Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14  All

Author Topic: The Contest Set Card List  (Read 178899 times)

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
Re: The Contest Set Card List
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2012, 04:31:19 pm »
+1

I love that art for pawn shop but I think it would be a stronger design if both the creepy guy and the kids' faces were in it. You may have to cut off the kids' legs but I think it would look a bit better.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2012, 04:47:20 pm »
+1

It's really cool that we've ended up with an actual Set rather than a bunch of cards being grouped together. Not only do we have a bit of a copper theme, but we also have every price from $2-$6.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2012, 04:53:26 pm »

It's really cool that we've ended up with an actual Set rather than a bunch of cards being grouped together. Not only do we have a bit of a copper theme, but we also have every price from $2-$6.

Also an alt-vp theme, due to the three-way tie. XD

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2012, 05:05:20 pm »

Yeah. We have the record for the most pure Victory cards in an expansion. (Unless you count Tunnel as a pure Victory card, in which case we're tied with Hinterlands.) Intrigue still has the record for most Victory cards in an expansion though.

Thanar

• Bishop
  • Respect: +138
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2012, 05:07:02 pm »
+1

Although I like the current image for the Gatherer card, before it was posted I found the image below and emailed the artist Andrew Finnie asking permission for us to use it. He emailed back saying, “I'd be honoured to have my Wood Gatherer illustration on the ‘Gatherer’ card.”

So is it possible to also make a version of the card with the following image? I think it would look best mirror imaged. It has a bit of a “creepier” feel to it like the image suggested for Pawn Shop. There have been fan-made cards with two card images before, such as Ghost Town

Wood Gatherer by Andrew Finnie
Different versions can be found here.

Nakamura

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Nakamura
  • Respect: +37
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2012, 05:31:50 pm »

I was thinking it would be nice to have the inventor of the card named on the card beside the illustrator, if there is enough room.

I added the creators' names.

Nakamura

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2012, 05:32:35 pm »
+1

I love that art for pawn shop but I think it would be a stronger design if both the creepy guy and the kids' faces were in it. You may have to cut off the kids' legs but I think it would look a bit better.

I changed it, you can see the creepy eyes now.

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2012, 05:33:40 pm »
+1

In looking for art, I check out some of the profiles of previous Dominion artists, I think I may have stumbled into some art that could be used in future dominion expansions? Abandoned City? Sounds like a card that could be in Dark Ages

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2012, 05:33:59 pm »

Ah I love it! Looks like it would fit right in with Alchemy art.

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2012, 05:35:06 pm »

Ah I love it! Looks like it would fit right in with Alchemy art.

yeah that looks awesome

Nakamura

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2012, 05:46:45 pm »

Although I like the current image for the Gatherer card, before it was posted I found the image below and emailed the artist Andrew Finnie asking permission for us to use it. He emailed back saying, “I'd be honoured to have my Wood Gatherer illustration on the ‘Gatherer’ card.”

So is it possible to also make a version of the card with the following image? I think it would look best mirror imaged. It has a bit of a “creepier” feel to it like the image suggested for Pawn Shop. There have been fan-made cards with two card images before, such as Ghost Town

I changed it. I like this image as well.

Thanar

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2012, 08:26:06 pm »
+3

Garrison – A body of troops stationed in a fortified place.

Here's another possible image, but I can't determine the artist name.
Hi-res version - http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/7210/frenchinfantry100ywboxa.jpg

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2012, 11:24:59 pm »
+1

A significant part of me thinks the Garrison needs to be Vimes, Carrot, and company.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

andwilk

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +152
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2012, 09:00:57 am »
+4

So far, I'm loving how this set is shaping up.  It even has the theme of copper interaction and alternate victory types (so far) and the some of the art gives it a bit of a creepy feel.  This is a perfect fit since this set will be completed after Dark Ages and it has a theme that fits well following a "dark ages" themed set.  Emphasis on copper and alternate victory cards gives the set a rebuilding feel.  Here's a short blurb I came up with this morning with the tone of the official Dominion descriptions in mind:

A new day brings a new opportunity.  You've survived the dark ages with most of your limbs accounted for and it's time to move back into that dilapidated castle of yours.  This ravine that you've been living in just doesn't cut it.  The barbarians are gone, but they didn't leave you much in your cache.  Luckily, they didn't check under the floorboards since that is where you kept all the copper and some unmentionables (good thing those barbarians aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer, but they did carry sharp knives).  Now's the time to start rebuilding and returning your kingdom to its former glory.  You'll have to be creative, and you don't have much to work with, but one day this kingdom will be yours again.

