Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: All this gold and I still can't green effectively, wtf  (Read 1201 times)

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
All this gold and I still can't green effectively, wtf
« on: July 10, 2012, 02:44:09 am »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201207/09/game-20120709-234105-1f51f2bb.html

My opponent bought five Cities that were all pretty much totally useless, while I grabbed a couple early Caches and then managed to flood my deck with Gold using a Mint as well as purchases... but somehow I constantly had trouble getting to 8, never mind 11, while my opponent got Platinums and then Colonies with ease despite the Cities being effectively empty cards that could have been at least Silver. Did the initial extra coppers from Cache really hurt that much? Or was it just bad shuffle luck? What else can I do here? There aren't any real engine pieces.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 02:45:24 am by zahlman »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: All this gold and I still can't green effectively, wtf
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 03:14:33 am »

Yeah, I think the extra copper hurts a lot.  Your opponent trashed down almost all of her(?) Copper and starting Estates while you took on six extra Copper.  On turn 10 I think you should have trashed the two copper with Steward, rather than minting Cache and buying a third Cache.  That is a LOT of Copper diluting your deck.

Although your opponent's Cities are effectively useless, they aren't harmful either.  Her trim deck lets her cycle through to her big treasures quickly.  All your extra Copper and starting Estates just get in the way.  I think the early Cache is fine, but more than that is overkill.  Use the Cache to get to Plat, and try to mint-trash 4-5 Copper asap.  You really, really want Plat.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 07:39:54 am »

You generally don't want a cache if you're going to fight to remove the copper later. The library is a perfectly good drawing card here.

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 12:22:42 am »

Thanks. Reflecting on it, in a Colony game you're generally trying to get 3 of your Golds in hand at a time to get access to the big-ticket items (assuming you don't also have a bunch of Silver, anyway), and a lot of Gold + a lot of Copper = still not that great of a Gold density. And with Steward being the best drawing available, while it's also needed for trashing... yeah. Ugh. Oh, right, Library. I guess I should pick one or two of those up... and then after playing turn 10 as suggested, buy Silver instead of a second Steward, probably wouldn't need a second one at all hmm?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 12:26:22 am by zahlman »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 20 queries.