Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Clasic_Cards #5 - Catapult  (Read 4235 times)

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
  • Respect: +80
    • View Profile
Clasic_Cards #5 - Catapult
« on: July 20, 2012, 10:10:08 pm »

Catapult (2)
Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
Other players' Reaction cards have no effect while this is in play.

• I wanted to make a card that was an answer to answers. This seemed simple enough. I didn't want it to be an attack itself, but rather be able to combine with your other attacks to ensure their effects take place.
  • Ideally, this would be in a set that had more than the usual number of reaction cards, so that it mattered a bit more. How much are Dominion designs married to the set's they're from?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Clasic_Cards #5 - Catapult
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 10:21:30 pm »

You mentioned the main issue with this card -- it is almost entirely useless if there are no reactions on the board.  I say "almost" because it could still be used with Conspirator, HoP, and even KC in a pinch, just like all cantrips.  But other than that... it doesn't really do anything.

Some cards certainly do better within their sets.  For example, Scout is better with other Intrigue cards, specifically Great Hall, Harem and Nobles.

But all cards still have SOME use, despite what is on the board.  For example, Moat still has +2 cards which is functional even without attacks on the board.

I don't think there is a huge issue with nullifying reaction cards, but I think this needs something other than +1 Card, +1 Action.

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 11:17:36 pm »

I definitely want the +1 Action because it makes the entire theme work. I want the cost to be cheap because it's supposed to be a combo piece with attacks, which are mostly 4 and 5 costs. +2 Actions could work; it might be scary at that point, but not that much more than Village with attacks.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 11:25:13 pm »
+1

Reaction cards are fun. Nullifying Reaction cards seems like it would be not fun. That's my 2 cents.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 11:43:11 pm »

Then isn't playing on a board that lacks reaction cards "not fun"?  Do you prefer playing only kingdoms with reaction cards?  Which is a fair preference to have, just not one I think you can find amongst the community at large.

I'm not sure I'm a fan of the concept, but I do find that criticism hollow.  The card expands the game.  You can play a kingdom where Horse Traders is available for fueling Duke, but a Catapulted Militia threatens to turn it into discard fodder instead of a powerful reaction.  Playing Horse Traders in reaction might have been more fun, but since we play boards without reactions all the time we apparently prefer to expand possibilities more than play our favorite cards again and again.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 12:04:22 am »

One possible change is to ENSURE that a Reaction is in the set by making Catapult a Reaction itself.  Then, it can always be relevant on the board.  The question is then, what kind of reaction should Catapult be?  This is a pretty interesting design space.  You'll want a decent reaction that is generally useful, but not so good that all players HAVE to buy Catapult.

Mecherath

• Baron
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 12:18:11 am »

Just as the presence of a strong reaction makes an attack not worth getting, the presence of Catapult makes the reactions not worth getting.  It becomes a bit of an arms race, with a likely result being that there are two dead cards.  Nobody buys the reaction because the Catapult just makes it useless, but Catapults are useless unless your opponent has a reaction.

An interesting twist that would still be a bit thematic and give the card some use when there are no reactions are to let it search your deck for an attack and then play it.  An attack played this way would ignore all reactions or immunities (Such as Lighthouse).  Should probably force that to either trash the Catapult (it breaks) or the Attack used (spent ammunition).

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 01:55:48 am »

One possible change is to ENSURE that a Reaction is in the set by making Catapult a Reaction itself.  Then, it can always be relevant on the board.  The question is then, what kind of reaction should Catapult be?  This is a pretty interesting design space.  You'll want a decent reaction that is generally useful, but not so good that all players HAVE to buy Catapult.

That's a rather elegant solution to the "no reactions" problem. It might even want a redesign so that the reaction and the play effect are similar.

Just as the presence of a strong reaction makes an attack not worth getting, the presence of Catapult makes the reactions not worth getting.  It becomes a bit of an arms race, with a likely result being that there are two dead cards.  Nobody buys the reaction because the Catapult just makes it useless, but Catapults are useless unless your opponent has a reaction.

An interesting twist that would still be a bit thematic and give the card some use when there are no reactions are to let it search your deck for an attack and then play it.  An attack played this way would ignore all reactions or immunities (Such as Lighthouse).  Should probably force that to either trash the Catapult (it breaks) or the Attack used (spent ammunition).

