Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Author Topic: 7 – 4 + 3 x 0 + 1 = ?  (Read 98324 times)

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4385
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
Re: 7 – 4 + 3 x 0 + 1 = ?
« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2012, 08:42:31 pm »
+7

"While visiting New York, I met rrenaud, a former circus clown, and my favorite purveyor of fine illicit substances."

"While visiting New York, I met rrenaud, a former circus clown and my favorite purveyor of fine illicit substances."

How many people did you meet?
One - the other people were on their way BACK from St. Ives!
What do I win?

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 17, 2012, 05:30:41 pm »

Order of operations seems like such a silly thing.  It isn't a property intrinsic to the number system, but just a set of rules for interpreting our chosen method of expressing numbers and operations.  There's no particular reason multiplication has to come before addition, just convention.
It's a convention, but it's the only convention that makes sense. Any convention should be able to write polynomials without parentheses: 2x^3 - x^2 + 1. To do this, you need exponentiation to happen first, then multiplication, then (from left to right) addition and subtraction.

Valid nitpick: this doesn't say anything about division. Nobody really uses the division symbol "÷" in mathematics (instead using fractions), so that's okay. Programmers use a division operator (usually "/"), but programmers are accustomed to memorizing arbitrary conventions, so that's also okay.

Invalid nitpick: what about writing factored polynomials? Like (x - 2)(3x - 1)(x^2 + 4). That requires a lot of parentheses. But the factorization of a polynomial is not a good way to represent it, because it's difficult to add them together. This form is less important.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 18, 2012, 01:52:31 am »

Invalid nitpick: what about writing factored polynomials? Like (x - 2)(3x - 1)(x^2 + 4). That requires a lot of parentheses. But the factorization of a polynomial is not a good way to represent it, because it's difficult to add them together. This form is less important.

I'm definitely don't want to change the order of operation, but I'm not sure if that is true? How often do you want to add polynomials? Btw it is a good representation to multiply them. And, probably more important, to find its zeros. On the other hand, it's more difficult to differentiate/integrate (Because you would have to add factored polynomials. OK, here we go...).  But it's easier to start factorized and transform into standard than the other way round. Especially for degree >4.
So this form contains more information (for suitable definition of "information").

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 18, 2012, 02:25:27 am »
+1

It's a convention, but it's the only convention that makes sense. Any convention should be able to write polynomials without parentheses: 2x^3 - x^2 + 1. To do this, you need exponentiation to happen first, then multiplication, then (from left to right) addition and subtraction.

And of course, tetration should precede exponentiation, but I suppose that's a discussion for a different thread.

But the factorization of a polynomial is not a good way to represent it, because it's difficult to add them together. This form is less important.

I disagree that it's less important (finding zeroes), but since the form is written, as a standard, with parentheses, it doesn't worry about order of operations.

Short version:  Standard order of operations is good.  Using them to do arithmetic can be annoying, but properly using parentheses (or RPN if you must) makes things simpler.  Creating a gotcha "puzzle" like this with no parentheses just to mess with people's minds is just plain annoying and tantamount to trolling.

Friends don't let friends abuse mathematical conventions for cheap laughs at the expense of someone who doesn't remember conventions that don't matter if you write the math out properly.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

toaster

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 18, 2012, 05:24:33 am »
+1

Favorite Oxford comma example:

At the party I danced with the strippers, JFK, and Stalin.

vs.

At the party I danced with the strippers, JFK and Stalin.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 18, 2012, 05:52:16 pm »

I'm definitely don't want to change the order of operation, but I'm not sure if that is true? How often do you want to add polynomials? Btw it is a good representation to multiply them. And, probably more important, to find its zeros. On the other hand, it's more difficult to differentiate/integrate (Because you would have to add factored polynomials. OK, here we go...).  But it's easier to start factorized and transform into standard than the other way round. Especially for degree >4.
So this form contains more information (for suitable definition of "information").
Adding polynomials is common. For example, off the top of my head, for defining finite fields (which are used for tons of things, such as cryptography). Even doing polynomial division needs polynomial addition.

Maybe I just should have written "less fundamental" instead of "less important". It's simple to define addition and multiplication algorithms for standard form polynomials, and a polynomial you get in any form can (usually) be easily put into standard form.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 18, 2012, 05:55:36 pm »
+2

7 - 4 + 3 * 2, 4, and 6?
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 18, 2012, 09:11:56 pm »

vs.

Borderline NSFW

http://www.verbicidemagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Oxford-Comma.jpg

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 18, 2012, 11:42:37 pm »
+1

vs.

At the party I danced with the stripper, JFK, and Stalin.

vs.