Dominion: Rebuild (working title) is a fan expansion to the game of Dominion created by the DominionStrategy.com community.  The central themes are copper interaction and alternate victory cards.

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2012, 10:58:10 am »
+1

Copper interaction as central theme :s ...

True, already 2 winning cards refer to coppers ! In fact I'm not a huge fan of it... because it simply goes against the engines, +$ actions... we need such ones, but... not too many of'em !
Chocolate is like victory points in Dominion. Both taste good but they'll hurt you if you eat too much of it instead of something else in your early days.

Dubdubdubdub

• Golem
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2012, 11:02:58 am »

So far, I'm loving how this set is shaping up.  It even has the theme of copper interaction and alternate victory types (so far) and the some of the art gives it a bit of a creepy feel.  This is a perfect fit since this set will be completed after Dark Ages and it has a theme that fits well following a "dark ages" themed set.  Emphasis on copper and alternate victory cards gives the set a rebuilding feel.  Here's a short blurb I came up with this morning with the tone of the official Dominion descriptions in mind:

A new day brings a new opportunity.  You've survived the dark ages with most of your limbs accounted for and it's time to move back into that dilapidated castle of yours.  This ravine that you've been living in just doesn't cut it.  The barbarians are gone, but they didn't leave you much in your cache.  Luckily, they didn't check under the floorboards since that is where you kept all the copper and some unmentionables (good thing those barbarians aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer, but they did carry sharp knives).  Now's the time to start rebuilding and returning your kingdom to its former glory.  You'll have to be creative, and you don't have much to work with, but one day this kingdom will be yours again.

Dominion: Rebuild (working title) is a fan expansion to the game of Dominion created by the DominionStrategy.com community.  The central themes are copper interaction and alternate victory cards.

I like the text, but agree with ChocophileBenj. We really can't know yet what the central theme will be.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2012, 12:32:32 pm »

I think the expansion name needs to be a noun like all the official expansions. Dominion: Reconstruction?

DWetzel

• Conspirator
  • The Human Edge Case
  • Respect: +272
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2012, 12:46:06 pm »
+2

If you are going with that theme, and I don't dislike it... Why not Renaissance?

Auto-Destruct Sequence

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2012, 01:01:26 pm »
+1

Not to sound picky, but the formatting of most of these cards are off. Especially when it comes to font size and spacing.

Also it seems like it would be more appropriate for the "Creator" to be placed on the bottom right side of the cards, where (c) Rio Grand Games normally goes.

Consistantancy with the official cards should be maintained where possible IMHO.

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +936
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2012, 01:21:34 pm »

I think the font itself is a lot of the problem.  Almoner looks right, but the others don't look like Times New Roman to me.  Great work nonetheless.

WheresMyElephant

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +63
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2012, 12:10:48 am »

Don't "Rebuild" and "Reconstruction" carry a weird connotation? These are the sort of names you'd give to a fan expansion that was designed to fix a broken game.

I guess it doesn't really matter; I suppose anyone involved enough with the community to find this expansion will know better. But it rubs me the wrong way somehow.

the first one looks great. But... What is a Pawn Shop?

For a more literal answer, a pawn shop is a small store where you can sell personal possessions, and they'll resell them at a markup. If you've come on hard times and you want to sell your wristwatch (or one you stole from somebody) this is where you go. At least in the pre-Craigslist era.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 12:19:54 am by WheresMyElephant »

Nakamura

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2012, 05:31:25 pm »

I think the font itself is a lot of the problem.  Almoner looks right, but the others don't look like Times New Roman to me.  Great work nonetheless.

Thanks. I changed the font. Maybe I'll replace "Creator" with the copyright sign? It would need less space.
I like Thanar's Garrison image.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 05:36:59 pm by Nakamura »

Nakamura

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2012, 05:45:05 pm »
+1

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +936
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2012, 07:24:49 pm »

Thanks. I changed the font. Maybe I'll replace "Creator" with the copyright sign? It would need less space.
I like Thanar's Garrison image.

Hey, looks great!  Thanks!

Thanar

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2012, 09:55:47 pm »
+1

Maybe I'll replace "Creator" with the copyright sign? It would need less space.

Since it needs to be clear that these cards are freely distributable fan variant (since we're using card design from Rio Grand Games and art from others), I would avoid using the copyright sign, since it might give the wrong impression.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.