Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Mini-Set Design Contest, Challenge #7: Village!  (Read 36038 times)

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
Mini-Set Design Contest, Challenge #7: Village!
« on: July 23, 2012, 11:02:50 am »
+2

You knew this one was coming sooner or later:  the Village challenge!  I'll post Challenge #8 in a separate thread momentarily.  Meanwhile, your votes for Challenges #5 and #6 are due Thursday, 7/26/2012.

--

Submission Rules

* Submit no more than one card per person per challenge.  You do not need to submit for all challenges if you don't want to, but of course you can't win if you don't compete.
* Submit your cards to me via this forum's messaging system.  Submissions made after each week's deadline cannot be accepted.
* Each card you submit must have a name, a cost, a list of types, and the exact wording that should appear on the card.  Also include a brief description of any special design considerations (e.g., Stash having a unique back), but do NOT include any other information, such as strategic commentary or examples about it would play.
* Although you must submit names for each of your cards, the names will not be listed on the voting ballots, so make sure your card's appeal does not depend on your choice of name.
* I will accept revisions to your contest entries provided they are submitted to me before the deadline.  If you submit a revision to an entry you have previously submitted to me, resubmit your revised card(s) in their entirety.  That is, don't tell me "Oh, can you make that +2 Cards say +3 Cards instead?"  Just resubmit the full card.
* Only submit cards that are your own design.
* You may submit cards that have been previously posted here in this forum, including those that have been refined by the community as a whole, provided you can still claim that the central conceit of the card -- and the majority of its final version -- is yours.  This applies to cards previously posted, however -- if your submissions aren't already posted on his board, please refrain from doing so until after the results have been announced.
* A single card might conceivably qualify for multiple challenges within this series.  However, you may not submit the same card for more than one challenge.
* Do not disclose your submissions publicly, either in this thread or elsewhere

--

The deadline for this week's challenges is Monday, July 30, at 10am EDT.

--

Challenge #7 - Village

Objective: Design a Village card.  This is a card that must provide the player with at least +2 Actions each time it is played.  A Duration card may instead or in addition provide at least +1 Action on a future turn (e.g., Tactician).  Receipt of the extra Actions may be optional so long as it is within the player's control to receive it or not (e.g., Nobles, Hamlet), barring only marginal edge cases (i.e., deck with only a Hamlet in it; Tactician as the last card in hand).

Official Examples: All cards with "Village" in the name, Festival, Shanty Town, Nobles, Bazaar, University, City, Hamlet, Inn, Trusty Steed, Tactician.

Official Non-Examples: Crossroads (because only the first play per turn gives extra Actions); Tribute (because the player can't control whether he gets extra Actions from it); Golem (because although it allows you to play two Action cards, it doesn't give you Actions).

--

The Ballot
The Results
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 03:55:47 pm by rinkworks »

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
Re: Mini-Set Design Contest, Challenge #7: Village!
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 02:06:24 pm »

Would this qualify?
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=2891.msg49565#msg49565

Unfortunately not, as I've written the rules.  I modified the original post to explain why Golem doesn't count.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 01:31:54 am »

Does a duration card that gives a single extra action on the next turn qualify?
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 01:47:05 am »

Remember:  About half a dozen people have posted some sort of "Hidden Village" variant over the past year.  I'd recommend skipping that; I don't know if anyone can lay claim to the central conceit.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 03:22:44 am »

Remember:  About half a dozen people have posted some sort of "Hidden Village" variant over the past year.  I'd recommend skipping that; I don't know if anyone can lay claim to the central conceit.

Link ?  8)

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 08:39:00 am »

As written, no, but I think that's worth changing the rules to allow, since that's as pure a Village idea as any.

Edit: Done.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 08:40:30 am by rinkworks »

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 09:58:12 am »

As written, no, but I think that's worth changing the rules to allow, since that's as pure a Village idea as any.

Shouldn't that say, like, "at least two actions between this turn and next" or something? As is, a reverse-Caravan would seem to work...

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 10:06:10 am »

Shouldn't that say, like, "at least two actions between this turn and next" or something? As is, a reverse-Caravan would seem to work...

