Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Mountebank  (Read 27318 times)

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Re: Mountebank
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2012, 11:14:54 pm »
+2

I'm just annoyed nobody +1'd my awesome joke grrr

hmmm... as a compromise, I will +1 this post, expressing dismay about it, because when do you see genuine human emotion these days?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2012, 12:29:55 pm »

I you can play a Tactician earlier in the game, and play at least two or three Mountebanks, you are likely to get some junk in his deck, which will not only start to waste the curses, but make his Tacticians (or Villages) less likley to synergize with your Mountebanks.

A couple typos... "If", not "I"; and "his Mountebanks", not "your Mountebanks."
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2012, 07:15:08 pm »

I you can play a Tactician earlier in the game, and play at least two or three Mountebanks, you are likely to get some junk in his deck, which will not only start to waste the curses, but make his Tacticians (or Villages) less likley to synergize with your Mountebanks.

Oops, sorry about that, posting from a kindle.
Will fix...
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

J.Co.

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2012, 02:04:02 am »

I've recently won a Mountebank game (IRL) by ignoring it, instead going with Ambassador. Masquerade might work, too. It takes a little luck, sure. But since your opponent is going Mountebank, he likely won't get Ambassador until it's too late (which is why I won).

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet or not, but Watchtower often makes me and least think about not getting Mountebank.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2012, 02:22:52 am »

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet or not, but Watchtower often makes me and least think about not getting Mountebank.

Why not?  They won't have Watchtower in every hand.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2012, 02:36:47 am »

I've recently won a Mountebank game (IRL) by ignoring it, instead going with Ambassador. Masquerade might work, too. It takes a little luck, sure. But since your opponent is going Mountebank, he likely won't get Ambassador until it's too late (which is why I won).
Most Cursers can be ignored with Ambassador on the board.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2012, 04:19:19 am »

Mountebank is one of the hardest to ignore as it junks your deck up as fast as you can clear it, and faster if you aren't so far gone that you're drawing 2 Curses at a time.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2012, 04:31:51 am »

There's also an Alot hiding in the text...

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2012, 04:35:19 am »
+2

Alot of Mountebanks.

Now that's a scary creature.

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
  • Respect: +236
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2012, 04:42:50 am »
+4

Alot of Mountebanks.

Now that's a scary creature.

Dawww... he's wearin a lil cloak and wide-brim hat...
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

methods of rationality

• Bishop
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2012, 11:57:06 am »
+2

Another thing about mountebank: Since your opponent is giving you tons of copper and curses, your deck will be much thicker. A thicker deck can support more terminals. I would say: up to around 5 or 6 even with no villages? or maybe that's a bit too much, at least 4 though. I don't know, what does everyone else think?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 11:58:35 am by methods of rationality »

mnavratil

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +83
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2012, 03:19:09 pm »

Good Article! I'm surprised it took this long for someone to write it, honestly.

Some of minor points:
You mentioned Cache in the Copper strategy section. I gues I don't see the relevance here. If you are already flooded with coppers, I don't think you'll be wanting that Cache and 2 more coppers. Maybe I am missing something.
Also, Maybe mention Philosopher's Stone as a counter.  With enough coppers/curses flying around those things can get to be pretty valuable. Similar to Counting House, this is one of the rare instances where this card can shine.
In the game below, each pstone gets up to $7:
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120725-091613-426d22a6.html

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2012, 04:21:15 pm »

You mentioned Cache in the Copper strategy section. I gues I don't see the relevance here. If you are already flooded with coppers, I don't think you'll be wanting that Cache and 2 more coppers. Maybe I am missing something.
I think the idea is that the downside of Cache is that typically adding the Coppers will degrade your deck value by adding bad cards. But in a Mountebank game, Copper won't be that far below your average card since you have a lot of Coppers and Curses. And 2 extra cards isn't as significant an increase in deck size. So it may be worth taking that less significant hit to get the cheap Gold.

