Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14  All

Author Topic: The Contest Set Card List  (Read 179391 times)

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +949
    • View Profile
Re: The Contest Set Card List
« Reply #250 on: November 01, 2012, 01:05:01 am »
+1

"I can't count the reasons I should stay..."
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: November 01, 2012, 08:12:05 pm »
+2

How about dominion: Community

Only if the token at the bottom of the cards is this:

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: November 02, 2012, 12:55:58 am »
+2

I approve.  It is a symbol for the crossroads of ideas, which is very representative of our community effort to bring out the best card ideas. :)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: November 05, 2012, 02:38:48 am »

"Out of many asses."  That might work, but the symbol being too... appropriate... makes it inappropriate for the cards.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: November 18, 2012, 07:48:27 pm »

So. This is dead.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: November 18, 2012, 11:33:34 pm »

I haven't had time to go back and mock up the other cards.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #256 on: November 19, 2012, 08:35:06 am »

rinkworks hasn't posted since Oct. 24. I wonder where he has gotten to?

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: November 19, 2012, 01:33:20 pm »

It's quite possible that this whole contest wore him out. It's also possible that he's just losing interest in Dominion. WanderingWinder hasn't logged into the forums since early October.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: November 19, 2012, 02:40:53 pm »

It's quite possible that this whole contest wore him out. It's also possible that he's just losing interest in Dominion. WanderingWinder hasn't logged into the forums since early October.

I think rinkwork's cares enough about us that he would let us know if he was leaving. :)

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: November 19, 2012, 02:53:39 pm »
+3

I think rinkwork's cares enough about us that he would let us know if he was leaving. :)

Eh, that's not really the way to think about it. It's not like someone decides, "Welp, that's enough of this hobby. Better let everyone know I'm done!" It's a gradual thing. It's easy to say to yourself, "I'll post something tomorrow. I'm not really feeling up to it today." But then you don't really feel like it tomorrow either. Eventually you just forget about it entirely. If he doesn't post again, I wouldn't take it personally.

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +937
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #260 on: November 27, 2012, 02:21:43 pm »
+11

Still around.  The contest did wear me out, but I'm not gone.  Just needed a little while to recharge.

Blueswan

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 28, 2013, 03:08:05 am »

Too bad this never got finished up. Looks really cool.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 28, 2013, 10:05:19 am »
+1

Too bad this never got finished up. Looks really cool.

I think all the card text is finished; we just need art and renders, and then playtesting?

KTrazz

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 30, 2013, 01:53:25 pm »

Hello all. I just registered to ask this question. Can someone who's still paying attention to this post please explain to me how Missionary is not extremely under-priced? Ex.: I draw Gold, Gold, Missionary, Copper, Missionary. I choose to skip my Action phase and buy a $7 Forge. I reveal and discard both Missionaries and instead gain two Provinces. Am I reading this incorrectly?

Thanks for the awesome fan cards. There are plenty that I would print as-is and plenty that could use some moderate to heavy modification.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: May 30, 2013, 01:59:31 pm »

Hello all. I just registered to ask this question. Can someone who's still paying attention to this post please explain to me how Missionary is not extremely under-priced? Ex.: I draw Gold, Gold, Missionary, Copper, Missionary. I choose to skip my Action phase and buy a $7 Forge. I reveal and discard both Missionaries and instead gain two Provinces. Am I reading this incorrectly?

Thanks for the awesome fan cards. There are plenty that I would print as-is and plenty that could use some moderate to heavy modification.

The text on missionary seems a little ambiguous. But I think that you could only activate one missionary to get a province. Though you could then activate the second missionary to get a Platinum.

The order is, buy the Forge. Both missionaries give you the option of activating them, so you pick one and do what it says. Gain a province instead of a Forge. Then you can choose to activate the second one, but now you're gaining a province, so if you do, you'd have to gain something $1 more than a province. This isn't particularly strong since if the missionary is basically just a copper.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 30, 2013, 02:39:30 pm »

The text on missionary seems a little ambiguous. But I think that you could only activate one missionary to get a province. Though you could then activate the second missionary to get a Platinum.

The order is, buy the Forge. Both missionaries give you the option of activating them, so you pick one and do what it says. Gain a province instead of a Forge. Then you can choose to activate the second one, but now you're gaining a province, so if you do, you'd have to gain something $1 more than a province. This isn't particularly strong since if the missionary is basically just a copper.

I think jonts' interpretation is correct.

