned into duchies. You just don't get that much from late game actions and of course once you reach to buy an estate, you want to turn silvers into duchies.
4. You can gain more than 6VP. Copper -> estate in a 6 coin duchy hand can turn a "the other guy buys a province & wins" into "the other guy has to waste an 8 coin hand on a duchy so he doesn't lose" turn. In a no +buy/no other card gain/no VP chip game, you can really mess with the end game this way. This also can work with a late game estate -> garden or estate -> island (or island -> duchy, fairgrounds -> province etc.)

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 02:02:04 am »

Thanks for the comment, jomini.

I feel I did cover that all in the section on gaining multiple VP cards. I didn't feel like it was necessary to give all the examples because it seems pretty straightforward. It's not too hard to figure out how to use the Remodel once you have it. I said the main things to say: you can add Remodel late in game, and use it to get more victory cards or drain piles. The only other major thing I should say that I left out is that when Remodel is there, you might want to green earlier in anticipation of being able to do the late game shenanigans.

I'll expand the section a bit tomorrow, but I strongly disagree with your sentiment that the end game use is more potent than the early game. I think the end game is really overrated. In Dominion, as in most strategy games, the end game is probably the least important part. It feels important, because it happens right before you see who wins, but it's probably not that often that a late Remodel is the primary reason you win. It's much more important -- and difficult -- to choose the right strategy for the mid-game, and so I put a much greater focus on what type of mid-games you want/need Remodel to get you into.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2012, 01:26:39 pm »

I think it would be beneficial (at least for me) to know how to play BM + Remodel properly, because it certainly isn't trivial just to find out, and I think it would be a good baseline for how to use Remodel to enable other combos.

What I see most people (including myself) do with only remodel is the following:
Open Remodel/Silver
On $3, buy silver, on $4 or $5 buy remodel until the pile is gone, on $6 buy gold, on $8 buy province
Remodel Estates into Remodels first, then Remodels into Golds, then Golds into Provinces only in the late game

How many remodels do you want in your deck? When do you get that second one? Does it depend on which shuffle you are on, or how many estates you have trashed? Is it ever a good idea to remodel remodels into golds, or will that always just slow you down (or will it only not slow you down if your hand is RRSCC? Remodel remodel into Gold, buy remodel)? How does remodel compare with other BM-enablers?

Obviously you should open Remodel/Silver, and endgame stuff doesn't seem that bad to me, but it's this midgame stuff that confuses me (and just about everybody I play with IRL).
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2012, 01:41:58 pm »
+1

I think it would be beneficial (at least for me) to know how to play BM + Remodel properly, because it certainly isn't trivial just to find out, and I think it would be a good baseline for how to use Remodel to enable other combos.

The problem is that BM+Remodel is pretty terrible, and not at all related to using a Remodel to enable other combos. Remodel openings are for decks that rely on a lot of sub-$5 cards, but BM decks are all about Gold. In a BM deck, you do not want to get a Remodel early because it hurts your buying potential too much for no significant benefit (likely you turn one Estate into a Silver and then never get a good opportunity to Remodel anything again until the late game, making the Remodel just as dead as the Estate you used it to trash. Optimal BM+Remodel play probably only involves a late Remodel or two when you're greening, to break VP parity. You probably want them around the third-to-last time through the deck or something like that.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 01:44:15 pm by HiveMindEmulator »

jomini

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2012, 03:11:44 pm »

Thanks for the comment, jomini.

I feel I did cover that all in the section on gaining multiple VP cards. I didn't feel like it was necessary to give all the examples because it seems pretty straightforward. It's not too hard to figure out how to use the Remodel once you have it. I said the main things to say: you can add Remodel late in game, and use it to get more victory cards or drain piles. The only other major thing I should say that I left out is that when Remodel is there, you might want to green earlier in anticipation of being able to do the late game shenanigans.

I'll expand the section a bit tomorrow, but I strongly disagree with your sentiment that the end game use is more potent than the early game. I think the end game is really overrated. In Dominion, as in most strategy games, the end game is probably the least important part. It feels important, because it happens right before you see who wins, but it's probably not that often that a late Remodel is the primary reason you win. It's much more important -- and difficult -- to choose the right strategy for the mid-game, and so I put a much greater focus on what type of mid-games you want/need Remodel to get you into.

Well, I may well be wrong about this, but most of my remodels fall into three categories:
1. I buy it early to clean out estates into engine components, gain the odd 2 coin card, and build an engine.
2. I buy it after my engine begins to form to get psuedo + buy (particularly when coupled with some other card gainer like IW or BV).
3. I buy it in BM around the time I'd start duchy dancing.

