Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How many cards have you drawn from Tacticians in one turn?  (Read 4669 times)

fp

• Thief
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
How many cards have you drawn from Tacticians in one turn?
« on: July 07, 2012, 04:27:57 pm »

I've just gotten back into Isotropic, and this is something that I was curious about.

(It is possible to draw from more than one Tactician in one turn. However, I will leave it as an exercise to the readers to determine how it is done.)

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
Re: How many cards have you drawn from Tacticians in one turn?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 04:33:33 pm »

I think most experienced players already know how this is done as it has been covered before.

I've never run into the combination, I think, so my answer is................5!

A search on Councilroom with my name and the required components turned up....0 results. :(
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 04:38:57 pm by Davio »

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 04:54:35 pm »

In a real game, I don't think I've ever done more than one. As a puzzle, at one point someone posted a solitaire log of themselves playing all 10 tacticians in one turn.

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +766
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 04:59:37 pm »

The only time I've done golem(tac, draw) -> tac was in a jester game with real cards. I took the golem and a 3rd tac from the opponent (I was running double tac with a lot of jesters to steal cards & junk their deck).

I can't imagine that it would ever be worth setting up a slow and convoluted gambit like that directly.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 08:32:07 pm »

I played 2 activated tacticians in one turn in a real isotropic game!

It took so long to setup, I lost the game, though :(.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 08:37:40 pm »
+1

In a real game, I don't think I've ever done more than one. As a puzzle, at one point someone posted a solitaire log of themselves playing all 10 tacticians in one turn.
Yes, that was my challenge!  :) Anyway, Dondon got all Tacticians in play in one turn in this log.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 12:14:48 am »
+1

I think most experienced players already know how this is done as it has been covered before.

Common Questions (from the FAQ)
Strategy, Game Play, and Rules
  • Yes, it is technically possible to play two tacticians in one turn. (1,2,3,4,5,6)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 01:42:08 pm by greatexpectations »
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

katyaschweiz

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
MILITIA VS TACTICIAN
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2017, 11:16:30 am »

hello everyone,

i just started playing Dominion this month. Does anyone know "when" the player is supposed to draw out the +5 cards after playing the Tactician? Do you draw the additional 5 cards ONLY when it is your turn to play or you are supposed to draw 10 cards at once already? I am asking because we played it together with the Seaside edition. Im not sure what is the rule when it is played with MILITIA. If I play the Militia against the other player after he played Tactician during his turn, will he lose only 2 cards or will he lose 7?

What is the rule? :) thanks
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 11:20:34 am by katyaschweiz »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: MILITIA VS TACTICIAN
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2017, 11:38:31 am »
+1

hello everyone,

i just started playing Dominion this month. Does anyone know "when" the player is supposed to draw out the +5 cards after playing the Tactician? Do you draw the additional 5 cards ONLY when it is your turn to play or you are supposed to draw 10 cards at once already? I am asking because we played it together with the Seaside edition. Im not sure what is the rule when it is played with MILITIA. If I play the Militia against the other player after he played Tactician during his turn, will he lose only 2 cards or will he lose 7?

What is the rule? :) thanks

You draw your normal 5 cards at the end of your turn, and you get the Tactician effect at the start of your next turn, as it says on the card. As a rule of thumb, cards do literally exactly what's written on them.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

sorawotobu

• Spy
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2017, 12:26:43 pm »
+6

my answer is................5!

It is in fact possible to draw 5! cards from Tacticians at the start of one turn in a two player game. That's kind of funny.

One way to do it is to put the +Card token on Tactician, play a Tactician and then call 9 Royal Carriages and 14 Estates (thanks Ambassador!) after Inheriting Royal Carriage.

//edit: I didn't realize this thread was necroed.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 12:37:18 pm by sorawotobu »

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2017, 12:39:35 pm »

It is in fact possible to draw 5! cards from Tacticians at the start of one turn in a two player game. That's kind of funny.

One way to do it is to put the +Card token on Tactician, play a Tactician and then call 9 Royal Carriages and 14 Estates (thanks Ambassador!) after Inheriting Royal Carriage.

You could also just play King's Court on Tactician before calling 9 Royal Carriages and 11 Estates. Or just play 8x KC 8x Tactician all with +Card.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

sorawotobu

• Spy
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2017, 01:29:11 pm »

You could also just play King's Court on Tactician before calling 9 Royal Carriages and 11 Estates. Or just play 8x KC 8x Tactician all with +Card.

