Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Feature Requests  (Read 12317 times)

fp

• Thief
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
Feature Requests
« on: July 21, 2011, 03:47:50 pm »

1) Pass And Play

A friend mentioned this to me, so at the least, he would be interested in it. He is very interested in games where he can whip out his iPad and start a game. Currently, such an option is not available.

2) Option To Be Notified When a Player has more than Half of the Available Points (if possible)

It would simply be nice for the computer to remind all the players when one player has definitely won the game. A small portion of games seem to drag on and on, and the opponent does not realize his chance of winning is definitely 0. I play a lot of Dominion, but I would prefer to play more :-)

guided

• Jester
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
Re: Feature Requests
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 03:52:45 pm »

#2 is not a trivial problem. In addition to VP chips, consider cards like Saboteur and Masquerade. Trashers in general can violate assumptions about who has "definitely won" - consider Lookout.

painted_cow

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 06:32:13 pm »

Can you describe #1 in other words what you mean by Pass and Play?

Sry, no native speaker :-)

fp

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 06:42:50 pm »

Can you describe #1 in other words what you mean by Pass and Play?

Sry, no native speaker :-)

My turn, I go to the computer, take my turn. My turn ends, I get up, you sit down, you take your turn. You turn ends, you get up. Repeat.

With an iPad, it would be more like:
My turn, I take the iPad, take my turn. My turn ends, I pass the iPad to you , you take your turn. You turn ends, you pass it to me. Repeat.

fp

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 06:43:35 pm »

#2 is not a trivial problem. In addition to VP chips, consider cards like Saboteur and Masquerade. Trashers in general can violate assumptions about who has "definitely won" - consider Lookout.

Of course. But in a game with absolutely no trashers and no VP points, I would be worthwhile.

painted_cow

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 07:42:58 pm »

Okay, so you mean kind of Multiplayer on one PC/Iphone, they called it HotSeat in some PC games a decade ago (Heroes of Might and Magic ::)). Thx for expressing terms.

guided

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 09:13:37 pm »

Of course. But in a game with absolutely no trashers and no VP points, I would be worthwhile.
I doubt you're going to interest Doug in coding a feature that will apply in a small percentage of the games played on the vanishingly small percentage of boards that have no VP-chip cards and no trashers :P

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 11:54:44 pm »

I doubt you're going to interest Doug in coding a feature that will apply in a small percentage of the games played on the vanishingly small percentage of boards that have no VP-chip cards and no trashers :P

I don't intend to argue for this because I don't think it has enough utility to justify implementing it.  However, I don't really think any board with trashing would need to be excluded.  Really just the 3 VP token cards, and Saboteur, Swindler, and Masquerade would need to be excluded, and a good percentage of boards would not have those 6 cards.  (I guess Possession/Ambassador would have to be excluded too.)  Any trashers that are controlled by the user just simply should not be used if you already have over half the available VPs.  Technically this could be considered an unfair advantage since it warns the player that they really should not play their Lookout.   

If this feature was implemented, I don't really think excluding those boards is even necessary.  If player 1 had over half the VPs available on the board, and the game announces it, player 2 should be smart enough to know it doesn't mean he should resign if he has a Goons engine that is about to go off, or is King Courting Saboteur every turn.

guided

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 11:59:57 pm »

If you want isotropic to sometimes announce the score at a random time when it may or may not matter, well, use the point tracker. This is silly.

fp

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 03:22:01 pm »

If you want isotropic to sometimes announce the score at a random time when it may or may not matter, well, use the point tracker. This is silly.

Point for guided.

I'm just throwing out ideas, some are crap, but some are genius.
You found a crappy one.  :D

Arya Stark

• Navigator
  • the things i do for dominion.....
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 05:35:02 pm »

I see people in the lobby all the time asking how to start a solitaire game

Epoch

• Tactician
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 02:48:47 pm »

A player on auto-match and I noticed that both of us had veto mode set to "don't care," and it gave us a game with veto mode.  That seems weird.

My actual stance is, "I don't want to play veto mode, but don't care enough to make an issue if another player wants veto mode."  Is it possible to create a mode where unless someone actively says, "Yes, I want veto mode," we get no veto mode?

Should that be the default behavior of "don't care"?  I kind of think it should be.  Is it really the case that right now if everyone says, "don't care," we get veto mode some of the time?  Or was my opponent mistaken about his settings?

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 04:35:17 am »

I think if both players don't care about veto mode then it's 50-50 whether or not your match will be in veto mode. But hey, you don't care if it's veto mode so it's all good. If you care, say you don't want veto mode.

tlloyd

• Tactician
  • Respect: +84
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 03:09:47 pm »

My actual stance is, "I don't want to play veto mode, but don't care enough to make an issue if another player wants veto mode."  Is it possible to create a mode where unless someone actively says, "Yes, I want veto mode," we get no veto mode? Should that be the default behavior of "don't care"?  I kind of think it should be.

