Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Duke-Duchy in Colony Game  (Read 1318 times)

nopawnsintended

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +186
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Duke-Duchy in Colony Game
« on: July 05, 2012, 10:34:11 am »

I didn't mean to take this route, but I felt behind in the game when my opponent had two golds by turn 6, and started venturing for Colonies.  So, I loaded up on Expands, lucked into a couple of Colonies, and churned out as many duchies and dukes as I could.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201207/05/game-20120705-071318-fad42f98.html

I feel like my opponent could have easily beaten me by softly contesting Duchies (by my count, 3 would have done it), but I'm not sure if that would have hurt his ability to get the 5 Colonies he actually got.

tdavidsm

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
Re: Duke-Duchy in Colony Game
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 11:23:51 am »

I think it was his constant buying of silvers that slowed him down.  He's diluting his deck, making it take longer to get back to his big money cards, and making his ventures less likely to chain. 

Someone once posted on here that they thought you should minimize your silver buys on Colony games because they slow you down too much.  I've followed that advice ever since, and it has seemed to work well for me.  Silvers are very different in Colony games because even with a hand full of them, you can't buy your target, where as in a Province game, it only takes 4 to get what you're going for.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 06:19:06 pm »
+2

Generally, duchy/duke is not preferable in a colony game because Dukes can only max out at 8 points. Colonies get you 10, and you can manage some provicnes for extra points as well. The problem here, well, is that your opponent did not play very well and let the game go on way too long. 36 turns. There's no way it should have taken that long. Expand further favors Colonies because you can speed up the end game, keeping the duke player from really ramping up the duke points.

And if WW was around he'd tell you silver is not that bad in colony money game, and it's not. Really you never reach the point where you no longer want silver in a colony money game.

nopawnsintended

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +186
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 06:52:54 pm »

The problem here, well, is that your opponent did not play very well and let the game go on way too long. 36 turns. There's no way it should have taken that long.

I agree.  It was desperation that drove me to the duchies in this one.  I certainly didn't expect to win, even after getting all of the dukes and duchies.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 20 queries.