Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: is bureaucrat underestimate?  (Read 11196 times)

Lionel

• Herbalist
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
is bureaucrat underestimate?
« on: July 22, 2011, 12:28:10 pm »

I checked some statistics of the best dominion player on isotropic, tat, and i noticed that in the column "win rate with" the best card is bureaucrat.
I used to consider bureaucrat as a bad card, is there something i missed?

here is my source :
http://councilroom.com/popular_buys?player=tat

Dark Force

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
Re: is bureaucrat underestimate?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 12:40:05 pm »

Looks like he's only bought it about 3 times in his life, out of the 1000+ games he's played.  With that small a sample size, there's bound to be a large variance, it doesn't mean bureaucrat is good.

Compare that with his win rate for Minion, a card that he buys >4 of each time it's available.  Now there's a good card!

guided

• Jester
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 01:32:09 pm »

Bureaucrat is a good (though usually not great) card for decks that don't depend on big action chains. I've made it the only action card in my deck on several occasions.

People underrate the card simply because it can be difficult to recognize boards where it's strong. I'm guilty of underbuying it, myself.

fp

• Thief
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 03:31:22 pm »

Bureaucrat is a good (though usually not great) card for decks that don't depend on big action chains. I've made it the only action card in my deck on several occasions.

People underrate the card simply because it can be difficult to recognize boards where it's strong. I'm guilty of underbuying it, myself.

+1

I would say that Bureaucrat is probably the absolute hardest card in the game to gauge. The presence or absence of a specific card on the board is enough to change it from a winner to a loser.

I would also say that Bureaucrat is almost always a net negative in a Colony game.

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 03:38:23 pm »

I can see Bureaucrat working well in Province sets where the dominant strategy is going to be BM, because Silver is usually a good card in that context and Bureaucrat will allow you to gain a critical mass of Silver faster. I can also see it being stronger against Gardens/Duke strategies because seeing Victory cards twice will slow down your opponent's deck.

Does fast trashing help or hurt Bureaucrat? On the one hand it allows you to Chapel away your copper with impunity because you don't need to buy Silver; on the other hand your opponent will probably get rid of their Estates so it won't slow them down as much. I don't know how B turns out in that scenario.

What are some of the other factors that make Bureaucrat more or less useful?

Agrisios

• Chancellor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 03:49:11 pm »

What are some of the other factors that make Bureaucrat more or less useful?

It has a nice effect with philosopher's stone and duke. You can buy the duchies first. When opponent joins the duchy race you can still buy provinces later:
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20110704-142351-ae6a5dc7.html

But this is very specific.

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 04:04:46 pm »

It has a nice effect with philosopher's stone and duke.

I read the game log, but I'm still confused at how this worked. In a set with minimal draw/cycling, you seem to be really dependent on luck to a) have the Potion show up so you can buy Stones, and b) have the Stone with enough other money to buy Provinces. I see how the Bureaucrat helps you grow your deck faster and increase your average buying power, but your primary buying power is coming from the Stone, and using the B slows down the frequency with which you can get to your Potion or your Stones. Am I missing something?

Agrisios

• Chancellor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 04:20:52 pm »

You get many Silvers. Therefore 3+P or 5 for the Duchy/Duke shouldn't be a problem.

Primary goal in Stone decks is the fat deck. You can't play bold stones and chains at the same time. So raw drawing power like Smithy doesn't help much. Of course a Warehouse, Cellar, Chancellor or Navigator would be nice addition, but you can't have them all. You play it out like a garden deck.

In this particular game both players were already full of green cards (4 Duchies/4 Dukes each). It doesn't matter than that I can't buy provinces every turn, but only every second or third. The chances for the opponent to get a province are much smaller. Plus I can buy estates in the turns between still increasing buying power. The last stone could therefore already buy a province allone.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 04:32:31 pm »

I can't help but wonder if it wouldn't have been even more effective to skip the Phil Stones entirely.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 05:12:54 pm »

I've won a game with little more than bureaucrats and philosopher stones, but it wasn't convincing.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 07:24:58 pm »

Every card has its day.  B-Crat is one of those that just has fewer days than say.... mountebank.  There's an old strat article over on BGG about B-Crat being better than Chapel in heads up play.  I think someone countered with some simulation results and said "wrong".

