Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Combos/Counters Article list  (Read 53833 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9624
    • View Profile
Re: Combos/Counters Article list
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2013, 02:38:57 pm »

I remember a game against ehunt I think in the DSC where I played Hoard/Gardens/Royal Seal.  It was extremely powerful and to this day the only time that I have achieved the Bominator CR achievement.

Bominator?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2013, 02:45:01 pm »

Buy Only Money and Victory cards and Win.  Essentially playing BM-Ultimate that allows for Kingdom Treasure cards to be purchased.  It's extremely hard to do and actually win.  Because so often regardless of the Kingdom there will be some action card that will be obtained.  It's rare when there are no action cards worth obtaining over pure Treasure.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

zporiri

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: zporiri
  • Go, and do likewise.
  • Respect: +130
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2013, 02:49:57 pm »

I remember a game against ehunt I think in the DSC where I played Hoard/Gardens/Royal Seal.  It was extremely powerful and to this day the only time that I have achieved the Bominator CR achievement.

Bominator?

I think bombinator was buying only treasure and victory cards, but i might be wrong
Go, and do likewise.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2013, 05:17:07 pm »

Buy Only Money and Victory cards and Win.  Essentially playing BM-Ultimate that allows for Kingdom Treasure cards to be purchased.  It's extremely hard to do and actually win.  Because so often regardless of the Kingdom there will be some action card that will be obtained.  It's rare when there are no action cards worth obtaining over pure Treasure.
The only time I remember getting it is when I got nearly ideal shuffle luck, there were no interesting kingdom cards sub-$5, and I never hit exactly $5. Turns out that BMU can be super-fast with ideal shuffle luck.

redwings1340

• Pawn
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2014, 07:55:58 pm »
+11

Mint/Stonemason. Seriously, I just played with this opening, and I think it's right up there as one of the best openings in the game. On turn 3/4 you can use your stonemason on your mint, trash 5 coppers before your first reshuffle, while sacrificing none of your economy in the process (worst case scenario you trade those coppers in for 2 silvers).

In the game I recently played with those two cards, there was also a remake, which made it ridiculously easy (trashed my estates and coppers ridiculously quickly after that), but this is a combo I haven't seen discussed anywhere else, and might be one of the top openings in the game in my opinion.

Graystripe77

• Tactician
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2015, 02:49:19 pm »

How often is this list updated? Also, what's the strict definition of a 'combo' here? I say that because I believe I wrote something on Nomad Camp/Fool's Gold a long time ago, and if that fits the criteria of a combo, it could be listed.

Also, Baron/Crossroads/Stables is definitely a great combo.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2015, 02:51:36 pm »
+16

It's a combo if your post gets >5 people complaining about it not being a combo.

tim17

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +276
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2016, 11:08:58 am »
+2

Not sure if card+event combos belong here, but Vault+Expedition seems at least decent.  Played in the most boring way possible (Buy a Vault, then province on 8, expedition on anything between 3 and 7), I think it gets 4 provinces in around 12 or 13 turns.  Probably it's not actually good because it never builds any sort of economy and might be easy for opponents to counter (especially with Vault's drawback), but in the absence of anything good on the board maybe it's useful?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2016, 11:23:44 am »
+1

Not sure if card+event combos belong here, but Vault+Expedition seems at least decent.  Played in the most boring way possible (Buy a Vault, then province on 8, expedition on anything between 3 and 7), I think it gets 4 provinces in around 12 or 13 turns.  Probably it's not actually good because it never builds any sort of economy and might be easy for opponents to counter (especially with Vault's drawback), but in the absence of anything good on the board maybe it's useful?

This gets wrecked by any sort of handsize attack, but it seems to work in the absence of that sort of thing.  4 Provinces in 12 turns, but I did get a 5/2 open.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12839
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2016, 11:25:22 am »

This gets wrecked by any sort of handsize attack, but it seems to work in the absence of that sort of thing.  4 Provinces in 12 turns, but I did get a 5/2 open.

