Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 57  All

Author Topic: Mafia VII: The Annual Nose-Stealing Competition (GAME OVER: MAFIA WINS!)  (Read 137067 times)

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia VII: The Annual Nose-Stealing Competition (DAY 1 START!)
« Reply #200 on: July 18, 2012, 04:02:52 pm »

Vote Count 1-4

timchen (1): Captain_Frisk
Captain_Frisk (2): timchen, shark_bait
shark_bait (2): pingpongsam, Young Nick

Not Voting {4}: Robz888, Eevee, Galzria, manda2014

With 9 alive, it takes 5 to lynch

Lynch deadline: Saturday, July 28, at 7:30 p.m. forum time

Just tossing out ideas, do we think both scum are voting right now? They probably aren't voting for the same person, if they are both voting.

Maybe 1 scum among the nonvoters? From my perspective, that's Galzria, manda, and Eevee. But even if you throw me in, that's 1 scum out of 4. Much better odds than 2 out of 9.

Are you worse at math than Galz?

1/4 = 25%
2/9 = 22.22% 

A modest improvement, but not "much better" odds.

>:(

Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia VII: The Annual Nose-Stealing Competition (DAY 1 UNDERWAY)
« Reply #201 on: July 18, 2012, 04:13:46 pm »

RobZ - what do you think about Galz not voting yet?  He isn't one to avoid RVS like you are.

I don't know. This game's simplicity compared MIII, MIV, MV, and MVI is jarring, frankly. I am basically at a loss for how to proceed.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 18, 2012, 04:15:29 pm »

RobZ - what do you think about Galz not voting yet?  He isn't one to avoid RVS like you are.

I don't know. This game's simplicity compared MIII, MIV, MV, and MVI is jarring, frankly. I am basically at a loss for how to proceed.

It's a good thing the game was seeded with some experience so there would be a lead to follow. ;)
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 18, 2012, 04:17:24 pm »

It's a good thing the game was seeded with some experience so there would be a lead to follow. ;)

Ha! I like this.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 18, 2012, 04:20:12 pm »

Where is my +1 button?
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 18, 2012, 04:49:11 pm »

Sorry I'm just now getting around to posting. Crazy busy last night and I just got off work. I feel bad that I haven't been posting on here maybe as often as I should. But RL stuff has been a bit crazy the last couple of days. Aaaaanyway... as to not having voted or posted much analysis yet, in all honesty I haven't had a chance to sit down and really do much in depth analysis. Right now my suspicions, as I said before, still rest on Sharky, but I'll post a better analysis and perhaps a vote later tonight after I have a chance to really sit down and look at things. I don't really like to throw out votes at random. As to "stalking" Mafia IV, I promise I'm not anyone's alt account. I know DSell IRL, and he's the one who told me about f.ds and about Mafia and I decided I'd follow his games; nothing sneaky about that.
Okay, I was reading through the stuff and manda's apologetic tone here screams scum to me. In general a townie is doing the best he/she can to help town, where mafia is trying to do the bare minimum (to look like town).. and I read the post below as manda being worried she is starting to look like she isnt helping and apologizing for that in a "i really am trying though!" kind of way. In my experience townies dont feel they owe anything to town, but mafia sort of does (need to do something in order to not show their true colors).

Vote Count 1-4

shark_bait (2): pingpongsam, Young Nick

Not Voting {4}: Robz888, Eevee, Galzria, manda2014

Just tossing out ideas, do we think both scum are voting right now? They probably aren't voting for the same person, if they are both voting.

Maybe 1 scum among the nonvoters? From my perspective, that's Galzria, manda, and Eevee. But even if you throw me in, that's 1 scum out of 4. Much better odds than 2 out of 9.
I think neither of the mafiosos voting atm is super unlikely (so by this logic, in the group of robz, me, galzria and manda2014, there is one mafia or no mafia at all). Wouldnt rule out both voting already, but I too think one voting one not voting is the most likely situation.
I'm starting to feel I always play town too cautious and should be more active as a scumhunter so Vote: manda.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 18, 2012, 04:55:34 pm »

Consider the following regarding the SBD (shark_bait debacle).  Three people know more information than everyone else.  Me... and the Mafia.  Let's assume that these are mutually exclusive (i.e. I'm not Mafia).  Therefore, the 2 Mafia, know that I am NOT Mafia, something that the town doesn't know.  What better guise for the mafia than to not trust me.  By not trusting me, they are donning the appearance of town.  I don't think both would do something like this, but it wouldn't surprise me if one of them took this approach.  There have been 2 people thus far who showed an initial very distrusting stand towards me, PPS and Young Nick.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 18, 2012, 05:00:52 pm »

Is this fuzzy clearing out of the "not voting" bucket to avoid RobZ suspicion?

