Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 57  All

Author Topic: Mafia VII: The Annual Nose-Stealing Competition (GAME OVER: MAFIA WINS!)  (Read 137066 times)

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia VII: The Annual Nose-Stealing Competition (DAY 1 START!)
« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2012, 11:11:40 am »

In an ideal world, I would want everyone to get up to 4 votes real votes and claim... then you have all sorts of good information... but there's just no way to accomplish this - because the pressure doesn't exist without the thread of being lynched.
That is a TERRIBLE thing to wish if you are a townie. In an ideal world, we would force all our power roles to claim on day 1?

Its so majorly fuqqed up I dont even consider it a scumslip but maaaan!

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2012, 11:35:16 am »

Pointing the Finger of Suspicion on day 1 is pretty damn useless.  It provides 0 pressure to the person fingered.  Even if all 8 people here are FOSing me, I don't care.  I'm not going to roleclaim.

In my mind the FoS is just a call for the FoS'd to respond to the FoS; which you did... so apparently it works pretty well even on people who claim it provides 0 pressure. It was certainly not intended as pressure to roleclaim.

Now a scummy response to a FoS might deserve a vote. The scummiest thing you said in this particular FoS response was that you'd like to see all the Town roles claimed D1 and I don't see how that it is possibly Town positive. I don't think such an absurd idea deserves a vote... yet.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2012, 11:48:30 am »

In an ideal world, I would want everyone to get up to 4 votes real votes and claim... then you have all sorts of good information... but there's just no way to accomplish this - because the pressure doesn't exist without the thread of being lynched.
That is a TERRIBLE thing to wish if you are a townie. In an ideal world, we would force all our power roles to claim on day 1?

Its so majorly fuqqed up I dont even consider it a scumslip but maaaan!

So let me walk you through my thinking there.  Lets make some general assumptions that you favor a directed lynch (because then people had to provide a reason) over a random lynch, and a random lynch over no lynch.  Agreed?

When we execute a targeted lynch on Day 1 - we'll make it up to L-1 and the following things can happen:

1. Mafia quick hammers before a claim is possible.
2. Town hammers self (I wouldn't include this as a possibility, but it has happened in these forums before)
3. Mafia is being lynched and claims power role. 
4. Mafia is being lynched and claims VT
5. Town is being lynched and claims VT
6. Town is being lynched and claims PR.

The general thinking is that you don't lynch PR -> so there's no reason for mafia to claim VT.  What ends up happening in this scenario is that we force roleclaims until we hit a VT - and then we end up lynching vanilla town.

If we stop lynching VT claims (because its obvious that they are VT at that point), then that starts to let Mafia claim VT and get away with it, which then means that the outcome of lynching is just that we're outing PRs.

End result is - the more people we near lynch - the more information we get regarding bandwagons.  We can't plan to near lynch multiple people though, because this reduces the value of the information obtained from the wagon and claim.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2012, 11:52:45 am »

Where's Fuzzy (Eevee)?
I'm here. Not much to say yet, timchen is the only one who has stood out to me. You seem to attack me one way or another in every game we are in together, why is that?

I don't trust Pokemon.

Anyway, wait, I attacked you here? Edgy a bit? I asked where you were...
Yeah edgy, apologies. Wrote that post in a hurry, didnt mean to come off that butthurt. However, what i meant to say was "I'm getting a vibe you generally dont trust me" which apparently is true. Okay.

I never know what to say day1 before anything has really happened. I do realize its important to post just to make something happen, but I dont much believe in the "Galzria, how did you feel when your role pm said its mafia time?" method either so.. :/
I felt great! I love being Ma...
Oh, wait. You weren't asking me? *Ahem*Disregard!

In all seriousness, no, I don't naturally distrust you any more than anybody else. To that effect however, I DO distrust you just as much. Most people like to start a game with null reads on everybody, but I like to start with everybody as "more likely scum than town" because letting anybody become "pro-town" in my eyes can be dangerous.

I also (read D1 M-III) like to focus on the Veterans D1, because they are a semi known quantity to me. Robz I know takes the opposite approach, scrutinizing the new players. Both methods have some track record of success. In my post to CF, I grabbed your name, and Timchen's (after lolCayvie). It certainly wasn't personal however.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 16, 2012, 11:56:28 am »

Now that I've played with some of these jokers a few times, I tend to suspect the experienced players more - because man, if its a 2 n00b mafia, hopefully that will be evident extremely early.

That said, this game isn't especially "hard" - most of the obvious bad plays are obviously so - and the rest is WIFOM.  Even playing as serial killer in my 2nd game game didn't strike me as especially challenging.  I totally would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for glooble random block.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 16, 2012, 12:11:36 pm »

I felt great! I love being Ma...
Oh, wait. You weren't asking me? *Ahem*Disregard!

In all seriousness, no, I don't naturally distrust you any more than anybody else. To that effect however, I DO distrust you just as much. Most people like to start a game with null reads on everybody, but I like to start with everybody as "more likely scum than town" because letting anybody become "pro-town" in my eyes can be dangerous.