At the party I danced with the stripper, JFK and Stalin.

DStu

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 19, 2012, 01:30:35 am »

Even doing polynomial division needs polynomial addition.

Not if you write it in factored form...

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 19, 2012, 02:40:28 am »

I might be missing something, but if there's a remainder, I don't think the factorization will help.

DStu

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 19, 2012, 03:48:41 am »

I might be missing something, but if there's a remainder, I don't think the factorization will help.
I think in this case we must first specify in which form we want to write polynomials with remainder, but enough of that now...

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 27, 2013, 07:15:18 pm »

You guys have an acronym for resolving operations in algebra ? Crazy.

And did I seriously read someone suggesting Fahrenheit was better than Celsius ? That's funny.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 27, 2013, 07:33:34 pm »
+3

Pffff, the metric system only makes sense to humans. Water? Who cares about water? Earthlings, that's who. Everything is in base 10*? Why, because you happened to evolve 10 wiggly appendages for some reason? How arbitrary.

*Yes, I know that every base is base 10 in its own base, so don't even go there pal! :P
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 27, 2013, 08:27:55 pm »

Pffff, the metric system only makes sense to humans. Water? Who cares about water? Earthlings, that's who. Everything is in base 10*? Why, because you happened to evolve 10 wiggly appendages for some reason? How arbitrary.
Um every base is base 10 in its own base.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 27, 2013, 08:51:18 pm »

Did this thread really need to get bumped?
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 27, 2013, 09:14:59 pm »

Sure, why not? People talk about things.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 27, 2013, 09:33:05 pm »

Sure, why not? People talk about things.

Ehh. I just feel like there's nothing really to discuss that wasn't discussed when the thread was first up.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 27, 2013, 10:30:31 pm »
+4

And did I seriously read someone suggesting Fahrenheit was better than Celsius ? That's funny.

Fahrenheit is awesome! "Rate on a scale of 0 to 100 how hot or cold the weather is, where 0 is 'really cold weather' and 100 is 'really hot weather'"!

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 28, 2013, 06:13:51 am »

Huh, I don't know why I stumbled upon this thread, I didn't realize it was a few months old. I must have seen someone reading it in the "Who's online" and the title intrigued me. Sorry !
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #95 on: November 28, 2013, 06:25:10 am »
+1

Huh, I don't know why I stumbled upon this thread, I didn't realize it was a few months old.
It was from 2012, it's more than just a few months old.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 28, 2013, 09:11:13 am »

Thread necromancy at work.
A man has no signature

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #97 on: November 28, 2013, 01:58:20 pm »
+4

Vi Hart already killed this kind of thing.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 28, 2013, 04:21:19 pm »
+2

One of the benefits of the metric system -- versus the imperial system -- is that you have fewer conversions.  Rather than having inches, feet, miles, furlongs, rods, hectares, acres, gallons, fluid ounces, teaspoons, and so forth you have meters.  Then you can have centimeters, kilometers, square meters, cubic centimeters etc., but you can convert amongst them trivially.

The temperature scale didn't have that issue.  These days, the main advantage of the Celsius scale is its near universal ubiquity (which is a significant advantage, by the way!).
Well you *do* need a signature...

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4385
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #99 on: January 28, 2014, 06:50:06 pm »

One of the benefits of the metric system -- versus the imperial system -- is that you have fewer conversions.  Rather than having inches, feet, miles, furlongs, rods, hectares, acres, gallons, fluid ounces, teaspoons, and so forth you have meters.  Then you can have centimeters, kilometers, square meters, cubic centimeters etc., but you can convert amongst them trivially.
Well, YOU can, because you're very comfortable with using base 10. But the appendage comment enough points out this is a peculiarity to members of our species, rooted in cultures which use mathematical systems which eventually owe something back to the fact that a recessive trait is near-ubiquitous.

Yes, polydactylism is dominant.

The temperature scale didn't have that issue.  These days, the main advantage of the Celsius scale is its near universal ubiquity (which is a significant advantage, by the way!).
Well, except that your grams, metres, and litres aren't entirely arbitrary in their definitions. I mean, one of them is, but the others are based on having water having a density of 1 and handy conversions between the units (1 ml = 1 cm^3) under "standard atmospheric Earth conditions" (another way that the system is Earth-centric). Celsius scale has this advantage as well - 0 and 100 are special for water in such conditions. Actually, it's somewhat strange to my mind that the figures work out on round degrees in Fahrenheit. Probably if I looked a bit more into the history, I'd find that there is a reason for this (like it got rounded or changed at some point).

And yes, this is another thread ne-ne-ne-ne-necro.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.