Author Topic: Scout  (Read 41874 times)

verikt

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +65
    • View Profile
Re: Scout
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2012, 08:45:02 pm »

Here's a game where scout turned out useful
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201207/31/game-20120731-070846-e906d0ed.html

I agree scout was useful here, but I think you bought one too early, if you notice, your first two activations were completely dead.

Also, I'm not sure why you didn't focus on emptying out the duchies before hitting the provinces: you could have won the split like 6-2 and gotten way more points from dukes. Was there danger of piling that I didn't see? Actually on second thought you were probably worried about piling from pawn-island-duchy. Nevermind.
My first activation let me pick what to draw with wishing well, and trash all seven coppers.
I'm not sure whether it was the best buy for turn 3 but look at my other choices. Ironworks, which is dead as soon as we finish islands. Wishing well, island or another silver. Why would I want another silver with tac and mint? I'd rather have nothing but golds and green, and scout to draw the green. And yeah, I didn't go for duchies because of the piles. He had 2 ironworks to my one, and my deck was half the size of his.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2012, 11:37:41 pm »

So, I'm glad to see that someone is trying to give Scout some love.  I'm not glad to see that Scout's best situation is ignored.  There is a card, not mentioned once in this article, which Scout is actually very decent support for, and which I am most likely to pick one up with.  And any article that tries to explain why Scout is not the worst card around (it's not!  It is merely fourth-worst) needs to talk about this synergy.

That card is Scrying Pool.

So, my favorite partners to Scout are not Great Hall, or Crossroads, or anything like that.  They are, IMO, Vineyard (which has already been mentioned above) and Scrying Pool.  Here's why:

* both of those cards need non-terminal actions, Scrying Pool to increase draw power and Vineyard to pump up VP without increasing terminal clashes.  Scout could do absolutely nothing for you and still be of value with these two cards around.
* The reordering and clearing is particularly useful with Pools: take green into your hand, set up a Treasure to discard, pick up Actions.
* Sweeping green into your hand helps with Vineyard, too, especially if you're relying on cantrips etc. and would be liable to choke on Vineyards as you green.

Here are a couple examples of Scout providing actual value to Pool (and other) decks:

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20110614-105235-db2b72f7.html : it doesn't really ever sweep up green, but it does encheapen Peddler and improve Pool efficiency.  Interestingly, the Tactician buy was a complete waste as I always preferred to just play Witch or Salvager, and I Salvage it after a while.

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20110904-225805-1a8943b9.html : Obviously Nobles, and Copper-specific trashing, both boost Scout here as well.  RisingJaguar and I would probably both do the same thing without Scout around, but it was pretty clearly a good buy when you happened to only have $4 or $5 here.  (Didn't RisingJaguar admit he used to buy Scout 60 percent of the time?  I'd love to hear him chime in here.)

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120612-133532-e5582d6b.html : Okay, actually I lost this one.  But the Scout pretty much always improved my next hand by sweeping a bit of green into the current one.  It's a fun contrast of styles, as Feast/Duke edges out Vineyard/Transmute.

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120514-140331-5890997b.html : An odd case where Scout is used as support for Tactician/Vault.  Heumidin's Turn 17 is the best example of it in action.

Hunted for this thread to give an obligatory I-won-a-game-off-of-this-post-after-reading-it upvote

verikt

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +65
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2012, 01:21:52 pm »

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2012, 01:35:07 pm »

The first really useful scout game I remember playing
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201208/09/game-20120809-102033-d3d11c6b.html

It looks like a good board for Scout, having Ironworks - Tunnel - Cellar.  Good spot!
A man on a mission.

clb

• Tactician
  • Respect: +182
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2012, 12:38:07 pm »
+7

Either "Conquer Bot" is really Robz or it has been reading the forum and doesn't quite understand. In a recent game with Sea Hag and Embargo, he chose to embargo the Scout.

^_^_^_^

• Minion
  • Crazy, You Have Been Warned
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2012, 12:15:02 am »

Robz up voted it, it is probably either Robz or he has an Apprentice!
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Doug Z
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Donald X
The cost to buy me is 5Copper. What's Your Cost?

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2012, 08:15:18 am »
+1

The bots seem to embargo the pile they're least likely to buy so you might see embargoed scouts again.

I did play one game where I embargoed silver. One bot kept buying silvers and took the curses whilst the other one bought a lot of scouts. It would actually have been ok if it had bought any great halls from the supply to go with it!

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2015, 07:12:23 pm »

Powerman, you really made Scout look good. I applaud your knowledge on this noble card. However, this article is about three years old. I think the forum has learned a lot about Scout since then, and I think a Scout 2 should be made.

Disclaimer: I am not volunteering, I am far too illiterate to write an article about any card.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2015, 12:41:56 pm »
+3

I just bought Scout in an IRL game with a Bazaar/Wharf/Conspirator no trashing engine.  It helped activate a couple of early conspirators and lined up a Bazaar to draw the Wharf.  I think I just might be able to say that my deck was better with Scout than it was without.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2015, 03:35:54 pm »

I just bought Scout in an IRL game with a Bazaar/Wharf/Conspirator no trashing engine.  It helped activate a couple of early conspirators and lined up a Bazaar to draw the Wharf.  I think I just might be able to say that my deck was better with Scout than it was without.
This is huge. Whoever writes the article needs to quote you on this.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

nate_w

• Navigator
  • Respect: +115
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2015, 04:16:07 pm »
+5

"Scout: sometimes doesn't make your deck worse!"

Similarly you want to buy coppers sometimes (way more often).  Should there be an article on buying copper?

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2015, 05:01:23 pm »
+1

"Scout: sometimes doesn't make your deck worse!"

Similarly you want to buy coppers sometimes (way more often).  Should there be an article on buying copper?

Situation 1:  Oh <inset expletive of choice here>... I trashed too much with my Chapel.  Better buy a Copper.

Situation 2:  I'm a <insert insult of choice here>.  Why did I buy that Mint.  Better buy a Copper.

Joking aside, there are numerous instances when it's a good thing.  Too many to write in a short paragraph.  An article would probably fit a nice niche.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 05:10:04 pm by shark_bait »
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2015, 05:19:26 pm »

Probably. Working out when you actually want to buy Copper is a really interesting strategic and tactical decision that must be very easy to mess up. The two biggest cases - Gardens and Goons - are already covered somewhat in other articles, but I think there's still more to discuss. And if you wanted to be cheeky, you could call it something like "Behind Silver".

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2015, 06:04:50 pm »
+6

All things considered, copper is a significantly stronger card than scout.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 20 queries.