How fast does it win?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2016, 07:08:22 pm »

Not sure if card+event combos belong here
most of us don't want you to worry about that

welcome to the forum
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5138
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2016, 04:51:58 am »
+1

I simulated this, and apparently it is significantly worse than Vault/BM. Adding a second Vault doesn't help much. So I wouldn't consider this a combo.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2016, 11:07:30 am »
+2

Bominator: http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160427/log.0.1461769097997.txt  ::) 8)
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

tim17

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2016, 11:57:12 am »
+1

I simulated this, and apparently it is significantly worse than Vault/BM. Adding a second Vault doesn't help much. So I wouldn't consider this a combo.

Okay, good to know.  This wouldn't have been any fun to play anyway.

tim17

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2016, 02:56:05 pm »
+1

Haven't gotten too much chance to try them, but other potential adventures combos/synergies that might be decent:

1. Highway + Seaway: This one's pretty straightforward, get a highway, seaway the highways, then get as many highways as possible.  8 highways and you can buy all the provinces.  With good trashing, this might not need much else.

2. Wine Merchant + Distant Lands: This one admittedly might be dubious at best, but the idea of having a deck drawing engine with a few extra actions, and then alternate turns between playing wine merchants to buy distant lands, and playing distant lands, returning the wine merchants to your deck to repeat seems nice to me.

3. Alms + Duplicate + Gardens/Silk Road: A new version of a gardens rush, if you get duplicate on your first two turns, you're netting about 2 cards per turn on average for the rest of the game, and you don't need to buy treasures to keep your economy going.  You can also manage when you call your duplicates to control what you put in your reshuffles if it helps at all.

To me the first one seems actually quite good, not sure so much about the other two.  They're mostly just the result of me trying to find uses for Wine Merchant and Duplicate.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2016, 12:24:59 am »

I've tried Highway/Seaway in a solo game, and it's actually a bit slower than you'd think.  For a rush strategy, it doesn't help that every component costs , so you're left opening Silver/Silver.  It might be feasible if you can open with a trasher or at least a cantrip.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2016, 12:34:40 am »

Highway seaway is good if you win the split. I won two of those games.

tim17

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2016, 11:51:47 am »

I've tried Highway/Seaway in a solo game, and it's actually a bit slower than you'd think.  For a rush strategy, it doesn't help that every component costs , so you're left opening Silver/Silver.  It might be feasible if you can open with a trasher or at least a cantrip.

Yeah, I agree it really only seems good if you have decent trashing.

Same can be said about Wine Merchant/Distant Lands.  On a board with strong trashing, little or no card draw, +actions, and mission, this could net 8 points a turn by getting down to say village x 2, WM x 3, silver, which depending on the components takes roughly 8-9 turns to get there.  Only 6 distinct constraints necessary for this to do moderately better than BM?  Sounds great to me.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2016, 11:53:33 am »

Mission is what distant lands wine merchant really needs.

tim17

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2016, 10:32:10 am »
+1

With regard to duplicate, I think while the gardens rush is viable on some boards occasionally, duplicate + duke actually seems strong.  To illustrate, feast + duke is presumably fairly good, and duplicate seems mostly better than feast for this deck.  When you play a feast, it gives you a duchy/duke that stays in your deck for the rest of the game.  When you play a duplicate, even if you just leave it on your mat for the whole game, it still gives you a duchy/duke on one of your last turns, which is clearly better.  You'd probably also want to use your duplicates early game to get more duplicates or maybe help build your economy.  Not sure exactly how good this is, but I think it at least beats Smithy/BM.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2016, 06:56:58 pm »
+1

Royal Carriage/Bridge

Just played a game with these cards. NV was also there, I wanted to try RC/Bridge.

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2016, 06:21:07 am »
+1

Playing anything counters Scout.
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

gkrieg13

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
  • Respect: +463
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2016, 10:36:27 am »
+14

Playing anything counters Scout.

Except for enchantress on your opponent's scout. Then their scout counters your enchantress

boardgametheories.com

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2019, 09:23:42 am »

Grand Market/Vault is also a nice little combination. Normally Grand Markets are hard to buy due to the no-copper restriction, but you can get around this if you use Vault to discard all your coppers.

I have an article about this on: http://boardgametheories.com/4-dominion-prosperity-combos-every-player-should-know/

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2019, 10:35:10 am »

Yeah, those are good combos.

(Your comments about Talisman are a little off, though. There are loads of Dominion cards costing $4 or less that you want lots of in your deck. Many of them have names containing the string "Village".)
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 20 queries.