Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Lucky Coin  (Read 3064 times)

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
Lucky Coin
« on: July 10, 2012, 03:42:00 am »

I submitted this as a peddler variant in rinkworks' card design contest. It did ok, snagging 10th place, but I am curious to hear more feedback because I'm pretty proud of this card.

Lucky Coin
$6 - Treasure
Worth $1
+1 Buy
--
Immediately begin a new action phase.
+1 Card
+1 Action
--
Rules clarifications:  This card interrupts your buy phase; you begin a new action phase before purchasing anything. This new action phase does not have an inherent action, nor do any remaining actions from the previous action phase carry over to the new action phase. After completing this action phase, the player re-enters their buy phase.

It's a market that can't be drawn dead so essentially gives an extra action, it's a bazaar with a buy. It even has similarities to venture with more flexibility. I wanted a card that could promote engines, and I think this really does. It is pretty ineffective in a draw-your-deck engine unless you really need the buy, obviously, but I think it can really be the glue that holds more fragile engines together and give a kick-start when needed. It could even be decent in big money, allowing you to over-invest in terminals.

I considered a version that limits the number of turns, but nah. It's a $6 card, it can have crazy effects! I still doubt turns will be as long as scrying pool.

I'd love to hear feedback on this card because I put a lot of time and thought into it.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

iangoth

• Spy
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
Re: Lucky Coin
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 06:14:20 am »
+1

I think it's a really neat idea, but it tortures the rules of the game. Maybe you could implement it as an action - reaction?

Lucky Coin
$6 - action - reaction
+1 card
+1 action
+$1
+1 buy
During your action phase, if you have no actions left, you may reveal and play this card.

Maybe this isn't perfect either, but I think this should produce a very similar effect without resorting to secondary action phases partitioned by truncated buy phases.

Autumn

• Swindler
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 07:42:50 am »
+1

This was my favourite of the Peddler variant suggestions. I wanted to see cards that really changed how we approach the game, and this does it perfectly. I always loved how Black Market lets you play treasure in the middle of the turn - because that effect causes you to reassess everything you understood about turn structure and how it applies to the cards - but of course the rest of the Black Market card, namely the black market pile itself, is horrible. So it's great to have that effect in a different and far more interesting card.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 07:56:19 am by Autumn »

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 10:19:15 am »

The version of this idea I play with is this:

Ruined Village
$3 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
--
You may play this during your Action phase even if you have no actions left.

I like it, but this, too, mucks with the game rules a bit, so that is a disadvantage.   (Although I don't believe there are any conflicts yet.)

I think it's really clever and innovative to make this a Treasure card rather than an Action card, because not only does it offer this same sort of anti-dead-drawing mechanic, but it provides a way to play Action cards after Treasure cards, which is something that has great combo potential but is currently only possible with the idiosyncratic Black Market card.

I think there's a real downside to having it cost $6, though.  The core purpose of the card -- that is, what makes it better than a Market, which is itself only an adequate $5 card -- is to finagle a Village effect out of it.   But it's usually not practical to try to build an engine out of a $6 Village (Border Village is an exception because what you're really buying is a $5 engine component with a bonus Village to go along with it).

So I would recommend dropping the coin and the buy so as to be able to reduce the price:

Lucky Coin
$3 - Treasure
Worth $0
Immediately begin a new action phase.
+1 Card
+1 Action

Then the name "Lucky Coin" might not be as appropriate, since it no longer gives you a coin to spend, but I dunno -- who says lucky coins have to have monetary value?

iangoth's suggestion of making it a Reaction card is the cleanest way to make it work within the Dominion rules, but you'd lose the Black Market effect by making it an Action card instead of a Treasure card, which would be unfortunate.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 06:42:54 pm »

Thanks for the feedback! :D

I really like the treasure aspect of it, I was hoping to avoid the "hidden village" idea because I think that's been done a lot before. I like your idea, Rinkworks, of making it worth $0 and having it cost $3. The reason it was worth $1, of course, was so that it fit into the qualifications as a peddler variant. It's also another fun way to exploit tactician!

At one stage of development, this card allowed the player to finish the buy phase before beginning a new action phase. This was problematic for a number of reasons: it could potentially be abused by immediately drawing those purchased cards, it could lead to a single good buy phase followed by a tiny, silly, outpost-esque buy phase, and it would make things take forever. So, I added in the buy and I think it's a good addition. Do you think it could still be $3 with the buy? Maybe not because it's almost strictly better than village.

$6 is a high pricepoint for a card designed to help temperamental engines, I know, but I think just one or two copies could be a big help. But it's pretty different from anything else, so I'm not really sure how it would play. I'd love to playtest it (and rinkworks' version) to see how it ends up being!
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 20 queries.