Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Didn't know folks could get this upset over a game...  (Read 2328 times)

Diving Pikachu

• Navigator
  • ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
Didn't know folks could get this upset over a game...
« on: July 25, 2011, 09:16:38 pm »

So, I just played a game where I started 5/2 and the other played didn't... I got a market and then we faced off with familiars and lighthouses... My lighthouses were more fortunately timed than his so the gap quickly widened with a king's court and throne rooms... And then my oponent started IMing...

19:47 Him: god youre so fuckin lucky
19:47 Him: fuckin bullshit
19:50 Me: today me tomorrow you
19:51 Him: you get familiar when i dont have lighthouse, I get familiar when you have lighthouse
19:51 Him: you nail the early market
19:51 Him: i mean this is just fucking stupid
19:52 Him: i hope your entire family dies in a fire
19:52 He has returned to the lobby.

I myself am guilty of quitting immediately after someone gets 5/2 Mountebank, or when it gets to a tedious or clearly unwinnable slog (often without even typing out "sorry, G2G"), but... really? Do people really get that worked up over a game? I honestly wonder if he genuinely felt contempt for me for getting so lucky, or some people just spew shit like this all the time when they're anonymous. (I don't play any online games other than Dominion.)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 09:24:42 pm by Diving Pikachu »

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
Re: Didn't know folks could get this upset over a game...
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 11:16:06 pm »

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/3/19/

Warning: language, though no worse than the OP's chat log.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Reyk

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 03:45:42 am »

I don't know the other kingdom cards. But I don't think market is that decisive as a starting card. Potion/Lighthouse is still a viable option with both 5/2 and 4/3 although a bit risky.

Comments like "fuckin bullshit" I would always ignore and not say anything. End the game and try to remember his name to avoid future games.

I myself am guilty of quitting immediately after someone gets 5/2 Mountebank

That's indeed not nice. I wonder how much this is a Self-fullfilling Prophecy when people say GG after that (and play on half-heartedly). It's clear that Mountebank/Witch on 5/2 ist very hard to beat, but still ...

Superdad

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 09:02:41 am »

Last night I was in a game with Tournament/Tactician.

I opened Tournament/Silver/Tactician. Opponent Opened Tactician/Embargo. The game proceded roughly as follows:

He tactician'd his turn 3 and got a turn 4 Gold. He then followed it up with a turn 5 Tournament, Turn 6 Province, Turn 7 Play Tournamanet with province in hand, play Tactician. Turn 8 Province. He had 4 provinces by around turn 11-12, and the entire tournament deck.

There was literally nothing I could do to win that game.

It happens.

Getting *that* mad at RNG (random number generator) is hilarious to me.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 09:06:38 am by Superdad »

Reyk

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 09:46:25 am »

There was literally nothing I could do to win that game.

Maybe. Maybe not. There is still a lot of group think regarding tournament. Especially with Embargo in the setup there are many options. While getting prices is fun I like to compete with tournament if possible.

Your game is here:
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20110725-163445-cbebf4ea.html

One interesting option is embargoing provinces. This would have been possible with Embargo instead of Silver in your turn 3 immediately after his tournament gain. You already knew that he bought first turn tactician when you bought your silver. There is some room for brigde/gardens with double embargo on province. Instead you bought Tournament which was dead in turn 8 although he had good chances for an early province. Edit: If he counters embargoing gardens as in the game this is not so bad for garden player like embargoed provinces.
Another option is multiple Native villages/bridges maybe with one tactician for additional support to aim for one big turn.

I'm not saying this would win against tournament, I didn't even try simulations. Just want to encourage people searching for different and interesting alternatives especially when it's clear that you start a mirror match with a disadvantage.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 10:13:22 am by Reyk »

Superdad

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 09:57:27 am »

Indeed, I had originally thought that I could mirror his play and be up a silver. For example, he opens Tactician/Embargo/Tournament (or something similar - I can't open the link at work), and my plan was to go Tournament/Silver/Tactician.

He just got to provinces first. I remember half-way through the game I switched plans, because I knew I was dead in the water going for provinces, and I was hoping that he would green-up significantly enough that I could gardens him for a come-from-behind, but it was never close. I think I could have at least stood a chance if I switched gears earlier - as you mention.

Back to the point though, his opening is pretty strong, and fortunate. It is something that could get someone upset.

I guess after years of playing Poker, you just develop a tougher shell for this sort of things. I don't know how many times I've had Aces cracked by complete garbage. You just take the lumps when they come and chalk it up to RNG. I mean, even having someone completely dominated, such as AA vs AK (their only outs are basically trip-kings, straight or flush).. you are probably up something like 90-10... but you'll still get cracked 10% of the time. 10% is high enough that it'll happen very very often. I see people rage so hard about lesser-beats, like losing QQ to 99, or even losing AK to 9-5 suited when they hit a 5 and you brick. They rage over hands that lose well over 1 out of 4 times. Just because you are a 75% favorite doesn't mean you deserve to win.. you'll still lose those showdowns OFTEN. Why rage over it?

This guy in the OP raging just makes me laugh. Especially in a casusl game. I've lost 90% advantages in poker for thousands and thousands of dollars. Raging over this is just hilarious to me.

HockeyHippo

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 11:01:37 am »

I find that pretty funny actually. Both of you don't have control over the way you draw your deck. Getting that mad over RNG is just as bad as getting mad at the rain or a coin toss.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.246 seconds with 21 queries.