Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14  All

Author Topic: The Contest Set Card List  (Read 180269 times)

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Re: The Contest Set Card List
« Reply #275 on: September 01, 2013, 08:11:52 pm »
+2

Completely unasked for, here is my opinion about the Harbinger situation.

Although I haven't playtested it, I love the concept of the card. I don't care that it's practically identical to Fact or Fiction. It's a concept that potentially makes a good Dominion card and it just so happens that it works best with 5 cards in both games. You can't really change that number without making the card significantly worse.

Although it's less obvious, I believe you also can't switch who does the partitioning without ruining the card. The problem is that as the player of the card, you have knowledge of your hand and you want to separate the revealed cards into piles such that the pile that looks weaker is the one you actually want for your current hand. In short, you're incentivized to trick your opponent. If that's not a recipe for AP, I don't know what is.

When your opponent separates the cards, whether he knows what's in your hand or not, he's just trying to separate the cards into piles of similar power, which I'm assuming is what the card is meant to do.

ta56636

• Bishop
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 04, 2013, 05:51:06 am »

Although I haven't playtested it, I love the concept of the card. I don't care that it's practically identical to Fact or Fiction. It's a concept that potentially makes a good Dominion card and it just so happens that it works best with 5 cards in both games. You can't really change that number without making the card significantly worse.

Although it's less obvious, I believe you also can't switch who does the partitioning without ruining the card. The problem is that as the player of the card, you have knowledge of your hand and you want to separate the revealed cards into piles such that the pile that looks weaker is the one you actually want for your current hand. In short, you're incentivized to trick your opponent. If that's not a recipe for AP, I don't know what is.

When your opponent separates the cards, whether he knows what's in your hand or not, he's just trying to separate the cards into piles of similar power, which I'm assuming is what the card is meant to do.

All very good points - I might just give it a whirl.  (I guess the only niggle I have is that is might be too often better than Lab.  After all in Magic (I believe) getting through cards is bad, whereas in Dominion cycling is good).

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: October 04, 2013, 03:34:51 pm »

All very good points - I might just give it a whirl.  (I guess the only niggle I have is that is might be too often better than Lab.  After all in Magic (I believe) getting through cards is bad, whereas in Dominion cycling is good).

Well, there are a few cards at $5 that are usually better than Laboratory. Hunting Party is almost always better and Stables is very often better. I have a $5 Laboratory in my set that is often better than Lab, and it's seemed OK so far. It could use a lot more playtesting, though.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: November 22, 2013, 05:50:16 pm »
+1

For what it's worth, Fact or Fiction is considered way above the curve in Magic now, and they recently printed Steam Augury, which does the same thing but reverses the decisions (as y'all were discussing).

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10764
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 19, 2013, 01:20:29 pm »

Hello all. I just registered to ask this question. Can someone who's still paying attention to this post please explain to me how Missionary is not extremely under-priced? Ex.: I draw Gold, Gold, Missionary, Copper, Missionary. I choose to skip my Action phase and buy a $7 Forge. I reveal and discard both Missionaries and instead gain two Provinces. Am I reading this incorrectly?

Thanks for the awesome fan cards. There are plenty that I would print as-is and plenty that could use some moderate to heavy modification.

The text on missionary seems a little ambiguous. But I think that you could only activate one missionary to get a province. Though you could then activate the second missionary to get a Platinum.

The order is, buy the Forge. Both missionaries give you the option of activating them, so you pick one and do what it says. Gain a province instead of a Forge. Then you can choose to activate the second one, but now you're gaining a province, so if you do, you'd have to gain something $1 more than a province. This isn't particularly strong since if the missionary is basically just a copper.

This is correct. I had a bit of trouble with the exact text, trying to make it unambiguous, but I guess it's just one of those cards that people may have trouble with.

It's the same wording as Trader, though. You can't reveal multiple Traders to get multiple Silvers instead of 1 Copper.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Auto-Destruct Sequence

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: March 01, 2014, 04:42:46 pm »
+11

I got a little board and decided to finish create cards for all of the cards still lacking an image.  All are High Resolution 696 x 1074 pixels. Hopefully I didn't make too many errors. Please let me know if you find any.

