Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14  All

Author Topic: The Contest Set Card List  (Read 178905 times)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: The Contest Set Card List
« Reply #100 on: August 29, 2012, 04:51:37 am »
+4

Production Village and Crystal Ball:

Any thoughts?  I did not have an adequate blank for Treasure-Reaction so I did my best to manipulate the colours on a Reaction blank.  Not sure if I succeeded.

I feel like the big $2 is still too small, but I had to fit the text too.

The Crystal Ball image uses this free image as a base.  I added a bunch of distortions of the Soothsayer image as refractions and shadows in the ball.

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 29, 2012, 06:53:35 am »

Any thoughts?  I did not have an adequate blank for Treasure-Reaction so I did my best to manipulate the colours on a Reaction blank.  Not sure if I succeeded.

It looks great! I don't really get the "reflecting the Soothsayer" bit; rather, it looks like it's reflecting the gold and blue colours from the frame of the card :)

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +936
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #102 on: August 29, 2012, 07:52:56 am »

Great work!  My OCD is hitting me on something, though -- the lack of capital letters in the "Production Village" name.  Can I trouble you to fix that?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 29, 2012, 10:40:08 am »

It looks great! I don't really get the "reflecting the Soothsayer" bit; rather, it looks like it's reflecting the gold and blue colours from the frame of the card :)

One image of her is inverted in the top of the ball, two are in the bottom and bottom left.  Those are quite distorted and blurred so they may not be obvious.  However, there are also two less distorted images of her in the center which I believe are still discernible in the final image.  See below, bottom right.

Great work!  My OCD is hitting me on something, though -- the lack of capital letters in the "Production Village" name.  Can I trouble you to fix that?

I knew something was off!  Fixed and updated at the source.

PenPen

• Thief
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 29, 2012, 10:54:44 am »

Them cards are looking nice!

I wonder if there's general rule of thumb of how the card costs are distributed. The base set has lots of $3 and $4 cards. Prosperity has  more expensive cards, but it's mostly because they got Platinum as well.

So far the majority of our cards are $4 and $5...I wonder if we'll be doing a few lower costing cards to balance out?

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +936
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #105 on: August 29, 2012, 12:42:35 pm »

I wonder if there's general rule of thumb of how the card costs are distributed. The base set has lots of $3 and $4 cards. Prosperity has  more expensive cards, but it's mostly because they got Platinum as well.

So far the majority of our cards are $4 and $5...I wonder if we'll be doing a few lower costing cards to balance out?

Way back, I posted a breakdown by set of the distribution of card costs, but heck if I can find it now.  Anyway, in each set, $4 and $5 are the most common costs, with the median being $4.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #106 on: August 29, 2012, 01:18:12 pm »

Here's the table I made for this. I haven't gotten around to adding DA yet, but will soon. I'll also add and update this fan expansion so we can compare

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 29, 2012, 01:33:44 pm »

Here's the table I made for this. I haven't gotten around to adding DA yet, but will soon. I'll also add and update this fan expansion so we can compare

I'll be favouring cheap cards and virtual coin in the upcoming contests.  We have a lot of draw already.

Schneau

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #108 on: August 29, 2012, 01:37:24 pm »

It looks like we have a few too many $5s and not quite enough $2s and $3s, but are otherwise pretty close to the overall distribution!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 29, 2012, 01:39:33 pm »

Speaking of OCD, does it bother you that some of the fan card images have purplish borders and others don't? 

Also, if you look carefully, the top "banner" of Crystal Ball is a bit taller than Production Village.  There are probably some others that are off as well.  In the template that Schlippy kindly put together, the Treasure blank was particularly egregious.  The templates weren't all uniform, probably due to oddities in card scans.  I took the Reaction blank and modified the colours, as well as making the top part a bit taller so as to accommodate the corner coin symbols.

And the text placement for the costs probably aren't all perfectly uniform either.

And the font for the costs aren't the same in all of the card images (some are using that Optimus Princeps font; I use Book Antiqua because I think it is a better approximation for Minion Pro, which I believe is the official font for the cost number).

And the cards aren't all the same size. ;)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 29, 2012, 02:39:18 pm »

Hey guys... what in the world does a panacea look like?

For Amulet, maybe someone could take a photo of someone wearing a large, fancy necklace and then we'll just photoshop the heck out of it.

