Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Talking  (Read 4525 times)

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
Talking
« on: July 05, 2012, 04:53:44 am »

I love this. (Inspired by the talking puzzle)
My Dominion games come with a lot of talking.
"Lab, Lab, City, City, Monument, that's one VP under the belt. ok... Uhhhmmmm, Vault, discard these 12 Cards for +$12, do I have any +buy? Oh...hmmmm....maybe not..... ok, Tactician and buy a Province. Your turn." Does anyone else talk while they play Dominion?
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
Re: Talking
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 04:59:15 am »

I hope you're only talking in real life or when you're recording. ;)

I don't talk as much as you I guess, but I call out every card I play as I think it's a decent thing to do. Don't try to be sneaky by playing cards silently.

I also remind (new) players when I play a card like Vault that they can discard as well or when I play a Bishop that they can trash for free and get nothing. Of course, I also remind them when they have to gain a Curse and I'm more than happy to hand the Curses to them.  ;D

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 05:01:58 am »
+2

Erm, you'd be surprised.  :)

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 05:15:25 am »

:o

I can't do that while I'm at work, so I just generally don't do it.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 05:17:25 am »

:o

I can't do that while I'm at work, so I just generally don't do it.
I do talk sometimes when playing on iso, yes.  :-[

Mad, I tell you.

Rhombus

• Bishop
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 09:11:19 pm »

I'd say my IRL games are fairly conversation-heavy.  One of our favorite lines is while waiting for your opponent to decide how to use his/her buy(s): "Buy a curse, buy a curse!"  General smack-talk is also commonplace.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 05:00:23 am »
+1

I'd say my IRL games are fairly conversation-heavy.  One of our favorite lines is while waiting for your opponent to decide how to use his/her buy(s): "Buy a curse, buy a curse!"  General smack-talk is also commonplace.

Do you ever successfully convince them to buy a Curse?

yudantaiteki

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +167
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 10:30:08 am »

I do that over Iso too when I play with my college friends and skype at the same time.  Also if people are thinking about their opening for a while, it's common to suggest a odd opening (or just curse/curse).

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 02:23:59 pm »
+1

I never succeed.

But I want to make sure that my opponents know all of their options, so I often point out that they can buy a Copper or Curse with an extra buy. They can decide for themselves whether they want to do it. I like to be complete like that.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 08:32:38 pm »

I never succeed.

But I want to make sure that my opponents know all of their options, so I often point out that they can buy a Copper or Curse with an extra buy. They can decide for themselves whether they want to do it. I like to be complete like that.
+1 to you, sir. I have never convinced them to buy curses either, or reveal Traders to gain Silvers instead of Colonies or trash them with Watchtower either. Also, I can't seem to convince them make themselves misclick. Huh.

Mad, I tell you.

yudantaiteki

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +167
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 09:25:57 pm »

I never succeed.

It has the element of surprise -- if you open curse/curse it will throw the opponents off their game so much you might get a psychological victory.

Rhombus

• Bishop
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 01:47:00 am »

In one game, yes.  My friend's engine wasn't so great, but he swore that buying multiple curses throughout the game would enable him to pass them to me with his ambassadors.  I ended up with 1 and him with 4/5.  It was such a moot point too, attempting this around turn 12.

We're a fun group, so it's typically just one of many running gags.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2012, 11:45:27 am »

We joke in our group about how another player could play a Curse. We are even willing to bend the rules and say, "Hell, we'll even let you buy two Curses! Maybe a Copper and Curse."

We're so used to joking about that, we forget that newbies don't quite get the joke.

"You could buy a Curse."
"Really? Is that a good plan."
"God, no. It's a terrible plan. Don't listen to us."
A man has no signature

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2012, 12:57:11 pm »

If someone's taking a long time what to buy, we also say "Hey, I've recently heard buying a Curse is a really good move. You should try that." or something like that.

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 06:51:17 pm »

I often play while talking to people on skype who are not themselves playing. They know it's what I'm doing because they hear me swear when a game starts going badly.
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 20 queries.