Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All

Author Topic: The Best Dominion Cards List 2012 Ed.2: $4 cards  (Read 74905 times)

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
Re: The Best Dominion Cards List 2012 Ed.2: $4 cards - Part 3/3 posted
« Reply #150 on: July 25, 2012, 04:31:23 pm »

First, I don't like to open salvager because Salvager-4xcopper is even more frustrating than Baron-4xcopper.
Second, you really don't want to trash your action cards, and salvager is very bad in big money games (because, it collides with the terminal drawer, and trashing silver is very bad, you have 3$ for two cards...).
Finally, salvager accelerate the game in the same way as remodel, so why salvager should be much better than remodel ?

I know sometimes salvager is great, but not as great as bridge, bishop, caravan, militia, baron etc... In any case, salvager is far from the top 10 for me...

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 25, 2012, 04:31:43 pm »

See, I don't think Caravan is that awesome as a cantrip. This turn, it does nothing. Peddler (which honestly you'll never buy for more than $4 anyway) is almost always superior, Tournament is just a notch below Peddler qua cantrip, and Oasis is going to be better most of the time. It's true that Caravan is a delayed Lab, but you can't make Caravan chains like you can with Lab chains because the Caravan you draw into your second turn doesn't stack as a Lab (it's effect is delayed until turn 3).

Caravan is good at smoothing out a deck's draws, but it doesn't create explosive hands like Lab. But trashing also smooths out a deck's draws. Caravan has a much larger opportunity cost than a trasher like Remake or Chapel because you have to buy multiples, whereas your trasher only requires one buy.

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 25, 2012, 04:39:27 pm »

See, I don't think Caravan is that awesome as a cantrip. This turn, it does nothing. Peddler (which honestly you'll never buy for more than $4 anyway) is almost always superior, Tournament is just a notch below Peddler qua cantrip, and Oasis is going to be better most of the time. It's true that Caravan is a delayed Lab, but you can't make Caravan chains like you can with Lab chains because the Caravan you draw into your second turn doesn't stack as a Lab (it's effect is delayed until turn 3).

Caravan is good at smoothing out a deck's draws, but it doesn't create explosive hands like Lab. But trashing also smooths out a deck's draws. Caravan has a much larger opportunity cost than a trasher like Remake or Chapel because you have to buy multiples, whereas your trasher only requires one buy.

Peddler is certainly not better than Caravan.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 25, 2012, 04:48:42 pm »
+2

I'm surprised by the high ranks for Caravan. It's never a card that will actively hurt your deck, but usually it doesn't do a ton to make your deck stronger. Unless you've got an Ironworks/Workshop/Talisman thing going on, Caravan is often a trap. What am I missing?

Caravan is one of the top cards that correlate to shorter game lengths according to CR stats.

First, I don't like to open salvager because Salvager-4xcopper is even more frustrating than Baron-4xcopper.

No it's not. They're both really bad, sure, but you still get to trash a card with Salvager-4C whereas you can't do anything at all with Baron-4C. Second, if you draw Salvager-Silver-3C, you can trash the Silver for a Gold, which is not as good as trashing an Estate, obviously, but the worst case scenario here is better than with Baron.

Second, you really don't want to trash your action cards, and salvager is very bad in big money games (because, it collides with the terminal drawer, and trashing silver is very bad, you have 3$ for two cards...).

So you don't open with Salvager in a BM game; you open with either your payload action or with Silver/Silver hoping to get that payload action, then pick up a Salvager in the endgame. If they collide, you trash your payload action for $3-$5 and hopefully get that Province or Duchy-Estate out of it.

Finally, salvager accelerate the game in the same way as remodel, so why salvager should be much better than remodel ?

Because Remodel is inflexible and doesn't accelerate the same way that Salvager does.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 04:50:19 pm by dondon151 »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 20 queries.