Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Combo: Haven & Watchtower/Library  (Read 3602 times)

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
Combo: Haven & Watchtower/Library
« on: July 23, 2012, 01:52:15 am »
+1

Combo: Haven & Watchtower/Library

Suppose I told you Tactician was a good card and you believed me (it is). Suppose I told you if you play 5 Havens on your turn without card draw you are effectively doing an ineffective tactician (you are). Now what if you could have your cake AND eat it too!

Haven + Draw to X will allow this.

Purchase Order Considerations
1) You should get 1 Draw to X terminal immediately and aim for your second before your second reshuffle if possible.
2) You should wait to get a Haven until after your first shuffle unless you have  the 5/2 start
3) You should buy enough cash to (consistently) buy 1 Province or Colony a turn, 2 if there is multibuy.
4) If there is a multibuy card that is non terminal pick this up ASAP your combo pieces are cheap this will allow you to get multiple or one and money.
5) Buy a haven before your second reshuffle and buy as many as you can once you've hit your money and draw to x threshold.
6) If there is a village card then you can pick up some of these and some additional draw to x terminals.
7) Warehouse / Filters are really useful for dropping your victory cards.
8) Other vanishing cards work really well if they add cash (Fishing Village) But this is a combo in itself with Draw to X.

Haven Order (Odd Turns [Turns you dont have a huge haven set up])
1) Haven Money First.
2) If you don't have a village and have multiple draw to x cards in hand haven your second draw to x card
3) If you run out of targets you can Haven any actions you have grabbed that are unnecessary this turn but will help next turn.
4) Haven, havens
5) Haven Victory cards.

Non-Haven Turns
1) Your Non haven turns are those where you set up a big haven previously, on these turns you haven away any unnecessary extras for the next turn but try to keep it down as the more you haven the less helpful your Draw to X terminals are.

Some General Thoughts
1) You can get away without +Cards in this deck as the havens act as +cards to get your Draw to X terminal.
2) When done right your second turn has useless draw to x cards in it.
3) The simulators do not allow customization of Haven rules so it is impossible to simulate
4) Watchtower allows a beneficial effect where you can throw your new cards on top which means its not the worst dead draw with no actions.

Watchtower vs Library
1) Watchtower costs less
2) Library not only draws more but skips additional actions when you are all out of actions
3) Wathctower can top deck combo pieces to get them into your deck one shuffle earlier.

4) I personally prefer the watchtower version, the cost and the ability to get pieces in a shuffle early can be invaluable. Library is still good but in the presence of both I will choose watchtower.

Works with
1) + Buy
2) Other vanishing cards (Fishing Village and lighthouse are allstars here)
3) Slower Games (You have to run the curse attack as well)
4) Opponents hand size reduction cards (Ghost Ship/Militia/Minion/Etc)

Conflicts with
1) Super quick boards (Jack/Govenor/Bridge Sillyness)

As always any and all input is welcomed. Thanks for taking the time to read! :)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 11:47:45 am by Insomniac »
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

^_^_^_^

• Minion
  • Crazy, You Have Been Warned
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
Re: Combo: Haven & Watchtower/Library
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 08:48:53 pm »

This looks really, REALLY complex to do correctly. Any logs of this working? Can it beat BM or Smithy-BM effectively?

edit: Which money do you want to haven(and why?)? The bigger(plat,gold) money, or the smaller(copper,silver)?
edit2: how many of each card should you get? Example: Festival, Watchtower, Haven.
Example: Watchtower, FV, Haven.
Can any trashing cards help this? Example: Apprentice?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 09:04:00 pm by ^_^_^_^ »
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Doug Z
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Donald X
The cost to buy me is 5Copper. What's Your Cost?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 09:06:11 pm »
+1

Haven reduces your hand size some turns to help draw until X, but then it makes your hand size large other turns, which hurts draw until X.  I guess Haven itself probably lets you manage that, but it still seems sketchy and I'm skeptical.

I would say DOESN'T work with Lighthouse because in a draw until X deck Lighthouse is definitely going to overpower Haven at that price point, every time.  It cooperates with the draw until X gameplan both turns it is in play instead of just one.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 09:07:54 pm by popsofctown »

mischiefmaker

• Golem
  • Respect: +108
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 06:28:38 pm »
+2

Haven reduces your hand size some turns to help draw until X, but then it makes your hand size large other turns, which hurts draw until X.  I guess Haven itself probably lets you manage that, but it still seems sketchy and I'm skeptical.

+1. I've tried Haven/draw to X decks; when they work badly (when you draw haven-haven-haven on turn x and watchtower on turn x+1) they're really bad, and even when they work well (draw haven-watchtower together, and no watchtower on the next turn) they're not great because you often have to guess what to Haven -- since you're taking blind draw you might haven coin and come up short of $8, or you might haven green and wind up with $11. That really hurts Haven's main selling point, which is to smooth out your draws.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 20 queries.