Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14  All

Author Topic: The Contest Set Card List  (Read 178926 times)

Thanar

• Bishop
  • Respect: +138
    • View Profile
Re: The Contest Set Card List
« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2012, 05:33:10 pm »

I can probably find some time to make the other cards if someone provides a royalty free image...

Your wish is my command:

Retort - "In a chemistry laboratory, a retort is a glassware device used for distillation or dry distillation of substances. It consists of a spherical vessel with a long downward-pointing neck." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retort)

The Laboratory by Dante Gabriel Rossetti (1849)
Hi-res versions: http://www.wikipaintings.org/en/dante-gabriel-rossetti/the-laboratory-1849

(The image could be cropped in to just the retort bottle, or wider to include the chemists, with a little cloning/retouching in the upper left)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2012, 09:10:44 pm »

The first image I linked for Retort is probably royalty-free, it was painted in 1771.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 22, 2012, 12:15:10 am »

The first image I linked for Retort is probably royalty-free, it was painted in 1771.

Is your linked image the one you'd like to be used?  Who was the artist?

cactus

• Apprentice
  • Then: longtime lurker. Now: occasional poster.
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 22, 2012, 03:47:37 am »

I hope you don't mind me commenting in the negative given that I haven't been involved in this set design process at all but I just have to say: I really don't like the art for Aqua Vitae.... looks like a photo.... possibly a still from a B-grade south east asian horror flick...? It really is a clash for the rest of the dominion art.

Apologies if this causes offence because it sounds like you might personally know the artist but I just thought I should say something because the rest of the expansion you guys have got going here is looking very promising and looks like most of it would fit seamlessly with a regular game of dominion.

I seem to remember there was quite a bit of art from old alchemical manuscripts floating around the web a few years ago - you might be able to look at something like that for Aqua Vitae?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 22, 2012, 04:25:59 am »

I hope you don't mind me commenting in the negative given that I haven't been involved in this set design process at all but I just have to say: I really don't like the art for Aqua Vitae.... looks like a photo.... possibly a still from a B-grade south east asian horror flick...? It really is a clash for the rest of the dominion art.

Apologies if this causes offence because it sounds like you might personally know the artist but I just thought I should say something because the rest of the expansion you guys have got going here is looking very promising and looks like most of it would fit seamlessly with a regular game of dominion.

I seem to remember there was quite a bit of art from old alchemical manuscripts floating around the web a few years ago - you might be able to look at something like that for Aqua Vitae?

I don't know the artist.  I'm not offended.

If you can find something suitable, I would be happy to change it.  I didn't really find anything else that I liked.

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 22, 2012, 04:44:29 am »

The image of aqua vitae is magnificient.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #81 on: August 22, 2012, 07:33:39 am »
+3

I don't have a problem with Aqua Vitae's image. Have you seen Navigator? It's definitely better than Navigator.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 22, 2012, 11:37:51 am »

The only problem with Aqua Vitae's image is that it's a photomanip rather than a painting/drawing.  That's an exceedingly minor quibble.  Otherwise it's excellent.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 22, 2012, 02:48:26 pm »

It's definitely a great image, but it just doesn't feel as medieval as the rest of the card images.

Thanar

• Bishop
  • Respect: +138
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 22, 2012, 04:27:45 pm »
+1

Regarding the Aqua Vitae image, while it is striking, I agree that the style is not consistent with the medieval feel of the rest of the images. I'll see if I can find any alternatives to propose.

Regarding Kirian's first image for Retort (http://hem.fyristorg.com/lbl/alchemy.jpg), using the reverse image search tool tineye.com, I found another version of the image at http://www.gettyimages.ca/detail/illustration/the-alchymist-1771-stock-graphic/73216883?Language=en-US which offered the following info:

The Alchymist by Joseph Wright of Derby (1771)
(His name could also be shortened to simply "Joseph Wright" if there's not enough space on the card.)

Since we don't include the painting titles on the card, the following is beside the point, but Wikipedia gives the following abbreviated titles: The Alchemist Discovering Phosphorus or The Alchemist in Search of the Philosophers Stone. The full title is a mouthful:
The Alchymist, In Search of the Philosopher’s Stone, Discovers Phosphorus, and prays for the successful Conclusion of his operation, as was the custom of the Ancient Chymical Astrologers
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:JosephWright-Alchemist.jpg)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 22, 2012, 04:30:31 pm »

Ha, contentious.

Nakamura

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Nakamura
  • Respect: +37
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 22, 2012, 05:10:04 pm »

If you can find something suitable, I would be happy to change it.  I didn't really find anything else that I liked.

I like the image.
I tried something in Photoshop so maybe this looks more like a painting?
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/93094246/Aquavitae3.png

Also, I would chose a larger image detail. Include the flowers in her hair.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 05:13:22 pm by Nakamura »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 22, 2012, 05:13:23 pm »

I tried something in Photoshop so maybe this looks more like a painting?
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/93094246/Aquavitae3.png

Ha, no offense but I could probably do a better just of making it look like a painting. ;)

If it comes to that, I would first ask the artist for permission to modify the image.