Not sure what exact permutation you mean by "reverse Caravan," but I think a single extra action next turn is fine for the minimum requirement.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 02:53:12 pm »

Yeah, as soon as I first saw the challenge, first thought was about how many of these variants I would see. I'm a bit torn though, since it is a cool idea, but at the same time, I probably won't vote for one just because it doesn't feel novel anymore.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 06:18:52 pm »

I knew the Village variant was coming, now just time to decide which of my Villages to submit!

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 06:40:52 pm »

Yeah, as soon as I first saw the challenge, first thought was about how many of these variants I would see. I'm a bit torn though, since it is a cool idea, but at the same time, I probably won't vote for one just because it doesn't feel novel anymore.

Come to think of it, Hidden Village probably isn't even eligible.  That's the one where you get +1 Action when you're out of Actions, right?  It serves the function of a Village, just with a different play order, but it technically doesn't give you the minimum required +Actions to qualify.  Huh.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 08:17:25 pm »

Come to think of it, Hidden Village probably isn't even eligible.  That's the one where you get +1 Action when you're out of Actions, right?  It serves the function of a Village, just with a different play order, but it technically doesn't give you the minimum required +Actions to qualify.  Huh.

An excellent point!
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 09:08:20 pm »

Edited the original post to include Tactician as an eligible card.  It fails if it's the last card in your hand, but I'm going to rule that a sufficiently marginal edge case.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2012, 10:45:25 pm »

On the other hand, the ability to "play" Hidden Village when out of actions is often worded as a reaction, which doesn't count as playing.

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2012, 01:53:21 am »

Not sure what exact permutation you mean by "reverse Caravan," but I think a single extra action next turn is fine for the minimum requirement.

I mean - this turn: +1 Card; next turn: +1 Card, +1 Action. I.e. no action this turn.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2012, 03:57:53 am »

I mean - this turn: +1 Card; next turn: +1 Card, +1 Action. I.e. no action this turn.

Yes, that would qualify.  This becomes a next-turn village.  Even though it only says "+1 Action", remember that the duration does not consume an action to play on the next turn.

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2012, 11:54:49 am »
+1

Here is the ballot for Challenge #7!  Votes are due in a week.  The ballot for #8 will be coming this afternoon or evening.  New challenges coming this Thursday.

--

Voting Rules:

Each person may cast votes as follows:  For each Challenge, you may fill your ballot out in one of two ways:

(1) Award 3 points to one entry.  Award 1 point to any number of other entries.
(2) Award 2 points to each of two entries.  Award 1 point to any number of other entries.

Submit your votes via PM to me by Monday, August 6, 2012, 10am EDT in the following format:

Challenge 1

3 CardName
1 AnotherCardName
1 StillAnotherCardName
1 AnotherCardNameGoesHereToo

Challenge 2

2 CardName
2 AnotherCardName
1 StillAnotherCardName

Please use the above format!  One card per line, with the number of votes given before it, and no extra punctuation or anything.  This will make it easy for me to copy-and-paste your votes into the format my vote-counting script needs it to be in.

Do not submit votes for your own cards.  (If you do, my script will catch you anyway.)

By submitting vote(s) for a challenge, you will automatically earn 1 point for your entry in that challenge.  This is to incentivize contestants to submit votes.  (My script does this automatically, so don't worry that I'll forget to do this.)

Note that the supplied card names are for discussion/identification only -- they are not the card names that were submitted to me.  The proper card names will be revealed when the results are announced.  Whenever card text says "[This Card]" it means the submitted text says the card's own name there.

Inclusion on the ballot means that the card was deemed eligible for the contest.  You therefore do not need to consider eligibility when voting.  In some cases, this may mean a pretty loose interpretation of the eligibility requirements.  I tried to be fair but also forgiving when a submission came in that twisted the rules in a way I hadn't foreseen.

As a voter, you may use whatever criteria you wish in determining what your votes will be.  Be as forgiving or particular as you like concerning conformance to standard Dominion terminology.   For all winning cards, there will be a chance to tweak the wording as a community, if necessary, before they are canonized.

--

Cinnamon
$4 - Action-Reaction
+1 Card
+2 Actions
--
When a player gains a Victory card, you may set this aside. If you do, gain a Silver in hand. Return this to your hand at the start of your next turn.

Basil
$4 - Action
+2 Actions
+$1 for each differently named card you have in play (including this).
--
When you buy this, you may gain a [This Card].

Anise
$3 - Action
+2 Actions
+$1
+$1 for every three actions in play, including this.