Of course you can use King's Court to reduce the number of Carriages required by 2 (not 3), but does multiple King's Courts work? You're assuming cards on Tac not Court, right? Can you explain in detail how you manage to play all those Tacticians and have each one discard at least one card? I think one of us is confused about how this works.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2017, 01:46:44 pm »
+1

You could also play Golem, revealing KC and Lab, play KC's first, playing Tactician from your hand three times (with the +1 card token on tactician), then play the Lab, drawing Golem and Tactician, then repeat.

Sorawotobu, you don't need Ambassador to have 14 estates in your deck :)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 01:49:30 pm by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Erick648

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +628
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2017, 01:41:56 am »
+3

In a 2-player game, respecting the 3-pile rule, I can get as high as 255 (51 Tactician plays):

Kingdom: Black Market (containing Masquerade, Throne Room; or those can just be in the Kingdom since there's room), Highway (or other cost reducer), Royal Carriage, Tactician, Hireling (or other duration draw), King's Court, Prince, Inheritance, Pathfinding

Empty Piles: Prince, Tactician

In play: Hireling x9
Set aside: Prince x10 with King's Court x9 (courtesy of Highway) and Throne Room x1; Royal Carriage with Inheritance
Tokens: +Card on Tactician, Inheritance with Royal Carriage
Tavern Mat: Royal Carriage x8, Estate x13 (7 from the Supply, 6 starting Estates courtesy of Masquerade)
Hand: Tactician

Start of Turn:
1. Resolve Prince A, playing King's Court A, playing Tactician A three times (drawing a card each time with Pathfinding to discard with Tactician). (Total plays: 3)
2. Resolve Hireling A, drawing Tactician B.
3. Repeat 1-2 eight more times. (Total plays: 27)
4. Resolve Prince J, playing Throne Room, playing Tactician J twice. (Total plays: 29)
5. Call all of the Royal Carriages and Estates, playing Tactician J twenty-two more times. (Total plays 51)

Next turn, you draw 255 cards from your 51 Tactician plays.

You can get even more with Procession and Lurker/Graverobber/Rogue (for example, replace Throne Room with Procession, use some Caravans or something to draw a Lurker and a cantrip, then during your Action phase use Lurker to get the trashed Tactician back, draw it with the cantrip, and play it), but I haven't optimized it.

Edit: Overlord could also help here.  Or instead of Kinging/Throning/Processioning the Tacticians directly, Throne a Vassal/Herald and have it hit King's Court (or Procession) for the Tacticians.  I bet you could get a really high number with an elaborate enough setup, using Prince-based chains to play most of the Tacticians at the start of your turn where you can use any number of Durations (or Guide) to get more cards after discarding with Tactician.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 01:56:27 am by Erick648 »
Duplicate duplicates Duplicates duplicate Duplicates duplicate.

Rene Descartes taught me to believe in myself.

How much Loot could a Looter loot if a Looter could loot Loot?

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2017, 09:27:56 pm »

Edit: Overlord could also help here.
What would you be intending to play Overlord as? Playing it as Tactician wouldn't be as useful as it might be, since that wouldn't trigger the +1 Card token on the Tactician pile.

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +766
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2017, 10:21:51 am »
+1

You can play an infinite number of Tacticians, just set up a chain of Kc -> Herald -> Tac -> Cultist -> Pship. Pship generates large amounts of cash. Then end your action phase. Buy Tfair & Bonfire, trash all your actions (draw from Cultist), buy a Villa. Now use Kc -> Grobber to gain back your cards and replay them, hitting every card again. Next cycle, use an Amb to return two Villas. If needed, use Lurker to regain more cards. Regain Kc by using Ferry.

If your opponent has down a Lighthouse, you can go to infinity with this loop.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2017, 12:36:23 pm »

It seems to me that your technique breaks down into two "modules":
  • Bonfire + Villa combo lets you send a turn infinite
  • KC + Herald combo lets you bring more actions into hand and play them after playing Tactician
The first part is, I think, a unique combo? Bonfire is the only thing that lets you trash from play, and Villa is the only thing that lets you return to your action phase after buying Bonfire.

There are lots of alternative techniques for the other part, though. Herald, Golem, +1 Card token...

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2017, 12:45:34 pm »

It seems to me that your technique breaks down into two "modules":
The first part is, I think, a unique combo? Bonfire is the only thing that lets you trash from play, and Villa is the only thing that lets you return to your action phase after buying Bonfire.
Usually, Playing Crown and gaining Mandarin to topdeck cards from play achieves the same thing.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2017, 02:27:31 pm »
+4

The question was not "How many cards can you drawn from Tacticians in one turn?" it was "How many cards have you drawn from Tacticians in one turn?"

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2017, 06:35:01 pm »
+1

The question was not "How many cards can you drawn from Tacticians in one turn?" it was "How many cards have you drawn from Tacticians in one turn?"

But which is more interesting?
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 20 queries.