I play it a lot less for #1 than for #2 or #3. There are too many other good early cards for getting your deck into engine clicking territory (e.g. chap, remake), too many engine components that need to hit 5 (e.g. margrave, minion), and too many  competing terminals (e.g. most attacks, baron) for the early game. So I do see how it can be used for setting up an engine, but at least for me that seems rather less common than end game point boosting/pile control.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2012, 08:07:50 pm »

Well, I may well be wrong about this, but most of my remodels fall into three categories:
1. I buy it early to clean out estates into engine components, gain the odd 2 coin card, and build an engine.
2. I buy it after my engine begins to form to get psuedo + buy (particularly when coupled with some other card gainer like IW or BV).
3. I buy it in BM around the time I'd start duchy dancing.

I play it a lot less for #1 than for #2 or #3. There are too many other good early cards for getting your deck into engine clicking territory (e.g. chap, remake), too many engine components that need to hit 5 (e.g. margrave, minion), and too many  competing terminals (e.g. most attacks, baron) for the early game. So I do see how it can be used for setting up an engine, but at least for me that seems rather less common than end game point boosting/pile control.
You may do #1 less often, but it's bigger impact. I do mention the late game uses first, because they are more common. But I do think their impact is greatly overrated. How often does that late Remodel buy really make the difference between a win and a loss? 2% of the time? I mean, you have (1) to hit sub-$5 at a useful time, (2) draw the Remodel with something where it would give a better benefit than a Silver, and (3) have the extra point or drained card actually be the margin of victory. Having all those things align is just as unlikely as having all the things you need to be in place to want to open Remodel.

jomini

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2012, 10:57:20 pm »

I mostly agree with you about frequency being with late game and impact in early game.

A few things though: You can grab a late game remodel in a lot of situations without having a sub 5 hand - a 9 coin hand in an engine that doesn't want gold (or at least wants a 5 more), haggler, and of course any other card gainer can all get you a timely remodel without it having to be a crappy hand. Likewise, with strong card counting and top decking options (Wt, Rysl, etc.) I may sacrifice a duchy in order to be sure of hitting a gold -> prov (maybe buy something, even an estate) and good odds of beating a parity opponent otherwise.

carstimon

• Golem
  • Respect: +115
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2012, 07:42:05 pm »

Here it ends the game in a megaturn before opponent gets his megaturn, kind of an extreme example of the accelerating the end game.  It also helps me get caravans from estates.
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201208/01/game-20120801-163756-b26d8de3.html

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2012, 11:09:06 pm »

Here's a game where remodel is nice to turn my Estates into either tournaments, wishing wells, or with price reduction, highways. http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201208/02/game-20120802-200647-f0276023.html
A man on a mission.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2012, 11:22:26 pm »

Here's a game where remodel is nice to turn my Estates into either tournaments, wishing wells, or with price reduction, highways. http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201208/02/game-20120802-200647-f0276023.html
Turn 9 you could have Remodeled Copper into Tournament rather than WW.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2012, 11:23:58 pm »

Turn 9 you could have Remodeled Copper into Tournament rather than WW.

I know, it was just too risky (IMO) for them to be stopped with the province.  But yeah, it still probably would have been better.
A man on a mission.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2012, 01:27:51 am »
+2

Here's one I just played:
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201209/02/game-20120902-221036-6518e884.html

I open Remodel/Ambassador with the idea that winning the Caravan race is more important than winning the Ambassador war. With enough Caravans and a Remodel, Estates just turn into more Caravans, and without enough Caravans in his deck, he can't set up multi-Ambassador turns reliably enough to drown me, especially with the speed of Caravan+Remodel. Here my opponent did not really go for an Ambassador deck, but that's the theory. A couple of key observations:

1. Remodel + Caravan is really strong. It's not just that Remodel turns Estates into Caravans, and that larger Caravan-sized hands give you a better chance at good Remodel targets. It's also a pretty big deal that both are good at making the game faster!

2. The Province=>Province Remodel is an interesting one. It doesn't get you any points, but it shortens the game by one turn. When is this good? There are 2 criteria. The first one is obvious. If you're way ahead and your opponent is building a stronger engine, you just want there to be fewer point cards left or the game to end sooner. But when it's close, there is something else to think about. If the game is going to be 1 turn shorter, whose turn is it? Multiple buys change the story a bit, but something to think about is the parity of the Province pile. If you're only going to be getting 1 Province per turn, you want there to be an even number left at the end of your turn. That way, when the pile hits zero, you were the one with the last one.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 20 queries.