I generally only buy B-crats on a final buy where I want to mess with rrenaud's win%s.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 08:51:16 pm »

I generally only buy B-crats on a final buy where I want to mess with rrenaud's win%s.
I buy B-Crat fairly often. But as for messing with win %s... I go with copper.

Silverback

• Steward
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2011, 11:14:15 am »

Sure, Bureaucrat is one of the weaker cards.

So what does it do?
1. The Attack: If it hits, your opponent has effectively only 4 cards in two consecutive turns. This might slow down his trashing. One less card also means a smaller chance to hit double Minion or to activate Conspirators.
2. The Gain-Silver-Ability: You use up your Action to gain a Silver. There are better ways to spend your one free action. However this means, that you don't have to buy that Silver. You can spend your money on something else.
Then it even puts the Silver on your draw pile. You can use it in your next turn. You don't have to wait until your next reshuffle.
Then it also spams your deck with useful, but somewhat mediocre cards (Silver). Sometimes this is good (Gardens, Dukes). Most of the time it isn't.

So I would say, that Bureaucrat is weak, but it's not as weak as people think.

guided

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2011, 12:58:50 pm »

Most of the time it isn't.
It only isn't good if it breaks up your draw engine, or (much of the time) if it's a Colony game.

If you will consent to give me any number of silvers I might care to name on, say, turn 5, I will happily name an extremely large number.

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2011, 05:28:35 pm »

Bureaucrat is not the worst card around, but it's probably hanging around the edge of the bottom 10 overall.  There are two big problems with Bureaucrat:

a) $2 virtual money (which is what most comparable attacks give- and this attack is one of the weakest) is a lot more flexible than Silver.  A Silver-based deck can buy lots of Duchies and Dukes, it can even get a few Provinces, but it basically precludes you from action chains.  And it can't even get Provinces if hand-reduction attacks are around.
b) It gives you no benefit whatsoever this turn- and you're not going to draw that Silver because you can't really action chain in a B-crat deck.  Sure, on the deck is better than in the discard, but nothing this turn hurts, and the next-turn benefit is not actually that good- the Silver takes a spot in your hand, it's not a duration like Caravan or Merchant Ship, where you get the benefit (here, the silver) in addition to your regular hand.   

That being said, I do love Bureaucrat when Dukes are around.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 02:04:24 pm by chwhite »
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2011, 11:23:37 am »

It only isn't good if it breaks up your draw engine, or (much of the time) if it's a Colony game.

If you will consent to give me any number of silvers I might care to name on, say, turn 5, I will happily name an extremely large number.

I would love to see a graph of win probability based on # of extra silvers added to your deck at the start of the game..  For sure, if # of silvers was say: 100, your WP is 100%, because you'll just buy nothing but provinces and duchies for the rest of the game - never reshuffling.

And for sure, 1 or 2 silvers would be better than not having them them.

I just have a suspicion that there is some point in there where it isn't a positive thing by bloating your deck, or at least a local minimum. If I was to guess, I would expect it to be in the 5-10 range, where it puts your deck into a situation where it can't reliably buy a province, but it also takes forever to get whatever good cards you want into your deck  (10 silvers would mean that you can't draw your first buy until turn 5.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2011, 11:30:08 am »

I would love to see a graph of win probability based on # of extra silvers added to your deck at the start of the game..  For sure, if # of silvers was say: 100, your WP is 100%, because you'll just buy nothing but provinces and duchies for the rest of the game - never reshuffling.

And for sure, 1 or 2 silvers would be better than not having them them.

