Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11  All

Author Topic: I will try to post a game here every day.  (Read 121931 times)

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
Re: I will try to post a game here every day.
« Reply #75 on: July 23, 2012, 02:19:00 pm »

Two Familiars is enough. I would probably have gone with some hand-size increasers to get all those silvers together and buy Provinces.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 23, 2012, 04:29:51 pm »

This kingdom could be tricky. For the game as played I suspect that you could have skipped familiars altogether and used traders to collect silver. That would normally create enough early treasure to win before a familiar deck gears up. However there is a complication here with fairgrounds since the game might extend, bringing the familiars and cities into play with some interest in all the other kingdom cards too.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 24, 2012, 02:36:04 am »

With the deck full of Silver (and Curses), the Minion is more or less a Silver (+1action+2$), with the option of attacking and getting a new 4-card hand if it the Minion hand is real crap. But most of the time you will want to take the $2. Activated Cities is probably the better call, you deny them to your opponent, and +2action+2cards is probably worth more than $2.  Adventurer can really be nice here, as it's almost guaranteed $4.

Tombolo

• Tactician
  • Respect: +450
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 25, 2012, 01:39:06 am »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201207/24/game-20120724-082004-9667375b.html

What I went for: Hamlet/FG with other stuff
What he went for: Ghost Ship/Hamlet

Bleh, this is one of those that I won but I am pretty sure I got lucky.  The idea here was to rush with FG, using Hamlet and Oasis to cycle the deck and get them together, picking up buy and stuff as necessary.  My opponent ran Ghost Ship, which I figured wouldn't hurt FG too bad since I could almost Haven them together, but he ran more of them than I expected, so I wound up with a whoooole lotta three-card hands.  Three-card hands don't work great with discard-for-benefit, for the record.  I was able to pick up FG pretty quickly thanks to Hamlet, but his double Smugglers let him split with me, leaving me with a decidedly mediocre deck with even more problems due to Ghost Ship.  I was somehow able to eke out a win, but not before he came dangerously close.

-Hamlet, Spice Merchant, Herbalist, and to a lesser extent Oasis all seem like decent enablers for FG.  If we throw out Ghost Ship, was I wrong about that?
-His Smugglers let him keep up with my FG spam and it kinda ruined my day to only take 5.  Was it worth it for him, though?
-This...was not a good Ghost Ship counter deck, was it?  Would Hamlet/Vineyard have been better?
-Were Herbalist and Spice Merchant even that helpful for what I was trying to do here?  They didn't seem to be but on paper they looked like good additions. 
-Did I want more Ghost Ships maybe?
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2012, 01:54:43 am »

You should almost always open Smugglers in FG. Even 1st player.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 25, 2012, 02:47:50 am »

Not so sure about that, Mogrim...  Isn't Spice Merchant is a better enabler?

But if you were going to go FG, winning the split is really nice, so you should have tried to rush them. The Oasis does not help you get more FG, so save it until the FG are gone. Same with the Herbalist. Open spice merchant/FG, rush FG until they're gone.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 02:49:07 am by ftl »

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 25, 2012, 02:51:52 am »

Seems like a great vineyards board, by the way. Hamlet, Ghost Ship, Pawn, Herbalist... lots of cheap actions.

Letting your opponent get all 10 FG would probably let them rush provinces too fast, especially with the copper trashing of spice merchant, but after you split the FG maybe it's worth it to get a potion and stock up on boatloads of hamlets and pawns for superpowering vineyards?

I'm no good at judging whether vineyards are worth it, but I'd guess they'd do well here. FG would have a hard time getting to 8 provinces because the FGs get split up, and if you don't get any provinces, they can't be trashed for gold.

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 25, 2012, 02:53:35 am »

Where by "get 1 potion" I think I mean "get 2". Or more - they're trashable with spice merchants? 2 is probably enough?

Your opponent got his one vineyard  to be a 5-point vineyard - if he had skipped provinces entirely and gotten more potions, he could have gotten his multiple vineyards to be worth more than provinces easily.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 25, 2012, 03:08:50 am »

Not so sure about that, Mogrim...  Isn't Spice Merchant is a better enabler?

