Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Never Ending Game?  (Read 2404 times)

fp

• Thief
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
Never Ending Game?
« on: July 21, 2011, 06:40:59 pm »

Earlier today, I was thinking that it is theoretically possible for no player to be able to end the game.

If all the players buy up all of the Coppers and Curses, and all of the Coppers are trashed, it is possible for no player to be able to end the game at all- even if they wanted to.

The question is: Is there a board where this is at all plausible? Even if given that all players want to play optimally?

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
Re: Never Ending Game?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 06:46:48 pm »

Hmm. 4-player Mountebank games can run out the coppers really fast, so that's a potential starting point.

ARTjoMS

• Bishop
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 06:50:53 pm »

Yeah, it is possible, therefore i think there should be an option - ''draw''.

This situation arises, when you can't really improve your deck anymore, but if you go and buy something you clog your deck and lose. Embargo also could be involved.
When a friend of mine sees a girl he finds attractive, he remarks how he'd like to "Throne Room" or "King's Court" her.
- Axe Knight

''Especially regarding such an iconic (and somewhat infamous) name that is known as ARTjoMS.'' - shark_bait is boosting my ego.

Tahtweasel

• Navigator
  • Respect: +36
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 08:07:29 pm »

Golem, Farming Village, Possession, Chapel. Both players have all their money trashed. (This is actually optimal because your opponent can play your deck more often than you can.)

This sort of game actually is never-ending, and absolutely can happen.

krawhitham

• Baron
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 10:43:58 pm »

I believe that Donald X has clarified that money cards should be considered infinite in amount (so that they never run out).

Obviously the game would be pretty expensive if they put an infinite number of cards in the box...

Anon79

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +39
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 10:44:41 pm »

It's been brought up on boardgamegeek before; in the King's Court-ed Masquerade pin, your opponent may have managed to Island away more than half of the VPs before you set up your pin. So you never want the game to end.

guided

• Jester
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 11:17:27 pm »

I believe that Donald X has clarified that money cards should be considered infinite in amount (so that they never run out).
Wrong. While there is not intended to be any finite limit to the number of basic treasures you may choose put in each supply pile at the start of the game, whatever finite number you do put in a pile can run out, and that counts as one pile toward the game end condition.

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 11:44:14 pm »

There was a report on BGG about a chapel game on BSW where one guy had > half the points, but his opponent thieved all his money away, and I believe the game "ended" in a tie, where the guy with > half the points couldn't end the game because his deck ran out of money (and eventually the coppers ran down).
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 20 queries.