Nakamura

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Nakamura
  • Respect: +37
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 22, 2012, 05:14:43 pm »

Great, do it.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 22, 2012, 11:14:42 pm »

Great, do it.

My main concern is that some artists really don't like others modifying their work.  If I ask, she may be offended.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 22, 2012, 11:45:00 pm »
+2

Retort:

And a modified version of Aqua Vitae:

Only the thumbnail is provided.  I still think it's fairly offensive to ask to modify the artwork, so I haven't asked.  I think the original artwork is fine and not too photorealistic.  Opinion so far has been divided.  But there are some pretty big style differences among official cards too.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 22, 2012, 11:53:06 pm »

I think I prefer the original AV image to the modified one.  And I think that's perfect for Retort!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 23, 2012, 12:10:08 am »

I think I prefer the original AV image to the modified one.  And I think that's perfect for Retort!

I do too, but maybe it's because the edit made it oversaturated.  Easy to fix.  But again, I'd rather just leave it with the original.  The only edit I was inclined to carry out was desaturating everything but the potion bottle and an aura around it, as if the bottle was emanating life (colour) into its surroundings.  But I though that even such a minor alteration was still disrespectful of the artist, so I left it alone.

Maybe I'm a bit too pedantic. :P

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 23, 2012, 02:56:54 am »
+3

Wikipaintings.org is a good site for finding public domain paintings. 

For Carpenter:

http://www.wikipaintings.org/en/carl-larsson/in-the-carpenter-shop-1905

I hope Nidrosil doesn't mind, but I slightly modified the wording to match Workshop and Feast ("costing up to" vs. "costing at most").  And of course I would be happy to change the image if Nidrosil prefers something else. :)

Edit: Maybe this image for Production Village?

van Gogh is cool, right? :)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 03:30:02 am by eHalcyon »

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #94 on: August 23, 2012, 07:59:11 am »
+1

I was thinking about future challenges, and what their rules might be, and thought that a fun challenge would be one where your card has to violate some established Dominion Card rule. As discussed in this thread, DA has added cards that violate many standard fan card no-nos (cost $1 cards, gaining from the trash, choosing what your opponent discards, etc.). This shows that many of the rules aren't hard and fast, but strong guidelines that can be broken if you are careful.

So, it would be fun to gather a list of these generally established rules and have a challenge where you have to break one of them. Or maybe there wouldn't be a list of the rules, but the voters would be encouraged to only vote for cards that really seemed to break an established guideline. Either way, it would be fun to try to pick out a card that broke the rules carefully, in a way that would actually work, as many of the DA cards have.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 23, 2012, 04:11:57 pm »

So the image above that was considered for Amulet was used for L5R, which means teh artist probably can't even give permission to use it.  So I'll be trying to find something else. :)

Nicrosil

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 25, 2012, 10:34:42 am »

Wikipaintings.org is a good site for finding public domain paintings. 

For Carpenter:

http://www.wikipaintings.org/en/carl-larsson/in-the-carpenter-shop-1905

I hope Nidrosil doesn't mind, but I slightly modified the wording to match Workshop and Feast ("costing up to" vs. "costing at most").  And of course I would be happy to change the image if Nidrosil prefers something else. :)

That looks good to me.  :)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 27, 2012, 07:11:55 pm »

Am I the only one who worries that the set now has four non-terminal drawing cards (Panacea, Retort, Conference Room, Harbinger)?  I feel hesitant to vote for or create anything else that can give +1 Action, +2 Cards...

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 28, 2012, 08:12:00 am »
+1

This set has potion cards. They almost don't count. In Alchemy: Alchemist, Apothecary, Scrying Pool. You can consider Golem and Apprentice in a set of 12 kingdom cards. Cornicopia has 13 cards and 2 non-terminal draw. There are not many sets with a ratio like that, for sure.

yudantaiteki

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +167
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 28, 2012, 09:59:31 am »

I was thinking about future challenges, and what their rules might be, and thought that a fun challenge would be one where your card has to violate some established Dominion Card rule. As discussed in this thread, DA has added cards that violate many standard fan card no-nos (cost $1 cards, gaining from the trash, choosing what your opponent discards, etc.). This shows that many of the rules aren't hard and fast, but strong guidelines that can be broken if you are careful.

So, it would be fun to gather a list of these generally established rules and have a challenge where you have to break one of them. Or maybe there wouldn't be a list of the rules, but the voters would be encouraged to only vote for cards that really seemed to break an established guideline. Either way, it would be fun to try to pick out a card that broke the rules carefully, in a way that would actually work, as many of the DA cards have.

I second this idea -- sounds like a lot of fun.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14  All

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 20 queries.