Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Mint Fail  (Read 4941 times)

Raeven

• Herbalist
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Mint Fail
« on: June 15, 2011, 10:44:13 am »

Not that anybody needs to be told this, but don't Mint away five coppers on turn 3 if you haven't bought any coins or coin producing actions yet.  I spent the next couple of turns minting to reproduce coppers before I could even buy a silver.  I've never resigned a game before, but came close on that one.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
Re: Mint Fail
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 10:59:09 am »

What did you buy on the first two turns that didn't give you any money?

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 11:44:33 am »

I know that you said turn 3, but another epic fail is the turn 1 or 2 mint without any usable 2-cost cards. I myself made that mistake in my first mint game with a 5/2 start without something like lighthouse, embargo or pawn for their 2-cost card.  That early trashing just seems so good...
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 03:19:24 pm »

Secret Chamber is also a good one. It barely gets noticed because it doesn't show +$. It's a guaranteed 4 coins when it comes up (and with 7 cards in your deck, that's a good bet). Grab a couple of silvers, and you're on your way.
A man has no signature

Raeven

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 04:51:24 pm »

First two turns were shanty town / potion.  ST was the only card on the board with +action or +cards.  I thought I was going to thin out the deck and chain ST (as a poor man's city) while avoiding most of the other actions.  I just thinned out too quick.  The potion purchase was also a mistake (going after golem). 

drg

• Spy
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 07:07:33 pm »

I've seen people open potion with golem as the only potion card on the board a lot lately and just don't get it...
Your chances of drawing 4 + potion are quite low at turns 3/4, and even if you succeed, you don't have any actions in your deck when you play it.

Reyk

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 08:30:32 am »

I myself made that mistake in my first mint game with a 5/2 start without something like lighthouse, embargo or pawn for their 2-cost card.

I'm not sure if first turn mint + pawn works. Even if you draw your pawn say with estate, estate, copper, mint turn 3 and than don't draw the copper with your +1 card/+1 money you are stucked at 2 and bying more pawns makes it difficult to choose the correct options for future pawns. I haven't tried embargo or lighthouse yet but failed miserably with pawn and with copper as the second buy.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 12:54:23 pm »

I myself made that mistake in my first mint game with a 5/2 start without something like lighthouse, embargo or pawn for their 2-cost card.

I'm not sure if first turn mint + pawn works. Even if you draw your pawn say with estate, estate, copper, mint turn 3 and than don't draw the copper with your +1 card/+1 money you are stucked at 2 and bying more pawns makes it difficult to choose the correct options for future pawns. I haven't tried embargo or lighthouse yet but failed miserably with pawn and with copper as the second buy.
Just did it, and didn't get the $3 turn 3. It was not great but not SO horrible. You don't want to do it if you have another good option, but if there are no other 5s, no great 4s, it's a decently viable strategy. (I won the game against a not-so-great opponent).

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
  • First to 5000 Isotropic wins
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 08:41:04 pm »

I know that you said turn 3, but another epic fail is the turn 1 or 2 mint without any usable 2-cost cards. I myself made that mistake in my first mint game with a 5/2 start without something like lighthouse, embargo or pawn for their 2-cost card.  That early trashing just seems so good...

I've seen people open potion with golem as the only potion card on the board a lot lately and just don't get it...
Your chances of drawing 4 + potion are quite low at turns 3/4, and even if you succeed, you don't have any actions in your deck when you play it.

Yeah, newbie traps both.  I think everyone has to get burned at least once to learn not to do either.
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>
<b>IsoDom1 Winner:  shark_bait
IsoDom2 Winner: Rabid
Isodom3 Winner: Fabian</b>
Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatári, Utúlie'n auré!

Randal FTW

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 01:23:41 pm »

yea i mighta opened copper/mint on a 5/2 board when i first started playing  ::)

took me till like hand 6 to get anything. good times!
With No Power Comes No Responsibility

Silverback

• Steward
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 09:55:37 am »

I once opened Mint/Chapel when I was new to the interface (misreading Mint for Mine). Not realizing what was going on I even kept trashing Estates and coppers with chapel until I drew less than 5 Cards.
Once I realized that this was not a Mine, but a Mint, I bought some Coppers, then Silvers and a Salvager to win the game.
I think Chapel/Mint is possibly not as bad as it seems.

Superdad

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 02:59:04 pm »

If you have a chapel, what the heck do you even need mint for?

This is bananas.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.