All full high Resolution cards can be downloaded here: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/wjam0b5ewaw1l/Fan_Card_Contest

I also created a new Card for Canal with new art since I used its picture for Barge. I also clarified the wording (but not function) of the card slightly while maintaining Polk5440's intent. Barge uses the image from the old Canal card. It was impossible to find an acceptable painting of a barge, as other's have noted.

Amulet is not complete. I don't have a template for a large $3 coin or the top $3 coins. If anyone has acceptable images for these coins I would be more than willing to finish it up.

Soothsayer needs to be renamed since "Soothsayer" is used in dark ages. I suggest "Clairvoyant". Thoughts?

Mountain Pass does not use the coin icons in its text and needs to have a new card created. I'd be willing to create a new card if I had access to the original picture used in the card.

I think we should consider adding a matching Set Icon to the lower right corner of each of the cards just like the official dominion expansions. I'd be willing to add said set Icons, clean up and create High Resolution Cards for any of the previously posted cards If someone would send me the original pictures used in them.

And thanks ringworks and others for all your extraordinary effort put into this project. It is greatly appreciated. I apologize for the huge preview images. I was unsure how to post smaller preview images.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 10:51:22 pm by Auto-Destruct Sequence »

florrat

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: florrat
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: March 01, 2014, 08:59:52 pm »

Nice! To make the images smaller (if you want), add width=xxx to the img-tag. Example: (quote this post to see source)

Auto-Destruct Sequence

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: March 01, 2014, 10:05:51 pm »
+2

Fixed. Thanks.

So now that we have images for nearly all (excluding Amulet), Is the wording of these cards and the others posted at the front of the thread representative of the the finalized set, or are there still some changing and play testing going on? If so, what do we need to do to get these in polished form? Please excuse my ignorance of the exact status of the project. I've been dominionless for several months now. Heresy I know, but I'm trying to repent.

What do you guys think about these set icons? Is this something that we would want to add the finalized cards for this set? I tried to pick something that expressed community involvement.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 10:43:14 pm by Auto-Destruct Sequence »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: March 01, 2014, 10:46:57 pm »
+1

Mountain Pass does not use the coin icons in its text and needs to have a new card created. I'd be willing to create a new card if I had access to the original picture used in the card.

What are you talking about?  It uses the coin icons.  I totally didn't forget the first time.  I certainly didn't fix it just now.  And if you aren't seeing the coin icons now, you shouldn't refresh your browser and you are probably seeing things and should go take a nap or something...

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 01, 2014, 11:21:17 pm »
+2

I tried to pick something that expressed community involvement.

I would suggest a black and white version of this:

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: March 02, 2014, 12:22:54 pm »
+2

I still like the idea of a "fan" for the symbol.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +864
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 08, 2014, 09:07:54 pm »

I like the small group of people standing close together as "expansion symbol".

Please excuse me, if my question seems redundant - I'm very new to the forums and didn't get the chance to read all the important threads, yet; Are these Fan Cards going to be published as an unofficial physical expansion set with permission from DXV and Hans im Glück? Or will the cards be available only in digital form? Are all the cards finished and have an artwork?
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 08, 2014, 09:44:08 pm »

I like the small group of people standing close together as "expansion symbol".

Please excuse me, if my question seems redundant - I'm very new to the forums and didn't get the chance to read all the important threads, yet; Are these Fan Cards going to be published as an unofficial physical expansion set with permission from DXV and Hans im Glück? Or will the cards be available only in digital form? Are all the cards finished and have an artwork?

Digital.  Most of the artwork is from online.  I can't speak for others, but I only use public domain/royalty free artwork, or else I ask the artist for permission. 

Nik

• Baron
  • Respect: +40
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 09, 2014, 10:01:56 am »

Is there any way to print these cards?

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 09, 2014, 10:16:16 am »

Can you discard two missionaries when you are about to gain a curse to gain an estate, even though there are no 1$ in the kingdom?

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 09, 2014, 11:17:32 am »

Can you discard two missionaries when you are about to gain a curse to gain an estate, even though there are no 1$ in the kingdom?

