Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Playtesting: Herald (Challenge #3)  (Read 1655 times)

Dubdubdubdub

• Golem
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
Playtesting: Herald (Challenge #3)
« on: July 19, 2012, 12:02:11 pm »

shark bait's Herald was one of the 3 tied winners of the third Challenge.

Herald
$4 - Victory
2 VP
--
When you buy this, place a card that is in play on top of your deck.

Challenge #3 - Victory Card

Objective: Design a Victory card.  The card cannot be a dual-type card -- that is, its one and only type must be "Victory."
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 12:24:11 pm by Dubdubdubdub »

Dubdubdubdub

• Golem
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
Re: Playtesting: Herald (Challenge #3)
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 12:24:25 pm »

I tested Herald yesterday, in three games. It's a mild card that doesn't really stand out, and I really liked it.

I don't know much about the first game anymore. I know it had Torturer and Trading Post and Bazaar. I bought a Torturer with my first $6, my opponent started of with Trading Post (and a bit early shuffle luck) and wasted me. I bought a very early Herald to top-deck my Torturer after the first play. Now, if this had been a Witch or something, that might've been worth it. A single torturer didn't wreck his deck half as much as the Herald did mine. A typical case of 'ooh new card'. :)

Game 2. Cards I remember: Lighthouse, Masquerade, Herald, City, Highway, Rabble, Goons, Forge, Platinum, Colony.
Somehow, with all quite some drawing power here, we didn't get our engines going. I bought 1 Rabble, my opponent none. Not sure how that happened - it also means we never really used Forge effectively. We never even got 2 Goons together until the very last turn.
Anyway, that means we didn't have much buys to spare. I was totally planning on top-decking some Platinums, but there usually were some better choices around. We really liked playing around with it though. In this game, my opponent started with the first Herald and I won. Starting to see a pattern? You might be wrong.

Game 3. I actually remember all cards: Fool's Gold, Native Village, University, Herald, Bishop, Mandarin, Embassy, Saboteur, Laboratory, Fairgrounds.
I started off with Potion to go for Embassies - mistake; with no +Buys, it was never worth it. My opponent got big into Bishops, supported by Laboratories. Several times, he trashed a Herald for 3VP and bought a Herald, to top-deck his Bishop. If he had much more to spend, of course he would buy other stuff, but this trick really worked. It's like a temporary baby Golden Deck. He got a huge lead, but started to stall because he never really built something up. I got a nice comeback using 6VP Fairgrounds, but it wasn't enough.

All-in-all: not a powerhouse, but a very nice card. Would work fine at $3 on most boards, I think, but $4 was not a problem and a bit less risky.

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
Re: Playtesting: Herald (Challenge #3)
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 01:12:54 pm »
+2

I tested this one in a solo game.  It's interesting to hear how you used it, because my own strategy with it was entirely different:  I bought this as a consolation prize when I couldn't get a Province.  You can start buying them earlier than Duchies, because what they do is let you rescue the Gold out of a Gold-Copper-Green-Green-Green hand and increase the likelihood that NEXT turn you'll get the Province you really wanted after all.

It's a fun card, despite that I was treating it as a consolation prize, and makes a nice counterpoint to Island, also a $4 2-VP victory card.  But you want Islands early and Heralds late, so the pairing works out.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 20 queries.