Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Lumber Mill -- a self-comboing Woodcutter  (Read 3755 times)

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +490
    • View Profile
Lumber Mill -- a self-comboing Woodcutter
« on: July 15, 2012, 06:59:52 pm »

I had this idea in the shower this morning, so I'm posting before I talk myself out of it.

Lumber Mill
$4 - Action
+$1 for every Lumber Mill you have already played this turn.
Choose 1: +1 Card +1 Action; or +$2 +1 Buy.

The Cantrip effect is a consolation prize; $4 is very expensive for an effect that's hard to make as good as Peddler. But if you manage to draw a few with some Villages, the cash can stack up, and the Buys help you make use of it.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Lumber Mill -- a self-comboing Woodcutter
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 07:07:39 pm »

Change the choice to "+$1, +1 Buy" and add "(including this one)" to the chaining portion, because that's how other things already work (Bank).

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 09:15:02 pm »
+1

I don't think it's supposed to have "(including this one)". If it had that, 3 Lumber Mills = 3 activated Conspirators.

It feels kinda strong, and it's worth noting that AFAIK 1-card engines are all cards with cost $5 or higher. It starts up slow, and without Villages you get 2 buys per turn, but if you can manage 5 plays a turn you're pretty much set. Needs support, but questionably strong with support and not totally useless without.

I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 09:55:00 pm »

I don't think it's supposed to have "(including this one)". If it had that, 3 Lumber Mills = 3 activated Conspirators.

It feels kinda strong, and it's worth noting that AFAIK 1-card engines are all cards with cost $5 or higher. It starts up slow, and without Villages you get 2 buys per turn, but if you can manage 5 plays a turn you're pretty much set. Needs support, but questionably strong with support and not totally useless without.

If you can manage 5 plays a turn, you deserve to be set; that's the lofty goal that it will take a _lot_ of action bonuses/handsize increase to reach. It's awesome with Tactician, but what isn't?

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 09:57:08 pm »
+1

Change the choice to "+$1, +1 Buy" and add "(including this one)" to the chaining portion, because that's how other things already work (Bank).

This makes the card better (probably too good) because as written, if you play the first one as a cantrip it's just +1C +1A; with the change, the bare cantrip is +1C +1A +$1.

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 11:05:30 pm »

Spice Merchant gives you $2 on that option, but then it also gives you 2 cards on the cards/actions option.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 11:30:59 pm »

I like it somewhat, but I can't think of another card that is "for each copy of this card" as opposed to Bank/Peddler that are any coin/action/etc.  I guess the exception would be Duke, but it's special in its own way.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 11:55:47 pm »

I like it somewhat, but I can't think of another card that is "for each copy of this card" as opposed to Bank/Peddler that are any coin/action/etc.  I guess the exception would be Duke, but it's special in its own way.

Fool's Gold is pretty close--it's doesn't count copies, but it checks for the presence of another copy of the same card.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 01:53:54 am »

Oops, you're right.  I didn't think that one through.

In that case, I think the wording could be made more clear, because "already played" could be interpreted as meaning the card that was just played.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 04:39:12 am »
+1

I think, compareed to Conspirator, it seems to strong. If you just have one, this one is at least +2$+buy, Consp is $2. If you have two, This two of them are +1action+1card+$3+buy, Conspirator are $2. If you have two+Village, this one is +5$+2buy, Conspirator, is +1card+1action+$2.  If you have three, Conspirator is $2, this one is +2action+2card+$5+buy.

It's better in the beginning, it scales better (because it's quadratic vs. linear), it gives you options to handle extra actions from villages. With activating Cantrips maybe there is a small region where Conspirators are better, but still there is the +buy, and the options, and the fact that it really scales better. 4 activated Conspirators are +8$+4card+4action, 4 of these are +$8+3card+3action+buy, without the risk of not being activated.

Maybe just give the payoff "+$1 for every Lumber Mill you have already played this turn" only to the Woodcutter option? In this case it would scale linearly in the number of Lumber Mills if you only have one action, and it's a little weaker in the beginning. Like it's now it almost scales like Bridge or Highway, without the problem of Bridge of playing a lot of it without Villages, and with a guaranteed +buy compared to Highway. And without the need to split the money you earned on multiple buys to get the full payoff.

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 07:55:56 am »

I think, compareed to Conspirator, it seems to strong. If you just have one, this one is at least +2$+buy, Consp is $2. If you have two, This two of them are +1action+1card+$3+buy, Conspirator are $2. If you have two+Village, this one is +5$+2buy, Conspirator, is +1card+1action+$2.  If you have three, Conspirator is $2, this one is +2action+2card+$5+buy.

It's better in the beginning, it scales better (because it's quadratic vs. linear), it gives you options to handle extra actions from villages. With activating Cantrips maybe there is a small region where Conspirators are better, but still there is the +buy, and the options, and the fact that it really scales better. 4 activated Conspirators are +8$+4card+4action, 4 of these are +$8+3card+3action+buy, without the risk of not being activated.

Maybe just give the payoff "+$1 for every Lumber Mill you have already played this turn" only to the Woodcutter option? In this case it would scale linearly in the number of Lumber Mills if you only have one action, and it's a little weaker in the beginning. Like it's now it almost scales like Bridge or Highway, without the problem of Bridge of playing a lot of it without Villages, and with a guaranteed +buy compared to Highway. And without the need to split the money you earned on multiple buys to get the full payoff.

Your point about the relative strength vs. Conspirator is well-taken and you're probably right, but in the first paragraph: Village + 2 Conspirators is +1C +1A +$4, and 3x Lumber Mill is only +2C +2A +$4.

In my mind, I was comparing it to Tournament where 3x gives +3C +3A +$3. Now Tournament is a dynamite card, but more because of the prizes than the Peddler effect. On the other hand, Lumber Mill would be much, much better late game that Tournament, which can really suck if it starts fizzling.

nopawnsintended

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +186
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 11:34:51 am »

In my mind, I was comparing it to Tournament where 3x gives +3C +3A +$3. Now Tournament is a dynamite card, but more because of the prizes than the Peddler effect. On the other hand, Lumber Mill would be much, much better late game that Tournament, which can really suck if it starts fizzling.

Not to mention that Tournament gets blocked more regularly in the late game.  The card is interesting, but maybe a little easier to "activate" than Conspirator.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 20 queries.