What I don't get is the following sentence:
In these types of games, if the curses are gone, when given the choice on whether to discard a Curse or not, do not discard the curse. The copper is helpful.
"Not that harmful" is not the same as "helpful".

methods of rationality

• Bishop
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2012, 04:38:26 pm »

Well cache could be relavant if you buy a counting house, which you would never do if not for moutebank. See
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120617-090146-04fbe3e1.html          and
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120714-202825-86a8da8a.html

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2012, 08:35:39 pm »

So much feedback! Will edit.

Mad, I tell you.

J.Co.

« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2012, 09:50:26 pm »

Nor would I have a Mountebank in every hand. And I mean more that I would try to incorporate a couple of Watchtowers in my strategy. If I don't defend, the chance of later being able to discard a curse with Watchtower in hand gives me +3 draw, which can sorta help mitigate some of the damage done. Yes, I know luck is required for that, but big draws and being able to put buys on top of decks in the same turn is fun (Colliding Mountebanks is bad, but colliding Watchtowers is pretty sweet).

I probably would stick with Mountebank, of course, but if the board is right, or if my opponent doesn't go beserk on Mountebanks either, I probably wouldn't hesitate to take my chances.

Asklepios

• Duke
  • Respect: +117
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2012, 09:28:25 am »

I'd add that Mountebank greatly increases the likelihood of a three pile ending. It slows down the game in terms of reachign provinces or colonies, but empties the curse pile rapidly by virtue of the fact that when its present, both (or all for multiplayer) players will almost invariably take it and use it lots.

One rule I always have for myself is that when Mountebanks are present, its a good idea to get 1 or 2 provinces as soon as you can, then after that, grab duchies like crazy. This is opposed to non-Mountebank games, where usually the time to get duchies is when 3-4+ provinces have gone.

Winning the duchy split very often wins mountebank games, in my experience.

WheresMyElephant

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +63
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2012, 06:14:14 pm »

Besides, the more Curses you block now, the less likely that you will be able to discard one later and avoid future Curses. In some games without +Action Mountebank reaches almost an equilibrium point where it very rarely works, and Watchtower won't really affect the equilibrium point so much as delay it, like Moat does for most Cursers.

Sometimes Mountebank doesn't run the Curses out at all. With most Cursers Watchtower depletes their ammunition, which is sometimes an advantage, but with Mountebank this might not even matter. And of course it's not going to deplete the Copper. (On the other hand if YOU'RE using Mountebanks too, you would probably prefer not to deplete the ammo and it's much more likely to matter.)

Obviously Watchtower is a pretty decent Reaction but Mountebank probably minds it less than any other Curser, at a guess.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 06:19:47 pm by WheresMyElephant »

J.Co.

« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2012, 10:27:55 pm »

Besides, the more Curses you block now, the less likely that you will be able to discard one later and avoid future Curses. In some games without +Action Mountebank reaches almost an equilibrium point where it very rarely works, and Watchtower won't really affect the equilibrium point so much as delay it, like Moat does for most Cursers.

Sometimes Mountebank doesn't run the Curses out at all. With most Cursers Watchtower depletes their ammunition, which is sometimes an advantage, but with Mountebank this might not even matter. And of course it's not going to deplete the Copper. (On the other hand if YOU'RE using Mountebanks too, you would probably prefer not to deplete the ammo and it's much more likely to matter.)

Obviously Watchtower is a pretty decent Reaction but Mountebank probably minds it less than any other Curser, at a guess.

First of all, I'm a little confused as to which side you're arguing. First, you say that Watchtower only delays the equilibrium process, but then you mention how it depletes the ammunition, which actually decreases the saturation all together. Then you say that, with Mountebank, it doesn't even matter. If anything, it matters more.

