Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Frustrated  (Read 2542 times)

Eagle

• Baron
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
Frustrated
« on: July 20, 2011, 11:27:03 am »

I wish I could figure out what my problem is..  The last 4 days I've consistently lost to pretty much everyone.  Level 0 or level 40 doesn't seem to matter.  I've dropped from 25 to 21, and lost to several low level players this morning, so I'm sure I'll be 20 or 19 by tomorrow...

I'm not frustrated because I'm losing, that happens...  what's frustrating is that I can't figure out a good reason *why*.  Obviously I've changed something about the way I'm playing for the worse, I just can't pinpoint what it is.

painted_cow

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
Re: Frustrated
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 11:43:47 am »

Sometimes you just have a downswing. That also happens to topplayers. Didnt theory lost like 9 levels in some days? Losing up to 5 levels in few days is easily possible. Maybe take a isotropic free day. Then maybe reevaluate? your game and start again. Good Luck!

tko

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 11:47:28 am »

I've dropped from level 31 to 24 before.  I've learned not to pay to much attention to my level as it fluctuates.  I think 31 is likely near my skill ceiling and maybe 22 is my skill floor or something, but whatever it is, just don't focus too much on it.  The other day my opponent got a 5/2 start on a board where I could open Potion/Silver and I got 8 of the 10 Alchemists.  Sometimes luck goes your way - sometimes it doesn't.  The game swings like painted_cow said.

DsnowMan

• Bishop
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 08:23:03 pm »

I went from 30 to 18 (i'm back up a bit). Let it go, man. The Zen of Dominion is to enjoy the challenge of the game, not to fret over how good some goofy algorithm says you are.

As for evaluating and improving your game, maybe you are missing good combos, or trying too elaborate ones. Maybe you are in a rut where you are either grabbing duchies too early, or not grabbing enough. Mix things up.

Or get outside, it's hot out!

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 08:52:34 pm »

Don't worry too much. You start by being unlucky, and then you start getting anxious, and then you make wrong decisions, and then you blame the bad luck, then you lose concentration, then you misclick, then you lose your awareness, and occasionally your opponent might even play well. Anyway, so just keep your focus, think through the kingdom cards rather than relying on short cuts and assumptions, and keep an eye on the points. It'll come good again.

Axe Knight

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 11:02:02 pm »

Whenever I'm on a losing streak (or a standstill as I currently am), I play with abandon on another screen name.  This way, I'm less nervous about choosing the wrong cards or f'ing up.  Not that I'm that nervous to begin with, it's just that when I'm not playing on my main name, I do things I wouldn't normally do, and there's something about doing this that mixes things up.  Then, once I feel like I've shaken the dust off, I'll come back to Axe Knight.   
An Axe Knight draws near!  Command?

Arya Stark

• Navigator
  • the things i do for dominion.....
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 04:15:16 pm »

I go thru losing streaks all the time, i think my prob is sometimes i play too fast, buying cards i think are good instead of looking at the whole board first, or i misplay a turn then get mad at myself for rest of the game, making more mistakes.

Eagle

• Baron
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 05:08:55 pm »

I had a lvl 1 player apologize to me yesterday for playing slow because he hadn't seen many of the cards that were in play...

Then I got completely demolished by the guy.  Ouch, I probably deserved to drop 2 levels after that, guess I should be glad I only lost one more.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 20 queries.