It might be a little too much to say "reactions are useless", but I think this card is otherwise a bit weak, which might make it less worthwhile to purchase, though cards with that sort of fluctuation in power are often unfun. It is an issue I'd absolutely have to tackle. Your fix idea seems like a good one; I'll have to think about the best way to implement it.

Possible idea:

Catapult (2)
Action - Reaction
+1 Card
+1 Action
When you play this, you may trash it. If you do, Reactions have no effect this turn.
-----------------------
When another player plays an Attack card, you may trash this from your hand. If you do, you are unaffected by Attacks this turn.

That's thematic, but a bit wordy. *sigh*
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 02:48:46 am by Rush_Clasic »

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 02:21:28 am »

This is a bit weak. Even if reactions like Moat are on the board, I would not go for this card unless my opponent had lots of reactions. It just wouldn't be worth it.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 04:24:35 am »

How about a bonus if opponent's play Reaction cards rather than a hard block?  Something like "Choose one: +1 Card, +1 Action, +1 Buy, +$1,".  There are possible scaling issues in multiplayer, but it might be OK if each individual bonus is quite mild.

Mown

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 06:54:48 am »

I think the current incarnation is pretty weak. You will often not know if the opponent has a reaction when you play it, and the reaction part of it is significantly worse than Moat.
How about a bonus if opponent's play Reaction cards rather than a hard block?  Something like "Choose one: +1 Card, +1 Action, +1 Buy, +$1,".  There are possible scaling issues in multiplayer, but it might be OK if each individual bonus is quite mild.
Using this idea to a certain degree, would it be a decent idea if it "schemed" attacks in play if your opponent activated(?) a reaction card this turn? I suppose it strays a bit too much from the initial concept.

Another option is making reactions more punishing to play. "Other players can't activate reactions unless they discard a card."

Mecherath

• Baron
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2012, 01:02:16 am »

Making the card a Reaction itself is a good fix to ensure that any board with Catapult has at least one Reaction.  The Reaction you proposed is a one-shot Moat at the same cost though.

I think in this you are a bit limited by wanting to stick to a strong theme.  Dominion as a whole has a pretty light theme.  It's great when the cards work out, and I definitely appreciate that, but the mechanics trump the flavor a lot more than the other way around.  You are obviously wanting to stick to the theme, which is fine.

One possibility is to make the Reaction part of Catapult the anti-Reaction part.  Like Reaction - Reveal this card after playing an attack.  Reactions played this turn do not work on this attack.  Could also make it react to a reaction.  You can have triggers on discard though, and on card game, so it seems a reaction could just trigger on an attack.

Then find some base function of the card that is good and fits your theme.  Situational discounts might be good.  Maybe the idea is that they help your military in general, and so attacks purchased this turn cost $2 less.  Or make the catapults helping you conquer land.  Victory cards purchased this turn cost $2 less.

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 02:54:58 am »

Off the top of my head, having read some of the suggestions:

Action-Attack-Reaction
+1 Card
+1 Action
Each opponent trashes a card from their hand, then gains two Coppers.
-
When an opponent reveals a card during your turn, you may reveal and discard Catapult. If you do, opponent discard the reaction card and it has no effect.

Thematically: it attacks by breaking down opponent's holdings into rubble (giving Estates instead might have undesired side effects). It re-reacts by neutralizing the reaction. I suppose trashing both instead of discarding both is also a possibility.

I guess this would cost 4-ish with the attack?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 03:49:21 am »

Off the top of my head, having read some of the suggestions:

Action-Attack-Reaction
+1 Card
+1 Action
Each opponent trashes a card from their hand, then gains two Coppers.
-
When an opponent reveals a card during your turn, you may reveal and discard Catapult. If you do, opponent discard the reaction card and it has no effect.

Thematically: it attacks by breaking down opponent's holdings into rubble (giving Estates instead might have undesired side effects). It re-reacts by neutralizing the reaction. I suppose trashing both instead of discarding both is also a possibility.

I guess this would cost 4-ish with the attack?

Politics.

Also, your wording doesn't work because not all cards that are revealed are reactions.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.395 seconds with 20 queries.