Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 57  All

Author Topic: Mafia VII: The Annual Nose-Stealing Competition (GAME OVER: MAFIA WINS!)  (Read 137057 times)

manda2014

• Baron
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia VII: The Annual Nose-Stealing Competition (DAY 1 START!)
« Reply #150 on: July 17, 2012, 01:17:26 am »

I'm not a huge fan of the FoS. It just seems unnecessary to me. I mean, really, do we need a quasi-official convention in between "oh this guy/girl seems scummy" and a vote?

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 17, 2012, 01:18:23 am »

Vote Count 1-4

timchen (1): Captain_Frisk
Captain_Frisk (2): timchen, shark_bait
shark_bait (2): pingpongsam, Young Nick

Not Voting {4}: Robz888, Eevee, Galzria, manda2014

With 9 alive, it takes 5 to lynch

Lynch deadline: Saturday, July 28, at 7:30 p.m. forum time

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 17, 2012, 05:21:18 am »

Ahh... gotcha.  I apologize for my poor play.

No, don't worry too much. This is a learning game after all. Just, future reference. ;)
Isnt everyone going to be claiming VT at this point? Some people like to ask others "whats your role" in the RVS, surely everyone always just answers "vanilla ice baby"?

I'm not buying the noob defense from anyone in this game. The setup isnt confusing and all of you seem to have a good handle on things.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia VII: The Annual Nose-Stealing Competition (DAY 1 UNDERWAY)
« Reply #153 on: July 17, 2012, 11:53:05 am »

We had this debate in MIV... Jonah did the same thing... and we all decided that it was in fact a roleclaim.

It's possible that its a false claim - but I'm pretty sure that it would have been orchestrated by someone like RobZ or Galz.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 17, 2012, 11:56:05 am »

I'm not a huge fan of the FoS. It just seems unnecessary to me. I mean, really, do we need a quasi-official convention in between "oh this guy/girl seems scummy" and a vote?

It's useful when you want to officially go on the record as suspecting someone while you are voting for someone else, or if you want to indicate your willingness to vote for someone when voting is dangerous.  (Say there are 5 people left and 2 mafia - a single misvote can end the game)

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 17, 2012, 01:26:11 pm »

I beleive there is a difference in claiming to be Town and claiming a specific Town role (VT, Doctor, etc).

It is customary for everyone, including the scum, to converse as if Town. It is entirely a different matter to specify your role in Town.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 17, 2012, 01:28:04 pm »

My eagerness to start (almost) lynching was due to my thought of, "Hey, I'm not a power role, I don't need to worry about suspicion coming on me because I'm not special."

I beleive there is a difference in claiming to be Town and claiming a specific Town role (VT, Doctor, etc).

It is customary for everyone, including the scum, to converse as if Town. It is entirely a different matter to specify your role in Town.

PPS - he claims he isn't a power role - thus process of elimination indicates that he is claiming to be vanilla town.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 17, 2012, 01:30:40 pm »

My eagerness to start (almost) lynching was due to my thought of, "Hey, I'm not a power role, I don't need to worry about suspicion coming on me because I'm not special."

PPS - he claims he isn't a power role - thus process of elimination indicates that he is claiming to be vanilla town.

I am acutely aware of this fact. To be explicit, I consider his move to be a roleclaim.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 17, 2012, 05:00:56 pm »

Galz - why are you lurking today?  How long have you been waiting to be mafia paired with a newb so that you could early claim VT and have it look like a n00b mistake?

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 17, 2012, 05:26:26 pm »

Vote Count 1-4

timchen (1): Captain_Frisk
Captain_Frisk (2): timchen, shark_bait
shark_bait (2): pingpongsam, Young Nick

Not Voting {4}: Robz888, Eevee, Galzria, manda2014

With 9 alive, it takes 5 to lynch

Lynch deadline: Saturday, July 28, at 7:30 p.m. forum time

A recap on the standing votes:

Frisk vs Timchen is a baseless RVS where timchen threw the first punch and Frisk countered with his own. Nothing to raise the eyebrows here.

Sharky's vote on Frisk is equally baseless in terms of the vote indicating any real suspicion towards Frisk. The vote was made apparently as an effort to get a wagon rolling.

PPS and Nick's votes on Sharky are directly related to the fact that Sharky seemed overeager to get a wagon rolling and  then followed with some comments that were unequivocally scummy.

So, as I see it, the only votes on the table that are based on scummy behavior at this point are the votes on Sharky. I believe there is no doubt why those votes rest there.

What I would like to hear is why those not voting at all and those RVSing view the Sharky behvaior as innocent.

I have further questions but I think if people actually start talking they will answer them so this post is a call to get some action in here and also to challenge my ideas surrounding where my own vote is currently parked.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 17, 2012, 05:30:43 pm »

Galz - why are you lurking today?  How long have you been waiting to be mafia paired with a newb so that you could early claim VT and have it look like a n00b mistake?

