Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Bishop + Border Village beats the Golden Deck  (Read 1014 times)

DrFlux

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +68
    • View Profile
Bishop + Border Village beats the Golden Deck
« on: July 12, 2012, 11:39:22 am »
+1

So I played an excellent game with julie recently:

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120711-132834-6299f89e.html

The key parts of the board were bishop, chapel, border village and market, nothing else was so relevent, though I used crossroads once near the end with an extra buy.

I felt good about this game for the following reasons:
- it was probably the first time I won against a 40+ opponent
- I correctly surmised that trashing border villages could beat trashing provinces here in the end game, because though it gets one less point per trash, your deck can get progressively better as you gain more markets. With such a small deck this is a big effect, and because you are not buying provinces, you have time to catch up to the other player, eventually with multiple buys/bishop-trashes.

I would like your comments on the following decisions:

I did not buy chapel: I figured buying chapel was more risky if my trashers collided, and I only needed to get up to six consistently and then things would come together. If my opponent had not opened with bishop, I would have definitely opened chapel. Was I correct?

I did not ever buy gold: it just never seemed like there was a right time.

Finally, I think I should have never bought a province till the very end, as my deck would have been stronger if I got to the point where I could buy multiple border villages in a single turn. I was winning the long game so I should have drawn it out.

I was careful not to buy too many non-cantrips, I never wanted to draw bishop-bishop-silver-crossroads-crossroads, with the rest of my markets still in my deck.

Any other comments?

DrFlux

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +68
    • View Profile
Re: Bishop + Border Village beats the Golden Deck
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 11:47:29 am »

Oh! I just noticed that outpost could be very nice here instead of the second bishop, assuming you kept a very trimmed deck (you couldn't keep more than 1-bishop, 1 card to trash and the rest cantrips). I used 4 to buy my second bishop, so I'm not sure when I would have done that in this game.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
Re: Bishop + Border Village beats the Golden Deck
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 11:54:09 am »

Well done. Skipping Chapel is definitely the right play in non-Golden Deck Bishop strategies, since you get enough trashing from your Bishop and hers. Regarding the Province buy, I think you're fine. It didn't really matter. Your deck was down to the point where you could draw at all anyway, even with the Province. But it couldn't hurt to drag it out longer either. She did mess up her Golden deck and was a turn slow, so if that went differently, it might have affected your decision, but you were in great shape with your choice of strategy.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 20 queries.