Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Gain 4 silvers from Trusty Steed?  (Read 5144 times)

Wolphmaniac

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: DividedSpy
  • Respect: +279
    • View Profile
Gain 4 silvers from Trusty Steed?
« on: July 10, 2012, 11:52:33 pm »

Has anyone ever done this?
And if so, why?

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
Re: Gain 4 silvers from Trusty Steed?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 11:56:31 pm »
+2

I'd say roughly 40% of the time I get Steed it's for this effect (Maybe 30% of the time it's because Followers was taken).  Helps a lot if your deck is full of victory cards/curses.  It also reshuffles your deck right away, which can have its advantages.  The +2 Actions is nice if it's the only 'village' in play, but not worth relying on winning a Tournament.  +Cards +$ is also quite nice.

Gaining 4 Silvers is a godsend in alternate VP games (Dukes, Silk Road, especially Gardens)
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 12:02:04 am »
+2

Here's a good example of using Steed to gain the Silvers: http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120612-181533-42d95eb2.html

My opponent Kings his Mountebanks twice in a Colony game, and I feel like I am in bad shape. But a lucky paired Tournament gives me Steed. I use it to repeatedly flood my deck with Silver, and I can head straight for Provinces quick. My opponent, who took 4 Curses himself, doesn't have the economy to reach for Colonies and stalls out badly even trying to keep up in Provinces.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 12:03:40 am »
+1

Anyway, I think this function of Steed is quite underrated. Often times by the time you get Steed, your deck is being ravaged by Followers (either with Curses or Estates), and the Silvers really boost the economy, and immediately too.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 12:46:38 am »

Robz and jsh357 are right. Gaining 4 Silvers is nice, but putting your deck in your discard pile and being able to use those Silvers instantly is what makes this choice really handy.

verikt

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +65
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 02:09:08 am »

Yeah, I've done it. In a chapel tournament game, where as soon as we both had provs to show more than one tournament a turn was a dead card.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 08:30:15 am »
+2

Here's a good example of...

I got that far and knew it was the game that we played. 
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +490
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 08:51:15 am »

I did it in a game where I was winning the Tournament race, but my opponent was going for Saboteur. Although the sabotage engine never really took off, I wanted protection for my provinces.

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +766
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 09:35:47 am »

It can also be worth it in few other circumstances:
1. Late game where you know your draw deck is crap and it is worth it just to get back to your other good cards.
2. Late game when you want more payout from an overbuilt engine (e.g. you have steed, council room in hand, and an extra action and no cards in the draw deck/discard); this adds 8 coin to your payout and can put you into range to double or treble province when you otherwise might not be able to do so or it can give you the cash needed to pile out the last two duchies and the last two xroads or such.
3. If you are using TfB heavily, this can provide fodder to keep on using them. For instance, if you've run out of things to use your upgrades on you can grab silvers and keep turning them into engine components (e.g. smithy, farming village, Tr). Apprentice is a big one here, chugging through silvers keeps the apprentice fairly strong and late game you may want to trash a province to draw 4 new shiny silvers and end the game a turn earlier than your opponent suspects.
4. If you are getting mass thief or noble brigandage going against you. Sometimes the desperate play Kc/Thief works and you need a fresh source of payout quick. 4 silvers does that quite nicely, particularly if you are going to draw a bunch with an engine.

Kahryl

• Explorer
  • Respect: +155
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 09:52:09 am »

If you pick +2cards, gain 4 silvers, which one does Isotropic play first? It seems like there's a risk of Steed missing the reshuffle if you pick 4 silvers and there's any card draw afterwards.

carstimon

• Golem
  • Respect: +115
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 10:25:30 am »
+2

They happen in the order listed:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/646328/trusty-steed-order-of-operations

which contrasts pawn.

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +766
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 12:48:59 pm »

If you pick +2cards, gain 4 silvers, which one does Isotropic play first? It seems like there's a risk of Steed missing the reshuffle if you pick 4 silvers and there's any card draw afterwards.

1. The harshness of "missing the reshuffle" is vastly overrated when it comes to engines. If I "miss the reshuffle" and still play in next turn or the turn after - who cares? You have to remember that while steed is nice, playing it later isn't worth more than getting a province now most of the time.
2. Specifically in engines, steed can work really well at juicing the end game. If your draw deck and discard are both empty AND you have more actions/draw then 4 silver is an excellent way to cash out. Yeah it might kill the engine (e.g. menage), but it also means an extra province RIGHT NOW (which may end the game or place the opponent in a mostly lost position).

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 03:57:06 pm »

Reshuffles aren't that bad if you can still draw the components easily next turn.

Reshuffles are bad when you've discarded your crap with Warehouse though.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 04:41:36 pm »

Reshuffles aren't that bad if you can still draw the components easily next turn.

Reshuffles are bad when you've discarded your crap with Warehouse though.

And when you're playing with Hunting Party.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1855
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 09:49:37 pm »
+1

i won with steed for the slivers + gardens before i realized how much better just vetoing tournament is

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +949
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2012, 10:48:08 pm »

I almost always choose the silvers the first time I play the steed. Unless I'm running an engine deck that hates them.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

meow

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2012, 04:29:14 am »

First tournament game I played also had gardens and throne room.  Had just started buying gardens when I won the tournament with a throne room in hand, so throned the steed for 8 silvers and think $4, though may have drawn cards.
meow @ f.ds & BSW
SpaceSquirrel @ IsoTropic
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 20 queries.