Parsley
$3 - Action
+2 Actions
If you have played [This Card] at least...
2 times: +1 Card
3 times: +$1
4 times: +1 Buy
5 times: +1 VP

Cardamom
$5 - Action
+1 Card
+2 Actions
You may discard a Victory card from your hand.  If you do, +$ equal to one third its cost in coins, rounded up.

Fennel
$2 - Action
+2 Actions
Place any number of cards on the bottom of your deck.
For each card you do, +1 Card.
Place any number of cards on top of your deck.
For each card you do, +$1.

Dill
$5 - Action
+1 Card
+2 Actions
--
While this is in play, when you gain a card worth $3 or more, +1 VP.

Cilantro
$4 - Action-Reaction
+1 Card
+2 Actions
--
When another player plays an Attack card, or during your Buy phrase, you may reveal this together with any number of Action cards from your hand. Put all revealed cards on top of your deck in any order.

Ginger
$1 - Action
+1 Card
+2 Actions
If you have 2 or more unused actions left at the end of your turn, during the clean-up phase, draw 7 cards instead of 5.
--
This card cannot be bought if you have any treasures in play.

Paprika
$5 - Action
+2 Actions
Put a card in play other than a [This Card] into your hand.

Nutmeg
$3 - Action
+3 Actions
--
At the beginning of your Buy phase, if you did not play any actions after this card, gain an Action card costing up to $4.

Turmeric
$4 - Action
+1 Card
You may trash or discard 1 card from your hand. If you do, pick one: +2 Actions, +2 Cards, +$2.

Rosemary
$7 - Action-Duration
At the start of each of your turns, choose two: +1 Action; +1 Buy; put a [This Card] token on this card; +$1 per token on this card, then trash this card. (The choices must be different.)

Thyme
$4 - Action-Reaction
Choose one: +2 Cards or +3 Actions.
--
When you discard this from play, you may put it on top of your deck.
--
When you discard this other than during a Clean-Up phase, you may reveal it. If you do, set this aside, then at the start of your next turn, return it to your hand.

Mace
$2 - Action
Choose one: +2 Cards; or +2 Actions; or +$2; or +2 Buys.

Clove
$2 - Action
+2 Actions
You may gain a Copper in hand.

Oregano
$4 - Action
+2 Actions
Draw until you have 5 cards in your hand.

Saffron
$2 - Action
+1 Card
You may discard a card; if you do, +1 Action.  You may trash a card; if you do, +2 Actions.

Coriander
$3 - Action-Duration
Now and during your next turn: +1 Action, and you may play Victory cards as though they are Treasure cards.  Victory cards played in this manner provide $1, plus $(1/3 of the printed VP on the Victory card, rounded down).
--
(Rules clarifications: The "printed VP" refers to the victory points provided by the card, e.g. Estate = 1 VP, Duchy = 3 VP, etc.  Victory cards with no printed VP total on them, e.g. Gardens, Silk Road, and Fairgrounds, provide just the flat $1.  Victory cards played in this way are not Treasure cards and do not count for cards which look at Treasure cards, like Bank, Venture, and Loan.)

Garlic
$3 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
You may trash this card immediately. If you do, +1 Action.
--
When you buy this card, gain two copies of it.
--
Special rule: The supply pile for [This Card] has 30 copies of it.

Caraway
$3 - Action-Attack
+1 Card
Discard any number of cards.  +1 Action per card discarded.
Each other player gains an Estate, putting it into their hand.

Tarragon
$5 - Action
+2 Actions
Trash up to 2 cards from your hand.  +1 Card for every card trashed this way.

Lemongrass
$4 - Action
+1 Card
+2 Actions
--
When you discard this from play, you may put it on top of your deck if you bought a Treasure this turn.

Marjoram
$4 - Action-Duration
+2 Cards
At the start of your next turn, +2 Actions.

Cumin
$3 - Action-Victory
+2 Actions
+1 Buy
--
1 VP

Sage
$6 - Action-Duration
At the beginning of every one of your turns, +1 Action, +1 Buy.
--
While this card is in play, during your turn, Victory cards cost $2 more and non-Victory cards cost $1 more.

Mustard
$4 - Action
+1 Card
+2 Actions
You may put a Victory card from your hand on top of your deck. If you do, +1 Buy, +$2.

Sesame
$4 - Action
Choose one: Draw until you have 6 cards in hand; or: +2 Actions, +$1, +1 Buy.