Edit: Even a photo of someone's bare neck might be good enough.  Hmm, maybe I can find a free stock photo with that.

Edit2: Or what about using a rosary?  It would fit in with Chapel and Bishop as church-related cards that trash.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 03:07:26 pm by eHalcyon »

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 29, 2012, 03:17:03 pm »

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f3/Talisman_de_Charlemagne_Tau.jpg

For amulet?  I can probably 'shop it into something more like a painting.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 29, 2012, 03:35:36 pm »

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f3/Talisman_de_Charlemagne_Tau.jpg

For amulet?  I can probably 'shop it into something more like a painting.

No thoughts on using a Rosary?

Photoshop away.  I can give it a try too, later.  I'm not sure what to do with the background though.  On Crystal Ball I sort of just let it fade into darkness.  That's why I think it might be good to take a photo of a neck on which we can place the amulet.  The amulet itself should be easy to Photoshop, even from scratch.  People are beyond my ability.

Schneau

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #113 on: August 29, 2012, 10:09:44 pm »

I updated my spreadsheet to include DA cards and our fan cards. We could use another 2 and 3, and maybe a 4, but we're pretty close to the distribution of the rest of the expansions!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 29, 2012, 10:14:22 pm »

It would be more work, but it would be interesting to see how many different types of cards are in each expansion -- VP, Treasure, Attack.  Maybe more specific like cantrips, villages, terminal draw, non-terminal draw, virtual coin.  The set right now has very little +$, and the only +Buy is on an expensive Potion card.

razorborne

• Bishop
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 29, 2012, 10:15:02 pm »

I updated my spreadsheet to include DA cards and our fan cards. We could use another 2 and 3, and maybe a 4, but we're pretty close to the distribution of the rest of the expansions!
that distribution is thrown a decent amount by prosperity, though.

zahlman

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 30, 2012, 01:47:32 am »

It looks like we have a few too many $5s and not quite enough $2s and $3s, but are otherwise pretty close to the overall distribution!

Honestly, I think cards in the $5 range are simply more fun to design :) IMO, if we need more cards matching a specific constraint, including price, rinkworks can always do a round specifically requesting it.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 02:20:12 am by zahlman »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 30, 2012, 09:12:02 pm »

Honestly, I think cards in the $5 range are simply more fun to design :) IMO, if we need more cards matching a specific constraint, including price, rinkworks can always do a round specifically requesting it.

Or we can influence through voting.  I'm going to be more stingy on expensive cards, more lenient on cheaper ones.  Also will favour virtual coin, +Buy and terminals, I think.

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 30, 2012, 09:53:36 pm »

Or we can influence through voting.  I'm going to be more stingy on expensive cards, more lenient on cheaper ones.  Also will favour virtual coin, +Buy and terminals, I think.

I personally think vote for the best card... otherwise what is the point?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 30, 2012, 09:59:29 pm »

I personally think vote for the best card... otherwise what is the point?

Sure, but what does "best" mean?  I think it should include how it fits with the set so far.  That's just me though, and I didn't say I would not vote for expensive cards at all.  I'm just less likely to. :)

Schneau

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #120 on: August 30, 2012, 10:01:34 pm »

eHalcyon's Vote For Challenge #14
$2 - Action
For every eHalcyon's Vote For Challenge #14 you have in play, +1 Buy and +$1.

Hey, that actually isn't the worst card idea ever. Bad, but not the worst.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 10:02:48 pm by Schneau »

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 30, 2012, 10:01:51 pm »

well panacea was the goddess of remedies I think she looked something like this, or perhaps some sort of herbs or sniffing salts, something medical that folks would have used way back when.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 10:03:32 pm by yuma »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 30, 2012, 10:32:19 pm »

$2 - Action

Not sure if the benefit is worth the effort to get multiples of these in play. :P

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 30, 2012, 10:33:21 pm »

well panacea was the goddess of remedies I think she looked something like this, or perhaps some sort of herbs or sniffing salts, something medical that folks would have used way back when.

The name is more a reference to the latter, but that first image might be good.  I am too lazy to ask for permission for not-my-card though. ;)

zahlman

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 31, 2012, 01:31:07 am »

$2 - Action

Not sure if the benefit is worth the effort to get multiples of these in play. :P

I'd buy the hell out of this on a City board.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 20 queries.