Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 4 player Dominion with 2 players  (Read 2467 times)

Adrienaline

• Baron
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
4 player Dominion with 2 players
« on: July 12, 2012, 05:58:33 am »

I was hoping to hold off on this until I'd had a chance to test it out, but most of my gaming with actual cards has been 3 or 4 player over the past month or so.

It was an idea I'd first come up with for a 2-player Ticket to Ride variant, and I thought it would carry across well to Dominion.

The idea is to play with two decks/hands/discards/everything, as if you were playing a 4 player game. Your score at the end is determined by your highest point value minus your opponent's lowest point value (so you can't just elect to tank with one of your decks, they have to both do reasonably well).

What does everyone else think?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Re: 4 player Dominion with 2 players
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 09:09:45 am »

I suspect I would enjoy two player dominion more, just due to convenience.  With four players you could play team dominion in this way and I expect it'd work out reasonably well.  Of course if you aren't worried about the extra shuffling and swapping decks and all, go for it, I don't see any actual gameplay problems.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 09:58:59 am »
+2

Some potential things to think about:

1. can you see both of the hands at the same time?
2. All attack cards become weaker
3. If the answer to #1 is yes - then reaction cards become slightly stronger

Personally - unlike other games that are designed for the interaction of 3-5 players - dominion plays very well with 2p.

If you want to play 2 player ticket to ride - buy Nordic Countries.  If you want to play dominion with only 2 players - play dominion!
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Cadence20

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 02:57:21 pm »
+3

I was hoping to hold off on this until I'd had a chance to test it out, but most of my gaming with actual cards has been 3 or 4 player over the past month or so.

It was an idea I'd first come up with for a 2-player Ticket to Ride variant, and I thought it would carry across well to Dominion.

The idea is to play with two decks/hands/discards/everything, as if you were playing a 4 player game. Your score at the end is determined by your highest point value minus your opponent's lowest point value (so you can't just elect to tank with one of your decks, they have to both do reasonably well).

What does everyone else think?

Just a little side note, having your score being your highest minus your opponent's lowest is equivalent to having your score being the combined point totals of your two decks... :)

Sounds interesting although a lot of details to iron out as mentioned above.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.909 seconds with 20 queries.