The answer to this question is going to be the same as the answer to "can I reveal a Trader to Witch if the curses are empty?" I don't know the answer to that question either though.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 09, 2014, 03:30:42 pm »
+1

The answer to this question is going to be the same as the answer to "can I reveal a Trader to Witch if the curses are empty?" I don't know the answer to that question either though.

I'm 99% sure that the answer is no.

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 09, 2014, 05:20:58 pm »
+1

Nice work, guys !

And by the way :

Barge >>>>>>>>> everything else ! (both the card and the illustration)
Chocolate is like victory points in Dominion. Both taste good but they'll hurt you if you eat too much of it instead of something else in your early days.

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 09, 2014, 05:23:25 pm »

Nice illustrating work !

And by the way :

Barge >>>>>>>>> everything else ! (both the card and the illustration)
Chocolate is like victory points in Dominion. Both taste good but they'll hurt you if you eat too much of it instead of something else in your early days.

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 09, 2014, 06:06:45 pm »
+1

I'm 99% sure that the answer is no.

I concur. This is the exact same reaction as the "bargain" card I submitted to the last hinterlands contest.

If you discard one to the curse then instead of gaining a curse you gain a card costing $1, but there aren't any cards costing $1, so you gain nothing. There's no second would gain to react to.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

Thanar

• Bishop
  • Respect: +138
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 23, 2014, 09:34:25 pm »
+2

So I printed the first 9 of this set out and we played a game tonight with Astrolabe, Canal, Barge, Landfall, and Harbinger (along with Shantytown, Sea Hag, Trade Route, Island, and Horse Traders.

Barge was a great opener for trashing, and Trade Route became useful with all the alt-VP cards once they were bought.

But the far and away most-overpowered-card-on-the-board was... Harbinger! One player got one early, followed by another 3 of them and a couple golds, in a deck trimmed by barge, and it was a runaway victory.

Harbinger is much better than Laboratory for the following reasons:

1) You generally choose between 3 cards and 2 cards, whichever is better for you, based on looking at the cards already in your hand (compared to Lab giving you just 2 cards, without a choice, sight unseen).
2) You can guarantee that you will get the "one card you need" from the next 5 cards, which is often crucial.
3) Since you draw a total of 5 cards, it helps with cycling which helps in building an engine.
4) Once you hit a "critical density" of Harbingers (~ one Harbinger in every 4 cards in your deck), you end up with starting hands of two Harbingers, where on the first Harbinger, you can just take the pile with more cards in it (guaranteeing you getting 3+ cards), followed by playing your other Harbinger, and they start feeling like always-activated Menageries.

At the end of the game, we unanimously agreed that Harbinger was an interesting card, but that it should cost 6.

Otherwise, the cards and the game were very interesting. Well done, card designers!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 10:47:56 pm by Thanar »

jamespotter

• Navigator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 24, 2014, 07:17:48 am »

Thanks so much for illustrating all of the cards! I thought I should mention, the current artworked version of silver smelter is incorrect; it gives +1 card +1 action, when it actually should give +1 action, +1 buy.

mith

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: mith
  • Respect: +778
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #297 on: November 02, 2015, 06:12:00 pm »

I know it's been a long time since this forum was active, but I was wondering if anyone has copies of the (full-size) card images for this contest - some of the dropbox links in the OP no longer work.

Thanar

• Bishop
  • Respect: +138
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: November 03, 2015, 01:38:42 pm »

If you scroll up a bit, there is a post - http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=3521.msg349608#msg349608 - with full size images of most (if not all of the cards, with some alternates). It also gives the following link where you can download the images: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/wjam0b5ewaw1l/Fan_Card_Contest

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10764
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: November 03, 2015, 02:30:34 pm »

If you scroll up a bit, there is a post - http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=3521.msg349608#msg349608 - with full size images of most (if not all of the cards, with some alternates). It also gives the following link where you can download the images: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/wjam0b5ewaw1l/Fan_Card_Contest

Man, in the current picture form, Amulet looks like a really terrible card. Like, way worse than a Confusion.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14  All

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 21 queries.