I agree 100%.

guided

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2011, 03:24:13 pm »

A new mode is fine ("prefer veto" and "prefer no veto" in the dropdown), but IMO the semantically correct thing if both players truly "don't care" is to randomize it.

Note that you are entirely welcome to both choose the option to veto a random card, if both of you really didn't prefer to play veto mode.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2011, 03:31:10 pm »

I always just do random veto. If the other person didn't care then they'd also do random veto and it would be the same as if neither of us had done veto mode.

rod-

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2011, 03:32:38 pm »

I'd like to see saving player-defined defaults for dropdown options ; when i log in i just want to push automatch and start a game, but there are some of the options that I regret not having clicked once in awhile (mostly 'registered only')

tlloyd

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2011, 06:58:59 pm »

Isn't there a default for the point-tracker? If both players "don't care" about the point-tracker, there is no point-tracker. Why should veto mode be different? That said, I agree that vetoing a random card is a decent though imperfect solution.

dougz

• Isotropic Designer
  • Respect: +440
    • View Profile
    • Online Dominion
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2011, 12:08:54 am »

If no player cares about the point tracker, it is always off because it is a variant not allowed by the actual rules; the default should obviously be to play Dominion, not Dominion-plus-public-scoring.

If no player cares about veto mode, it is sometimes enabled (randomly, 1 in 5 chance) because it is allowed by the rule book (which says "players can choose the 10 Kingdom cards using any method they agree on."); it's as legal a way to choose the Kingdom cards as any of the other mechanisms provided on the site.

tlloyd

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2011, 05:01:57 pm »

I really don't want to have this debate again, but I don't agree that the point tracker is less consistent with the rules than veto mode. So I find that argument unpersuasive.

guided

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2011, 05:16:26 pm »

If no player cares about the point tracker, it is always off because it is a variant not allowed by the actual rules; the default should obviously be to play Dominion, not Dominion-plus-public-scoring.

If no player cares about veto mode, it is sometimes enabled (randomly, 1 in 5 chance) because it is allowed by the rule book (which says "players can choose the 10 Kingdom cards using any method they agree on."); it's as legal a way to choose the Kingdom cards as any of the other mechanisms provided on the site.
Doug, would you consider adding "prefer" and "prefer not" options to the automatch dropdowns? I think it's clear what should happen for any combination of options, except when at least one person says "prefer" and at least one other says "prefer not" and nobody says "require" or "prohibit" - in which case that could be handled like the current don't-care behaviors.

Lately I've been playing an alt experimenting with other game modes I don't normally play, and I'd particularly like a "prefer" option for the point tracker. i.e. I'd like to play with it, but I will play with somebody who has "prohibited" it if that's who's available.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 05:20:28 pm by guided »

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2011, 07:08:01 am »

Doug, would you consider adding "prefer" and "prefer not" options to the automatch dropdowns? I think it's clear what should happen for any combination of options, except when at least one person says "prefer" and at least one other says "prefer not" and nobody says "require" or "prohibit" - in which case that could be handled like the current don't-care behaviors.

Lately I've been playing an alt experimenting with other game modes I don't normally play, and I'd particularly like a "prefer" option for the point tracker. i.e. I'd like to play with it, but I will play with somebody who has "prohibited" it if that's who's available.

Seconded. I've been thinking for a while that a "prefer" and "prefer not" system would be nice, since I would also be in the boat of usually preferring point tracker, but would also like games without it.

ChaosRed

• Duke
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2011, 03:43:17 pm »

Feature requests, from a total newb's perspective:

As the player list refreshes, anything you are typing into text boxes disappears. I often like to set up solitaire games with specific card sets, so it gets a bit frustrating trying to type in the box as it constantly refreshes. Being able to stop the auto-refresh, or a page specific to setting up solitaire games would be nice.

I'd like to restrict to certain sets, the "bias" is just that, just a bias, but I'd like actual restrictions. I am okay with these restrictions meaning the game doesn't count towards your rating. As a newb, I just would like to focus on the older expansions.

I'd like it if your veto only applied to 6 cards not 12 (each player seeing a different half of the proposed board). That way you do not see the whole board. Right now, I think people are vetoing with full knowledge of the board, so it really reduces the "oh, oh, didn't expect that combo" when the game starts, which I feel is an important part of the game's appeal. I like veto games, but feel the ability to veto on all 12 is a tad strong.

Chrome Extensions - Do they exist yet? A list of add-ons that compliment isotropic would be nice.

My apologies if my suggestions are neither feasible or useful to long term players.

guided

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2011, 04:36:55 pm »

As the player list refreshes, anything you are typing into text boxes disappears.
This issue drives me absolutely batshit (the text box can't be used for typing, period) and forces me to type solitaire testing requirements into a separate text window and then paste them in (reallyreallyfast because otherwise the box loses focus before I can execute the paste command). But I assume it's some browser or system specific thing that is hard to repro elsewhere.

CMiner

• Herbalist
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2011, 05:31:07 pm »

Identical starting hands option for auto-match.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 21 queries.