Allspice
$4 - Action-Reaction
+1 Card
+2 Actions
If any Supply Victory card pile is empty, +1 Card.
--
When an opponent plays an attack card, you may reveal and set this aside from your hand.  If you do, +1 VP.  Restore this to your hand at the start of your turn.

Borage
$5 - Action
+4 Cards
+2 Actions
Put 4 cards on top of your deck in any order.

Chervil
$5 - Action
If played for the first time this turn: +2 Cards, +2 actions, +$1.
All other plays: +$1, +2 Actions.

Lavender
$4 - Action-Reaction
+1 Card
+2 Actions
--
When another player gains a Treasure, you may discard this card from your hand and gain a copy of the Treasure card they gained.

Mint
$5 - Action
+2 Cards
+2 Actions
--
When at least one [This Card] is in play and you gain a Province or Colony, every other player gains a gold, putting it into their hand.

Patchouli
$5 - Action
Gain a Copper, Silver, or Gold in hand.
If you gain a Copper, +2 Cards, +2 Actions.
If you gain a Silver, +1 Action.
If you gain a Gold, discard two cards.

Stevia
$3 - Action
Choose one: +2 Actions, or all players draw up to 6 cards in hand. You may set aside any Treasure cards drawn this way, as you draw them; discard the set aside cards after you finish drawing.
--
(Rules clarification: If the draw option is exercised, only the player who played the card may set aside Treasure cards as he draws up to 6 cards in hand; all other players simply draw up to 6 cards in hand.)

Cayenne
$3P - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
Choose one: +1 Card, +1 Action, +$1, +1 Buy.

Juniper
$4 - Action
+1 Card
+2 Actions
You may discard an Province. If you do, +1 Card.
--
In games using this, when you gain an Estate, you may gain a [This Card].

Fenugreek
$5 - Action
+1 Card
+2 Actions
If you have played [This Card] two or more times this turn, +1 Buy.
If you have played it three or more times this turn, +$1.
If you have played it four or more times this turn, +1 Card.
If you have played it five or more times this turn, +1 VP.

Arrowroot
$5 - Action
+1 Card
+2 Actions
--
When you gain this, gain a [This Card] token.
--
At the start of any turn, you may return one [This Card] token before you play your first action. If you do, +1 Action.

Poppy
$4 - Action
+1 Card
+2 Actions
Choose one: +1 Card, +$1, or trash a card from your hand.  If you choose...
+1 Card, each other player draws a card.
+$1, each other player gains a Copper in hand.
Trash a card, +1 VP, and each other player may trash a card from his hand.

Savory
$4 - Action-Attack
+2 Actions
+$1
Each other player may discard a Treasure card.  If he doesn't, he gains a Copper.

Vanilla
$4 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
Choose one: +1 Action, or discard your hand and draw 4 cards.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 08:12:27 am by rinkworks »

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2012, 12:09:37 pm »

Interesting. Were Fenugreek and Parsley submitted with the same card name?
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Dubdubdubdub

• Golem
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2012, 12:15:14 pm »

Pretty cool. But a 'Mint' card might get confusing.

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2012, 12:32:11 pm »
+1

Interesting. Were Fenugreek and Parsley submitted with the same card name?

Nope.

Pretty cool. But a 'Mint' card might get confusing.

Hahaha!  I can't believe I didn't even notice that.  Considering I see Dominion card names everywhere already -- did you see the Vaulting on the Olympics yesterday? -- it's shocking I didn't notice one in an actual Dominion context.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2012, 12:33:38 pm »
+1

I'm going to have trouble voting for my favorite card instead of my favorite spice. Looking at you, cardamom.

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2012, 12:39:12 pm »

I'm going to have trouble voting for my favorite card instead of my favorite spice. Looking at you, cardamom.

Same problem with lemongrass  ::)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2012, 12:40:50 pm »

This challenge raises the question: Is FV too strong, or funstrong?

I feel it is too strong.

Kelume

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +76
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2012, 12:54:53 pm »

This challenge raises the question: Is FV too strong, or funstrong?

I feel it is too strong.
I'm of the (possibly controversial) opinion that as long as a card is funstrong, it (almost) cannot be too strong. Many favourite cards tend to be the ones that change the landscape of the game, Fishing Village included!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 20 queries.