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 18, 2012, 05:02:34 pm »

Actually, I am! I've been greatly working on not just randomly voting during RVS! Look at D1 for... erm... well, needless to say, I voted after Robz did in a certain other game!

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 18, 2012, 05:19:28 pm »

Vote Count 1-5

shark_bait (1): Young Nick
manda2014 (1): Eevee

Not Voting {4}: Robz888, Galzria, manda2014, pingpongsam

manda2014

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: July 18, 2012, 05:27:04 pm »

In my experience townies dont feel they owe anything to town, but mafia sort of does (need to do something in order to not show their true colors).

The second part of this makes sense. Of course mafia need to look like town if they want to survive. However, while town players don't NEED to actively work to prove themselves to be town (as I've said previously, sometimes a townie may end up having to "take one for the team" to provide the town with some critical info; this isn't an individual game), they DO "owe something to the town." They ARE town. It's their duty to help get rid of the mafia and save the town. So I AM sorry if I've not been as helpful as I could have/should have been.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 18, 2012, 05:30:06 pm »

Consider the following regarding the SBD (shark_bait debacle).  Three people know more information than everyone else.  Me... and the Mafia.  Let's assume that these are mutually exclusive (i.e. I'm not Mafia).  Therefore, the 2 Mafia, know that I am NOT Mafia, something that the town doesn't know.  What better guise for the mafia than to not trust me.  By not trusting me, they are donning the appearance of town.  I don't think both would do something like this, but it wouldn't surprise me if one of them took this approach.  There have been 2 people thus far who showed an initial very distrusting stand towards me, PPS and Young Nick.

Why would you equate a call for scrutiny scumminess? What reasons have you provided for anyone to trust you; shouldn't we all be distrustful of one another? Why do you choose to deflect attention to others rather than answer the concerns already directed towards you?

manda2014

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 18, 2012, 05:33:01 pm »

I don't really see how the mafia looking distrustful of you would make them look like town. They're going to end up voting for someone (most likely), and it seems to me that, generally, the people who start up the wagons get the bulk of the suspicion when that person turns up town.

Young Nick

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 18, 2012, 06:07:03 pm »

So, S_B, should C_F assume one of (or both of) you and timchen are Mafia? Or what happens if three townies each get two votes on them? Then by your logic there should definitely be three Mafia. I understand that when someone votes for you, you want to think that they're Mafia, but the odds are not in your favor in that regard.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 18, 2012, 06:19:30 pm »

I would like to hear more from timchen - what is your read on the game currently?

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 18, 2012, 06:29:01 pm »

I don't really see how the mafia looking distrustful of you would make them look like town. They're going to end up voting for someone (most likely), and it seems to me that, generally, the people who start up the wagons get the bulk of the suspicion when that person turns up town.

A wagon against me has very VERY legitimate claims due to the way that I have posted.  So if they do get a successful lynch on me and if I do turn up town, they base their vote on the nature of my posts thus detracting from the fact that town was lynched.

Why would you equate a call for scrutiny scumminess? What reasons have you provided for anyone to trust you; shouldn't we all be distrustful of one another? Why do you choose to deflect attention to others rather than answer the concerns already directed towards you?

I just wanted to raise a point that assuming I'm town, mafia could act accordingly and start a relatively safe wagon due to the nature of my posts.  To address you assertation of me deflecting attention rather than answering concerns, in complete honesty, I don't have any clue how to address them.  My first few mafia posts here were rather "on the fly" and I didn't think very much.  This was especially true of my vote on Frisk where I read timchen's previous post and within 10 seconds, had thought to myself, "Hey, why not get things started?"  I guess one thing I can say is that currently, you have no reason to trust me whatsoever, but perhaps a lynch on me/cop investigation can make these past few pages be read from my point of view. 