I also (read D1 M-III) like to focus on the Veterans D1, because they are a semi known quantity to me. Robz I know takes the opposite approach, scrutinizing the new players. Both methods have some track record of success. In my post to CF, I grabbed your name, and Timchen's (after lolCayvie). It certainly wasn't personal however.

"More likely scum than town" seems like a terrible approach. I thought you were all 25% to be mafia before the banter began, now the numbers would be slightly different (timchen and galzria at 30% or something like that, my reads are quite nonexistent still). Why would you disregard simple math? Almost seems like a mafia trying too hard to look like town..

Focusing on veterans makes a lot of sense. And I dont think its personal as in actually personal, but wondering if its personal in the mafia meta kind of way.  :)

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 16, 2012, 12:15:53 pm »

Interesting - I read his "more likely scum than mafia" not in the literal sence (i suspect that everyone is 55% likely to be mafia) but rather that everyone had a higher than expected chance to be mafia (say - 30%) as a way of keeping himself on his toes.

Plus - I think Galzria said he's done alot of stage acting in the past or something to that effect.  He's probably bad at math.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 16, 2012, 12:24:32 pm »

Interesting - I read his "more likely scum than mafia" not in the literal sence (i suspect that everyone is 55% likely to be mafia) but rather that everyone had a higher than expected chance to be mafia (say - 30%) as a way of keeping himself on his toes.

Plus - I think Galzria said he's done alot of stage acting in the past or something to that effect.  He's probably bad at math.

Yes to your first point, lol @ your second.

I don't mean "odds of being", I meant that I, say, assign everybody an equal -5 value to start, where 0 is neutral, and then keep tallies of how they play. I very much think it's a GOOD idea not to let people become trusted too much. For one thing, look at who's been scum in games past, and how they've been read by the town:

Me in M-II, Yuma (to an extent) in M-III, Glooble for much of M-IV, Yuma for M-V...

I'm not saying "persecute the trusty reads", I'm saying that I see greater value in not letting people get to that point in my eyes. It's been proven poor town play to trust to dearly.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 16, 2012, 12:33:08 pm »

I don't mean "odds of being", I meant that I, say, assign everybody an equal -5 value to start, where 0 is neutral, and then keep tallies of how they play. I very much think it's a GOOD idea not to let people become trusted too much. For one thing, look at who's been scum in games past, and how they've been read by the town:

Me in M-II, Yuma (to an extent) in M-III, Glooble for much of M-IV, Yuma for M-V...

I'm not saying "persecute the trusty reads", I'm saying that I see greater value in not letting people get to that point in my eyes. It's been proven poor town play to trust to dearly.
yuma seems to play mafia masterfully.

I dont know, my approach is trying to find people I can trust (because it helps to read at least some analysis that isnt mafia polluting my mind) and then constantly re-evaluating the situation to see if they did something scummy. I feel my town-radar works quite well (quite well meaning a lot better than my mafia radar).

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 16, 2012, 12:35:21 pm »

Damn - I was kindof hoping for a stronger reaction.  I thought about quick apologizing when I saw how much more dickish it looked than I wanted it to - and then I decided that riling you up in the game could only be a good thing.

manda2014

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 16, 2012, 12:41:58 pm »

I dont know, my approach is trying to find people I can trust (because it helps to read at least some analysis that isnt mafia polluting my mind) and then constantly re-evaluating the situation to see if they did something scummy. I feel my town-radar works quite well (quite well meaning a lot better than my mafia radar).

Trying to find someone to trust seems to me to be a really dangerous approach, because scum is going to be trying very hard to LOOK trustworthy. I mean, I'll trust my own reads but I'm never going to 100% assume I'm right. If you don't take everything anyone says with a grain of salt, there's too much danger of assuming the person you got a town read on initially is still town and you'll end up being scum's best friend.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 16, 2012, 12:45:24 pm »

Damn - I was kindof hoping for a stronger reaction.  I thought about quick apologizing when I saw how much more dickish it looked than I wanted it to - and then I decided that riling you up in the game could only be a good thing.

Sorry, redo:

How dare you insult me?!? My math skills are perfectly fine! Who ever said anything about not being able to be Theater AND be good at math!? Rage! Rage! OMGUS vote on Captain Frisk! Gaaar!

Better?

---

So you admit to being willing to bus D1 if it seems necessary?

Mafia Record:

manda2014

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 16, 2012, 12:45:56 pm »

Pointing the Finger of Suspicion on day 1 is pretty damn useless.  It provides 0 pressure to the person fingered.  Even if all 8 people here are FOSing me, I don't care.  I'm not going to roleclaim.

In my mind the FoS is just a call for the FoS'd to respond to the FoS; which you did... so apparently it works pretty well even on people who claim it provides 0 pressure. It was certainly not intended as pressure to roleclaim.

Now a scummy response to a FoS might deserve a vote. The scummiest thing you said in this particular FoS response was that you'd like to see all the Town roles claimed D1 and I don't see how that it is possibly Town positive. I don't think such an absurd idea deserves a vote... yet.

