Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Mountebank  (Read 27309 times)

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +768
    • View Profile
Re: Mountebank
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2012, 08:19:36 pm »
+1

Another thing that might be worth mentioning - discard -> mountebank is really vicious. Forcing your opponent to discard before playing the mountebank is a good way to get them to get rid of a curse (so they can keep playable cards) and then hit them with another curse. Because you really need a village to make that work, this is more an engine strat (though golem decks may like it as well) so things like ghost ship and margrave can set you up for a lot of nasty choices on the other side.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2012, 10:29:51 am »
+1

It's easy to not notice it, or not think of it this way, but Mountebank shares with Torturer the property of not being just a cursing attack but actually a "choose one: discard or take a curse" attack. Mountebank's cursing is a lot stronger than Torturer's, of course, and its discarding is a lot weaker, but there are certainly plenty of cases where the discard still feels like an attack.

Asklepios

• Duke
  • Respect: +117
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2012, 06:01:25 am »

It's easy to not notice it, or not think of it this way, but Mountebank shares with Torturer the property of not being just a cursing attack but actually a "choose one: discard or take a curse" attack. Mountebank's cursing is a lot stronger than Torturer's, of course, and its discarding is a lot weaker, but there are certainly plenty of cases where the discard still feels like an attack.

I'd certainly agree with that. Sometimes you just need cards in hand, even if they're curses (warehouse, embassy, vault etc.)

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2012, 07:27:16 am »

Fun fact: my purpose in writing this article was to have one on a curser. Not normally done. In fact, if you look at my article list, never done until now. May as well have one.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2012, 08:00:18 am »

Fun fact: my purpose in writing this article was to have one on a curser. Not normally done. In fact, if you look at my article list, never done until now. May as well have one.

*Cough* Young Witch *Cough*
*Cough* Torturer *Cough*
*Cough* Ill-Gotten Gains *Cough*
*Cough* Sea Hag *Cough*
*Cough* Swindler *Cough*
 ::)
A man on a mission.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2012, 07:41:36 pm »

*Cough* Young Witch *Cough*
*Cough* Torturer *Cough*
*Cough* Ill-Gotten Gains *Cough*
*Cough* Sea Hag *Cough*
*Cough* Swindler *Cough*
 ::)
Oh, wow, you're right. Ehhh, no we should write one on Witch.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.