I don't think it's ambiguous, though I see where the misinterpretation could occur.  Having multiple Missionaries in hand would not enable you to replace a single gain with two gains.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 30, 2013, 03:04:47 pm »
+2

Reminds me how badly I want there to be another one of these contests.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

heatthespurs

• Spy
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: May 31, 2013, 01:12:44 am »

Reminds me how badly I want there to be another one of these contests.

Maybe a 2013 contest? Afterall dominion had new expansion from time to time...

KTrazz

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 31, 2013, 01:55:14 am »

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to have to re-read DXV's when/would-gain explanations.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 02:23:23 pm by KTrazz »

Graystripe77

• Tactician
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #269 on: June 06, 2013, 08:13:50 am »

This is correct. I had a bit of trouble with the exact text, trying to make it unambiguous, but I guess it's just one of those cards that people may have trouble with.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: June 13, 2013, 12:28:12 pm »
+2

Soothsayer here now needs a new name.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 26, 2013, 09:37:33 pm »
+5

Blast from the past.

Image: Mountain Village Gunib in Daghestan View from the East - Ivan Aivazovsky

Image: School for Peasants Children in Verkiai - Vasily Sadovnikov

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 26, 2013, 11:23:38 pm »

^ Very nice.

I like the fan cards that won this contest very much. Even the ones I initially did not like have grown on me in the last year. My quibbles about the strength and game-breakingness of a couple of these cards have been silenced by Rebuild, the most powerful card in Dominion. It probably takes to school the strongest cards here.

ta56636

• Bishop
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: September 01, 2013, 04:42:07 pm »

Really interesting coming to these well after the event.

(And seeing the ones that are so similar to official cards that came out after they were created - I'm looking at you Gatherer/Journeyman)

Two I like the look of most: Pawn Shop and Harbinger.

I read that Pawn Shop got some good testing.  With Harbinger:

eHalcyon: Do you think it is now too similar to Advisor?

Also - The only thing I don't like about it is that it is the player to the left who does the separating (which I think is the fun part of the card) rather than the person using it.  What do you think of the player seperating and the player to the left (or possible right would be better) choosing.  It would make it less powerful - (e.g.) 3 Coppers and 2 Estates, but marginally more powerful, in that the player choosing wouldn't know what you've got left in your hand.  Although to be honest it probably is better as you had it.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: September 01, 2013, 07:39:57 pm »
+1

eHalcyon: Do you think it is now too similar to Advisor?

Also - The only thing I don't like about it is that it is the player to the left who does the separating (which I think is the fun part of the card) rather than the person using it.  What do you think of the player seperating and the player to the left (or possible right would be better) choosing.  It would make it less powerful - (e.g.) 3 Coppers and 2 Estates, but marginally more powerful, in that the player choosing wouldn't know what you've got left in your hand.  Although to be honest it probably is better as you had it.

I do not think it is too similar to Advisor.  But here is the secret history of Harbinger.

It began as a submission to an earlier challenge from this contest, for a non-attack interaction card.  My submission came in tied for second:

#2 (tie) - Artificer by eHalcyon with 13 points (Clementine)
$5 - Action
+5 Cards
+1 Action
Reveal your hand.  The player to your left chooses a card to discard from your hand, then the player to your right does the same.

I like Artificer much more than Harbinger.  It turns out that Advisor is like a smaller version of Artificer.  Hard to say which one is better.  I don't think Artificer is too similar to Advisor either though -- it's fine for there to be bigger versions of other cards.

Anyway, then there came the non-terminal draw contest.  I did not want to resubmit Artificer without changes, although perhaps I should have.  I came up with Harbinger.  I debated between the submitted version and a version where the roles were flipped (player separates, opponent chooses pile).  I no longer remember why I went with the choice that I did.

As it turns out, Harbinger is extremely close to a MtG card.  Almost exactly the same, actually.  I do not play Magic, but I had in fact seen that card before.  I did not remember it when I made Harbinger, though it was probably floating about in my subconscious.  After I learned of this similarity (before voting closed, actually), I suggested removing it from the running in a PM to the contest organizer.  He decided to leave it in.  It ended up tying for first.  I continued to suggest dropping it, especially as I won a few other challenges, but it just never happened.

It is probably too strong as it is, and flipping the roles would help a little.  I'd also feel better about it because it would be different from Fact or Fiction.

I don't think either version would be too similar to Advisor.  The neat part is the separating of piles, which is not at all part of Advisor.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14  All

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 23 queries.