Yeah, I know. I didn't expect an ACTUAL newb to beat you to the claim though, so disregard that plan.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 17, 2012, 05:31:52 pm »

A recap on the standing votes:

Frisk vs Timchen is a baseless RVS where timchen threw the first punch and Frisk countered with his own. Nothing to raise the eyebrows here.

I love messing around during RVS - but my vote against allfail is not pure RVS.  I think there's a legit chance that he is scummy.  He's the one who counter OMGUS voted.

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 17, 2012, 05:33:00 pm »

@PPS: I can agree that the overeagerness to jump on a wagon is a scummy behavior. But I still don't see why his following comment are scummy. They don't make sense to me (unless frisk is his partner), but I still yet to see why it is scummy. So your saying that it is unequivocally scummy is incorrect.

timchen

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 17, 2012, 05:33:42 pm »

Oh, and frisk is right. He voted me first then I OMGUSly voted back.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 17, 2012, 05:37:40 pm »

PPS:

I try my best to vote Mafia, not scum. Voting against S_B is basically saying "I think you're Mafia, involved in an advanced Gambit". Even if it were true, it's not worth pressing today, since we may have investigative roles that can uncover the truth.

To further that thought, the fact that there might be a Cop at ALL should be enough of a deterrent to Mafia to try that sort of Gambit. It's WAY to easy to backfire, ending in a town win.

So: I'm inclined to trust the play as being what it appears. A new player learning the game. We've all been there, and that's what this game is for.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: July 17, 2012, 05:41:55 pm »

Oh, and frisk is right. He voted me first then I OMGUSly voted back.

Stop trying to buddy up to me.  I'm not your friend, guy.

So - I think that SB's claim would be advanced scum play.  I wouldn't expect to see it in this game.  Early claiming VT is probably "anti-town", but I'm going to write it off as newb play until additional evidence suggests otherwise.

(a?) Manda - who are you considering investigating tonight with your rolecop powers?

manda2014

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 17, 2012, 06:10:05 pm »

@shark_bait, how many games have you followed?

Also, nice try Frisk ;) And yeah, it's Amanda.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 17, 2012, 06:12:35 pm »

I have followed 0 games.  This technically is my second game, but only b/c RM1 started a little less than a day before this one.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

timchen

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 17, 2012, 06:17:56 pm »

Scumslip! How do you know you are not my friend? Why can two townies not be friends? And a townie won't know whether the other is a friend or not. If you are that certain I am not your friend, the only possibility is that you are mafia.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 17, 2012, 08:11:21 pm »

PPS:

I try my best to vote Mafia, not scum. Voting against S_B is basically saying "I think you're Mafia, involved in an advanced Gambit". Even if it were true, it's not worth pressing today, since we may have investigative roles that can uncover the truth.

Excellent perspective: Unvote

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 17, 2012, 08:22:09 pm »

@PPS

a) i tend to not throw my vote around lightly unless i'm scum. i'm too paranoid of mafia hammering an unwanted lynch through / i just really want to keep the hammer option on someone i know to be town (myself).

b) s_b's roleclaim business clears him in my head somewhat, not nearly comfortable enough to vote. you seem very eager to lynch him?

manda2014

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 17, 2012, 08:33:51 pm »

Scumslip! How do you know you are not my friend? Why can two townies not be friends? And a townie won't know whether the other is a friend or not. If you are that certain I am not your friend, the only possibility is that you are mafia.

Friendship is dangerous. We can't KNOW who's town. We're all wary allies at best.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 17, 2012, 08:46:55 pm »

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/165191/im-not-your-friend-guy

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 17, 2012, 09:34:26 pm »

@PPS

a) i tend to not throw my vote around lightly unless i'm scum. i'm too paranoid of mafia hammering an unwanted lynch through / i just really want to keep the hammer option on someone i know to be town (myself).

b) s_b's roleclaim business clears him in my head somewhat, not nearly comfortable enough to vote. you seem very eager to lynch him?

I am fail to see how being the 1st vote and then soliciting challenges to my own vote is broadcasting eagerness to lynch. I'm never reluctant to throw down an early vote. As a wagon builds I am much more reticent to cast a vote.

Young Nick

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 18, 2012, 01:38:32 am »

I still don't like how many (namely C_F and Galz) are so willing to write off S_B's play as a newbie move. Maybe he hasn't lurked here, but it would have been simple enough to read up on Mafia (the game, not allegiance) strategies and tactics and thus devised that claiming VT might be his best bet. As C_F said, he is not a doofus.

I respect Galz's point that we should vote Mafia not vote scum, but, well, this early, scum implies Mafia to some extent. I don't know if I agree with him saying that (assuming there is a Cop and S_B is a Mafia false-claiming) it is a bad move by S_B. All S_B has to do is convince the Cop, and then he's off the hook.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 57  All

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 20 queries.