I just have a suspicion that there is some point in there where it isn't a positive thing by bloating your deck, or at least a local minimum. If I was to guess, I would expect it to be in the 5-10 range, where it puts your deck into a situation where it can't reliably buy a province, but it also takes forever to get whatever good cards you want into your deck  (10 silvers would mean that you can't draw your first buy until turn 5.
I think in a big money game, no colonies, you always want more silvers. You only need 4 to buy a province. Once you start throwing in some key actions, you start not wanting them so much, but if you could really pump the silvers in, it would be really good. For instance, what's the number X such that if bureaucrat gave X silvers instead of one, it would be dominant? I'm quite sure it's well less than 2.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2011, 07:14:28 pm »

I don't think anyone has mentioned the number of players yet. In a 4-player bureaucrat game there's the chance that the same estate goes back onto your deck every turn as different opponents play their bureaucrats. I haven't played bureaucrat 4-player for a long time but I seem to remember that it was quite different from two player.

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
  • First to 5000 Isotropic wins
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2011, 08:51:51 pm »

My main issue with this card is that it is basically -1 action -1 card and does not improve your hand.  I recall having used it with success against a couple of top players by rushing treasure when it became immediately obvious that they were planning an engine that would take awhile to get off the ground.  By the time they were firing the game was effectively over.

Not nearly as good as bmu/masq or bmu/envoy but I do think when my opponents saw me open bureaucrat they decided I must be a poor player and they could afford to take the time to make a beast of an engine.
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>
<b>IsoDom1 Winner:  shark_bait
IsoDom2 Winner: Rabid
Isodom3 Winner: Fabian</b>
Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatári, Utúlie'n auré!

guided

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2011, 09:17:55 pm »

Not nearly as good as bmu/masq
I actually rather doubt this.

I won't argue with you on Envoy.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2011, 11:20:25 pm »

guided, is that a matchup thing? 'cause BMU/masq generally beats BMU/envoy. And actually, I'd think it has a better matchup, too...

guided

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2011, 06:57:49 am »

I've never seen simulation results for BMU/Masquerade. Maybe it's stronger than I think it is?

Masquerade's not a card I imagine being all that great in a single-action deck. Without having studied the situation, I feel like I'd rather have a Smithy.

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
  • First to 5000 Isotropic wins
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2011, 08:13:53 am »

It is actually very good; yes, it effectively draws two less cards but each use improves future hands.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 08:18:27 am by Mean Mr Mustard »
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>
<b>IsoDom1 Winner:  shark_bait
IsoDom2 Winner: Rabid
Isodom3 Winner: Fabian</b>
Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatári, Utúlie'n auré!

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2011, 08:17:49 am »

BM/Masquerade will beat BM/Smithy 53-42. It's even better than the mother of all Big money decks: it beats BM/Envoy 49-46.

Try it yourself (just some small modifications to the _Single Masquerade):
Code: [Select]
<player name="BM - Masquerade">
   <buy name="Province">
      <condition>
         <left type="countCardsInDeck" attribute="Gold"/>
         <operator type="greaterThan" />
         <right type="constant" attribute="0.0"/>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Duchy">
      <condition>
         <left type="countCardsInSupply" attribute="Province"/>
         <operator type="smallerOrEqualThan" />
         <right type="constant" attribute="4.0"/>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Estate">
      <condition>
         <left type="countCardsInSupply" attribute="Province"/>
         <operator type="smallerOrEqualThan" />
         <right type="constant" attribute="2.0"/>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Gold"/>
   <buy name="Masquerade">
      <condition>
         <left type="countCardsInDeck" attribute="Masquerade"/>
         <operator type="smallerThan" />
         <right type="constant" attribute="1.0"/>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Silver"/>
</player>

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2011, 08:24:07 am »

It is actually very good; yes, it effectively draws two less cards but each use improves future hands.

What it also surprisingly good is BM-Courtyard. Does not beat Envoy though, but Smithy by a small margin
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.