Author Topic: Stash  (Read 2920 times)

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +937
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
Stash
« on: July 21, 2011, 12:08:38 pm »

Stash's power seems a whole lot more flexible than it needs to be to be useful.  Is there ever any reason not to put all your Stash cards on top after a reshuffle?  I can really only think of two, maybe three other things you'd want to do with them:

1. In a heavy treasure deck where the other treasures are mostly Gold/Venture, you'd probably want the Stash cards at the bottom.

2. In a Menagerie deck, you'd probably want the Stashes spaced out.

3? Positioning Stashes so as to purposely dodge Native Village draws, as here:  http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=240 ...but even after examining the game, I still don't quite know how he does that, as you can't control where the Native Villages themselves wind up.

I would imagine that these exceptions are extremely infrequent, so you'd still, 99% of the time, just want to put them on top.  True?  Anybody have any other positionings that proved useful?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
Re: Stash
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 12:16:09 pm »

Placing them elsewhere can be important for defending against certain attacks, like thief and pirate ship, it can be useful for working with hunting party (though in both this and the venture example, I don't know why you've bought stashes), and when you reshuffle in the middle of drawing a new hand, and that hand is too strong or too weak already, you can stuff them back into the next hand. In general though, they're more or less on top 95% of the time, exactly literally on top like 55% or something.

rod-

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 12:59:00 pm »

If you reshuffle mid-turn or mid-draw, you know how much money you 'need' from your remaining draws and can position the stashes accordingly.

But yeah, I wonder if "always on top" would be enough of a power decrease to merit it costing 4 instead of 5 - it only gets bought 20% of the time; it's no venture.

DsnowMan

• Bishop
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 02:11:43 pm »

We had an IRL game with Stash, Swindler and Sea Hag where my opponent had to pause and think about his reshuffle a few times. With some kind of village, I could choose how many Swindlers and Hags to play to try and mess up his Stash placement, or worse, turn one into something else.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 02:14:04 pm »

We had an IRL game with Stash, Swindler and Sea Hag where my opponent had to pause and think about his reshuffle a few times. With some kind of village, I could choose how many Swindlers and Hags to play to try and mess up his Stash placement, or worse, turn one into something else.

Wouldn't that be better? ;]

Death to Sea Hags

• Thief
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 02:54:35 pm »

Stash's power seems a whole lot more flexible than it needs to be to be useful.  Is there ever any reason not to put all your Stash cards on top after a reshuffle?  I can really only think of two, maybe three other things you'd want to do with them:

1. In a heavy treasure deck where the other treasures are mostly Gold/Venture, you'd probably want the Stash cards at the bottom.

2. In a Menagerie deck, you'd probably want the Stashes spaced out.

3? Positioning Stashes so as to purposely dodge Native Village draws, as here:  http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=240 ...but even after examining the game, I still don't quite know how he does that, as you can't control where the Native Villages themselves wind up.

I would imagine that these exceptions are extremely infrequent, so you'd still, 99% of the time, just want to put them on top.  True?  Anybody have any other positionings that proved useful?

1. Wishing Well - place them every other card from top of deck, and then wish them up.

2. You'll often get a mid-turn reshuffle.  Maybe you want to play a Lookout, without drawing the Stashes?

3. Two cards left in the deck and you reshuffle - do you want three Stashes if you've already drawn two Gold?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 03:47:40 pm »
+1

But yeah, I wonder if "always on top" would be enough of a power decrease to merit it costing 4 instead of 5 - it only gets bought 20% of the time; it's no venture.
I can't make a treasure that costs $4, makes $2, and has a bonus but no penalty. People buy Silver for $4 too often. So they'd buy this instead, not caring about the bonus, just thinking, it's better, and then everyone is playing with this card even if no-one was interested in it. I have had the experience; it's no good.

fp

• Thief
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 03:51:28 pm »

In a Colony Game, Silvers (ergo, Stashes) are actually a detriment toward buying Colonies. Hence, in a Colony game, you might consider placing them at the bottom of your deck to make them "dead" in order to increase your chances of drawing more powerful cards.

play2draw

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 04:18:17 pm »

Maybe with Pearl Divers? Throw the silvers on the bottom and grab 'em if you need 'em?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.