Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Amazon?  (Read 3470 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Amazon?
« on: July 24, 2012, 10:37:15 am »

If memory serves correctly, Hinterlands had an Amazon listing a couple months in advance of Essen, though it wasn't actually available for purchase until December.  The Base Cards also had an Amazon listing beforehand.  Where's the Dark Ages listing?  I want to get it as soon as possible!  And I realize I've probably asked this before, but not sure if I got an answer: I realize that Dark Ages is officially released at GenCon, but when will it actually go on sale?  Hinterlands was "released" at Essen last year, but it didn't come to stores until December, as previously mentioned.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
Re: Amazon?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 10:59:40 am »

I recall either Donald or Jay saying that the distribution for card/board games isn't the tireless, streamlined global arm that books, movies, and music have.  It takes time to ship all those boxes out, and they get backed up in warehouses along the way, and so on.  So while there may be an official release date, that's just when copies start trickling out of wherever they're manufactured.  The date when they actually become available for purchase on the shelf of a particular store is just whenever that store happens to receive their shipment and puts them out.  There's no real way to nail it down any better than that.

Someone actually in the know can correct me if I'm wrong.  This is just what I think I remember someone else saying.

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 11:08:58 am »

I recall Donald saying that Dark Ages won't take as long to get to shelves as Hinterlands did and should be available much closer to gencon at the worst. Heres the quote

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=1446.msg33250#msg33250

but essentially he supsects it will be out that day

"I expect that copies of Dark Ages at GenCon will have been shipped normally, not air-shipped, and if that's so then it will be full-on out then. If that doesn't work out and they are air-shipped then yes there will be whatever shipping delay before stores have it"
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Nakamura

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Nakamura
  • Respect: +37
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 12:50:57 pm »
+3

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 01:08:40 pm »

Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 01:14:06 pm »

I recall either Donald or Jay saying that the distribution for card/board games isn't the tireless, streamlined global arm that books, movies, and music have.  It takes time to ship all those boxes out, and they get backed up in warehouses along the way, and so on.  So while there may be an official release date, that's just when copies start trickling out of wherever they're manufactured.  The date when they actually become available for purchase on the shelf of a particular store is just whenever that store happens to receive their shipment and puts them out.

I've heard this before as well, but it's definitely not 100% true. The official store release date may be determined very late, but it does exist. Stores hold their copies until the date arrives.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 02:30:09 pm »
+1

As long as the internet tubes don't get backed up so I can still play it on iso, I'll be happy.

meow

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 02:09:02 am »
+1

I recall either Donald or Jay saying that the distribution for card/board games isn't the tireless, streamlined global arm that books, movies, and music have.  It takes time to ship all those boxes out, and they get backed up in warehouses along the way, and so on.  So while there may be an official release date, that's just when copies start trickling out of wherever they're manufactured.  The date when they actually become available for purchase on the shelf of a particular store is just whenever that store happens to receive their shipment and puts them out.

I've heard this before as well, but it's definitely not 100% true. The official store release date may be determined very late, but it does exist. Stores hold their copies until the date arrives.

I think the point was that, in many cases, game stores don't get their copies until AFTER the official release date.  With things like books, dvds, and video games this happens far less often.
meow @ f.ds & BSW
SpaceSquirrel @ IsoTropic
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 20 queries.