So, S_B, should C_F assume one of (or both of) you and timchen are Mafia? Or what happens if three townies each get two votes on them? Then by your logic there should definitely be three Mafia. I understand that when someone votes for you, you want to think that they're Mafia, but the odds are not in your favor in that regard.

I don't think Frisk should assume that timchen or I am mafia.  It depends on the context of the votes.  i.e.  Scummy vs. Baseless.  I seem scummy, so votes against me were purposeful and directed and not without reason.  Other votes, like the one's on CF are not grounded in fact, thus should not be taken in the same light as the votes placed against me.  Not to say that a mafia wouldn't do something like that.  I just want to point out that I don't think 2 votes on someone automatically equates one of them as being mafia.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

manda2014

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 18, 2012, 06:45:27 pm »

Sharky's most recent post seems to me to give off much more of that mafiapologetic tone that Eevee was talking about with regard to me. When that is added to all the other scummy behaviors he's exhibited that coouuuuld be excused as newbie mistakes (claiming, questionable logic in defense of his vote against Frisk, etc.), I'm inclined to think that he's mafia using his newbie-ness to his advantage than town making genuine mistakes. From what I've seen following mafia, the "I'm new guys, don't shoot" defense isn't tolerated long, and I don't think it should really work here either.

Vote: shark_bait

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 18, 2012, 07:02:13 pm »

I would like to hear more from timchen - what is your read on the game currently?
My read is stuck at MVI right now. need some time to switch...

Young Nick

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 18, 2012, 07:04:02 pm »

Not that I have time for a long post, but I do understand how S_B sees the votes on him as different than the votes on C_F. Or I guess the nature of the votes is different, I should say. I am going to point out the obvious and strongly suggest that no one else votes for S_B to prevent a quick-hammer. In fact, as a precaution until I get back and can post more,

Unvote

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 18, 2012, 07:40:50 pm »

Sharky's most recent post seems to me to give off much more of that mafiapologetic tone that Eevee was talking about with regard to me. When that is added to all the other scummy behaviors he's exhibited that coouuuuld be excused as newbie mistakes (claiming, questionable logic in defense of his vote against Frisk, etc.), I'm inclined to think that he's mafia using his newbie-ness to his advantage than town making genuine mistakes. From what I've seen following mafia, the "I'm new guys, don't shoot" defense isn't tolerated long, and I don't think it should really work here either.

Vote: shark_bait

Interesting read. I took it all as pretty innocent and  apparently, Young_Nick did as well. Your use of the word "Mafiapologetic" is both humorous and offers an interesting lense to reread the post. You stated that wagon starters get the bulk of the suspicion when the lynch flips town. Then you acted on your original intuition and cast an early vote on Sharky.

As a Mafia move it is ballsy (esp for a female) but potentially dissonant enough to disarm the D2 scrutiny. As a Town move it is also fairly solid because as Town you can sustain further scrutiny without error. As a Mafia move it gets you out of the laconic stage that was causing me and possibly Robz (by virtue of his statement) to be suspicious. As a Town move it galvanizes other Townies to act on shared suspicion.

My god, it's the WIFOM.

I have some reservations about the notion that a Mafia would throw in the towel so easily. Sharky's attitude is in-line with a VT role as claimed in that losing him doesn't mortally wound Town and it provides a new lense for us all to peer through. Mafia only has 2 members (if I got the damned intro info right this time) and a single loss is a mortal blow.

More WIFOM, argh.

For now, I'm willing to reconsider Sharky's response through your interpretation and, combined with the early faux pas, Vote: Shark_Bait again.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 18, 2012, 08:06:36 pm »

Vote Count 1-6

shark_bait (2): manda2014, pingpongsam
manda2014 (1): Eevee

Not Voting {3}: Robz888, Galzria, Young Nick

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 18, 2012, 09:13:35 pm »

timchen - still waiting for your read here.

Young Nick

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 18, 2012, 10:31:17 pm »

Back at a computer. Nothing new.

Vote: Shark_Bait

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 18, 2012, 11:08:35 pm »

I don't like the Sharky bandwagon. Time to start a new one.

Vote: Pingpongsam

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 18, 2012, 11:10:49 pm »

I don't like the Sharky bandwagon. Time to start a new one.

Vote: Pingpongsam

How... Unusual of you?

Mafia Record:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 57  All

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 20 queries.