I like the idea of a little early voting just to shake things up, because it's considerably more pressure than the FoS, and, scum might panic and make a mistake. Early wagons I think are really dangerous--we don't want to out power roles. No one's gonna claim at 1 vote, but I don't think we want to get to L-1 without more time for analysis.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 16, 2012, 12:52:54 pm »

Trying to find someone to trust seems to me to be a really dangerous approach, because scum is going to be trying very hard to LOOK trustworthy. I mean, I'll trust my own reads but I'm never going to 100% assume I'm right. If you don't take everything anyone says with a grain of salt, there's too much danger of assuming the person you got a town read on initially is still town and you'll end up being scum's best friend.
That came out wrong. I meant to say I disagree with galzrias method of actively trying to avoid trusting anyone. I dont find a problem with getting a strong town vibe from someone and then listening to that people a little more than others when deciding who to lynch or what to do. Not ruling out the chance of anyone being mafia ever, but playing the  percentages (I assign in my head).

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 16, 2012, 12:57:01 pm »

Sorry, redo:

How dare you insult me?!? My math skills are perfectly fine! Who ever said anything about not being able to be Theater AND be good at math!? Rage! Rage! OMGUS vote on Captain Frisk! Gaaar!

Better?

---

Much better.  As for your question - I'm not sure.  With regard to life in general I would say that I like to keep as many options open as I can.  I don't have any tatoos, and I'd never put those earlobe expanding plugs in my ears. 

So - strictly speaking I would have to answer - "Yes, if I were mafia, I would be willing D1 if it seems necessary."  Anyone who says anything else is either lying or not thinking things through.   

I would probably prefer to avoid it (since killing your own partner also limits your options in the future).  In this particular game - it seems like a really bad idea.

Why - what is your partner planning on doing when you are near lynched today?  Are you fishing for good ideas? 

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 16, 2012, 01:11:12 pm »

I've been rather quiet so far.  Here's my opinion on what's happening.  There has been a lot of "coaching" and "advice" from some of the veteran players.  I really don't think as of now, we can glean much from that.  Whether they are scum or town, it is beneficial.  If they are scum, they gain credibility by "helping" the town.  If they are town, they help the rest of the town understand the best course of action.  So with that said, I'm inclined to trust them for now.  But at some point, us noobz need to propose some ideas and see how those vets respond to try and determine where their loyalties lie.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 16, 2012, 01:28:39 pm »

Sorry, redo:

Better?

---

Much better.  As for your question - I'm not sure.  With regard to life in general I would say that I like to keep as many options open as I can.  I don't have any tatoos, and I'd never put those earlobe expanding plugs in my ears. 

So - strictly speaking I would have to answer - "Yes, if I were mafia, I would be willing D1 if it seems necessary."  Anyone who says anything else is either lying or not thinking things through.   

I would probably prefer to avoid it (since killing your own partner also limits your options in the future).  In this particular game - it seems like a really bad idea.

Why - what is your partner planning on doing when you are near lynched today?  Are you fishing for good ideas?

I'm always open to new ideas, and understanding the psyche of Mafia (scum) players not named Galzria (I know his thoughts!) seems to be beneficial as far as meta-gaming goes.

Now, anything I say (and you, or others) turns into WIFOM. I might say it, but will I do it? This is the crux of my "actions meet words" mafiahunting technique, which is why I like getting definitive statements one way or another. If we lynch scum, I can look back on your statement above when considering if you might be Mafiosi #2.

To clear up the first paragraph, when talking about how "Mafia Galzria" thinks, I'm strictly speaking in a meta-game sense. I'm pro-town aligned here.

---

Pingpongsam:

What are your views? Are you willing to bus your Mafia partner D1?

Mafia Record:

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 16, 2012, 02:27:32 pm »

I kind of wish I was Mafia because a) I've not gotten the opportunity to play that side of the fence yet and b) catching suspicion and heat as a Townie has got to be tougher than catching the same heat when you really are the dirty bastard they all say you are.

I'm pretty averse to D1 lynching because my experience to this point has been it produces terrible results with no useful information after the fact. I'm sure it can happen in other ways but my experience dictates you don't kill someone just to see which way they flip, you kill someone because you have damn good reasons that are all your own to believe they are Mafia.

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 16, 2012, 02:38:06 pm »

Guys (and ladies): stop arguing and just vote for frisk to test his own theory!

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 16, 2012, 02:48:14 pm »

Vote: Captain Frisk
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 16, 2012, 02:52:54 pm »

Vote Count 1-2

timchen (1): Captain_Frisk
Captain_Frisk (2): timchen, shark_bait

Not Voting {6}: Robz888, Eevee, Galzria, Young Nick, manda2014, pingpongsam

With 9 alive, it takes 5 to lynch

Lynch deadline: Saturday, July 28, at 7:30 p.m. forum time

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 16, 2012, 04:35:17 pm »

Way too long without posting in here.

@Shark_bait - would you like to explain your vote?

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 16, 2012, 04:38:40 pm »

Why should he? You suggested it.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 16, 2012, 04:44:19 pm »

Why should he? You suggested it.

Well, the pressure is much more.. pressing (?) if you give the accused some reasons for your vote.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 16, 2012, 04:51:06 pm »

Not to mention that voting without reasons is pretty damn scummy.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 57  All

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 20 queries.