I think part of what you're saying is that it's good to use curses as defenses, but I'd still take my chances with Watchtower. I'm okay with blocking early curses and not having them to discard later, even if it minimizes the draw power of Watchtower within the confines of an engine. I think Mountebank probably minds Watchtower MORE than other curse-giving cards because Watchtower can TRASH the curse and the copper. Other defenses (such as Moat or Lighthouse) prevent the curse from being dealt, which only delays the inevitable. Watchtower decreases the amount of opportunities for Mountebank to hand out curses.

If there isn't a +2 action, I'm okay with playing big money with little concern. If my Watchtowers collide, I can put newly acquired treasures on top. If they don't, I cycle well with decent draws.

Again, I'm not saying Watchtower is enough to negate Mountebank, but given the proper board, there are certainly situations when I wouldn't consider Mountebank as big a threat as usual.

WheresMyElephant

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +63
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2012, 11:53:33 pm »

[quote author=WheresMyElephant link
First of all, I'm a little confused as to which side you're arguing. First, you say that Watchtower only delays the equilibrium process, but then you mention how it depletes the ammunition, which actually decreases the saturation all together. Then you say that, with Mountebank, it doesn't even matter. If anything, it matters more.

I'm saying,

1. if your opponent takes a Mountebank and you don't, without  +Actions a Watchtower is about the same as a Moat. Why? Without +Actions to play multiples, Mountebank's potency is going to drop off sharply once you once you have, say, 6-7 Curses in your deck. At that point it doesn't matter much whether the rest of the Curses are in the Trash or the Supply. "Depleting the ammo" seems irrelevant when the gun's jammed! (If you actually manage to block as many as 4 or 5 Curses you could maybe deplete the Curses while Mountebank was still dangerous, but that's unlikely). Never mind that even if the Curses did run out he could still give you Copper. Watchtower can delay the inevitable, the way Moat usually does, but we know that's not that strong.

2. If you DO retaliate with Mountebank, the Curses become more likely to run out. But like any Curser, if you retaliate you'd probably rather have Moat than Watchtower. If you have defenses and he doesn't, why do you want the ammo to run out? You're winning the fight!

But on reflection, I was wrong to say the so-called "equilibrium point" won't be much affected. Actually since Curses basically act as Moats themselves, a Moat (or a Watchtower) is basically just like having one extra Curse. Thus his Mountebank should crap out approximately one Curse sooner. So that's surprisingly decent I guess; you could probably make the case you'd rather buy a Watchtower or a Moat now than get a Curse+Copper later. The original point of this comparison was that Moat sucks and thus Watchtower must too; but maybe they're both a little better than I thought. Especially Moat on a $2 turn (the Silver test is probably a tougher question).

And no, I wasn't really suggesting you should intentionally take Curses as a defense. Just that realistically you're going to get them sooner or later anyway.

Edit:
With Moat, the number of curses (thus, the number of chances Mountebank can give you a curse) stays the same. Watchtower decrease that number with the trashing ability. That's kind of a big deal.
I don't really want to clog up this thread by arguing excessively in more posts, but you seem to be overlooking the central issue of my point 1. That is: it does not matter if Watchtower trashes a few Curses, because a single player playing a single Mountebank per turn generally wouldn't use up all the Curses anyhow. We could easily play a game where I Watchtower 2 Curses, you give me 7, but then my Curse discards consistently nullify your Mountebanks and the tenth Curse remains in the supply until the end. The Mountebanks became almost toothless without even needing to deplete the Curse pile, so what is so great about the trashing ability?

With most other Cursers, of course you'd be right. Witch can easily hand out ten Curses, even against Moats, and so it is critically important to reduce the Curse supply (usually with my own Witch of course).

Of course you're right that Watchtower's positive benefits are almost uniformly superior to Moat's (although again, it has the additional burden of passing the Silver test). I'm just comparing their defensive powers, which seem to be the main point here.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 01:15:32 am by WheresMyElephant »

J.Co.

« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2012, 12:29:17 am »

[quote author=WheresMyElephant link

I'm saying,

1. if your opponent takes a Mountebank and you don't, without  +Actions a Watchtower is about the same as a Moat. Why? Without +Actions to play multiples, Mountebank's potency is going to drop off sharply once you once you have, say, 6-7 Curses in your deck. At that point it doesn't matter much whether the rest of the Curses are in the Trash or the Supply. "Depleting the ammo" seems irrelevant when the gun's jammed! (If you actually manage to block as many as 4 or 5 Curses you could maybe deplete the Curses while Mountebank was still dangerous, but that's unlikely). Never mind that even if the Curses did run out he could still give you Copper. Watchtower can delay the inevitable, the way Moat usually does, but we know that's not that strong.

2. If you DO retaliate with Mountebank, the Curses become more likely to run out. But like any Curser, if you retaliate you'd probably rather have Moat than Watchtower. If you have defenses and he doesn't, why do you want the ammo to run out? You're winning the fight!

But on reflection, I was wrong to say the so-called "equilibrium point" won't be much affected. Actually since Curses basically act as Moats themselves, a Moat (or a Watchtower) is basically just like having one extra Curse. Thus his Mountebank should crap out approximately one Curse sooner. So that's surprisingly decent I guess; you could probably make the case you'd rather buy a Watchtower or a Moat now than get a Curse+Copper later. The original point of this comparison was that Moat sucks and thus Watchtower must too; but maybe they're both a little better than I thought. Especially Moat on a $2 turn (the Silver test is probably a tougher question).

And no, I wasn't really suggesting you should intentionally take Curses as a defense. Just that realistically you're going to get them sooner or later anyway.

1. Well, Watchtower's ability to place cards on top of the deck makes it much different than Moat. Without +actions, both on average will draw two cards. With Moat, the number of curses (thus, the number of chances Mountebank can give you a curse) stays the same. Watchtower decrease that number with the trashing ability. That's kind of a big deal. Again, I know Watchtower wouldn't be all that strong, especially if there aren't +actions to get an engine going, but if the board was conducive to that, that's different.

2. This is a different case than what was previously mentioned. If I do, in fact, go with Mountebank, and he doesn't pick up defenses, then yes, Moat might be better for the fact that the curses don't end up in the trash. But if he goes for Watchtowers, I at least would rethink building around a Mountebank strategy (which is what I originally said, though in all likelihood I would end up going Mountebank anyway).

Vaivraza

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2012, 12:07:54 am »

I countered a Mountebank strategy by buying gardens. At the end of the game, my deck was 63 cards with 4 gardens, 7 curses, some duchies and states. Simply I used DO NOT discard the curses. My oponent deck's was only 32 cards.

So, Mountebank doesnt work with Gardens.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2012, 02:34:55 am »

I countered a Mountebank strategy by buying gardens. At the end of the game, my deck was 63 cards with 4 gardens, 7 curses, some duchies and states. Simply I used DO NOT discard the curses. My oponent deck's was only 32 cards.

So, Mountebank doesnt work with Gardens.
DID YOU WIN?

Mad, I tell you.

Markov Chain

• Bishop
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2012, 07:55:00 pm »

You should still have discarded the curses until they ran out.  Every curse you took cost you 1 VP, and gained you 0.2 VPs per Gardens, as well as making Gardens harder to get. Once the curses were out, gaining a copper is 0.1 VPs per garden and probably improves your deck, so you might as well take the benefit from the opponent's Mountebank.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2012, 07:56:40 pm »

You should still have discarded the curses until they ran out.  Every curse you took cost you 1 VP, and gained you 0.2 VPs per Gardens, as well as making Gardens harder to get. Once the curses were out, gaining a copper is 0.1 VPs per garden and probably improves your deck, so you might as well take the benefit from the opponent's Mountebank.

If you have (or expect to have) 6 Gardens, you gain 1.2 VP and lose 1 from the Curse.

Gardens might be marginally harder to get from the Curse, but it's not that bad.  Gardens only costs $4...
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.74 seconds with 21 queries.