But if you were going to go FG, winning the split is really nice, so you should have tried to rush them. The Oasis does not help you get more FG, so save it until the FG are gone. Same with the Herbalist. Open spice merchant/FG, rush FG until they're gone.
Both work,and arguably Spice Merchan is better, but it requires more luck. In order to pull off a 2 FG hand, yur hand must have three copper and a Spice Merchant. Exactly like Familiar. With Smugglers, you do not get rid of a copper, but you can pull off the 2 FG hand with alot less luck required.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

DG

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 25, 2012, 07:05:26 am »

I'd stick to roughly the way you played it but without the herbalist and with a second ghost ship before buying gold.

Tombolo

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 27, 2012, 04:38:27 am »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201207/27/game-20120727-012817-3fcb4004.html

What I went for: POTION CARDS
What he went for: Possession/Double Tac
What I wound up with: I don't even know.

This was an incredibly weird game because Possession.  Familiar and Golem (and in some cases Tac) made for a nice Possession counterdeck, but...that didn't seem to stop either of us from fighting for Possessions.  A whole bunch of weirdness ensues, and despite my propensity to play his Golems and hit Familiar/Tac and his propensity to possess me 2-3 times a turn, I won by a pair of curses.

-Really just one big question here....what do I do?  I feel like Golem/Familiar/Tac/Possession is enough of a liability for Possession that I might've been smarter to just ignore Possession, pick up more Golems and Familiars, and maybe try to run double tac or BM/Golem/Double Familiar or something.  Or maybe could I have just skipped Potions and tried to rush with BM/Tac/Labs before he could do much damage?
-Twice, I hit Tac/Familiar with a Possessed Golem.  I probably shouldn't have played his Golems, huh?
-How does one approach durations with Possession out?  On one hand, a Tactician turn is begging to be Possessed, but on the other hand, it's a dead card for your opponent.  Or Caravan has its own issues.  Does Possession make them less desirable?  ....More?
-Turn 5 I bought Gold over Tac, knowing I had a Feast coming.  Good idea?  Bad idea?  Unimportant?
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 27, 2012, 04:47:13 am »

Golem is pretty dangerous in Tac.
I would have gone for Golems, Possessions, Tacticians, and Faimiliar at the beginning. Nix the other cards. Play as many Poss as possible.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 04:49:18 am by Morgrim7 »

Mad, I tell you.

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
  • Respect: +235
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 27, 2012, 04:59:09 am »

I'd think Embargo would be key.
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 27, 2012, 05:01:00 am »

-How does one approach durations with Possession out?  On one hand, a Tactician turn is begging to be Possessed, but on the other hand, it's a dead card for your opponent.  Or Caravan has its own issues.  Does Possession make them less desirable?  ....More?

Durations become less desirable.  For the example of Tactician, while possessed it's a dead card, but if the Tactician turn is possessed it was more than a dead card on your last turn: you played it for something close to "discard your hand, your opponents get +5 cards, +1 Action, +1 Buy", which is terrible.  Caravan isn't as bad, but is still less useful in the presence of Possession than it usually is.

This is less pronounced for cards like Fishing Village which have enough immediate utility that your opponent will sometimes play them for you.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 27, 2012, 05:12:44 am »

I'd think Embargo would be key.
Uhh, no it wouldn't. Familiar is on the board.

Mad, I tell you.

DG

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 27, 2012, 07:52:14 am »

Yes, you shouldn't have played a golem on a possession turn. This kingdom has massive drawing power and you can pretty much expect the endgame to have possessions drawn and played regularly. Golem is the best possession defense here so you pretty much want golems, possessions, and drawing power. If the opponent follows suit then the game will grind out on curses, duchies, and estates.

Caravans are pretty even when it comes to possession : card for me, card for you. Tacticians are not even since only a possessor knows whether they are taking the next turn. Maybe you needed one tactician to get the best start before it became a handicap, perhaps not, hard to say. I don't think you needed quite so much gold since your opponent was spending it as often as you were. Labs were a good alternative.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 07:53:58 am by DG »

Tombolo

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 27, 2012, 12:43:11 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201207/27/game-20120727-091659-9c61dacd.html

What I went for: Witch/Scheme/Governor
What he went for: Looks like a bit of everything, but mostly Governor/Ghost Ship
What I got: Horribly, horribly destroyed

I tried to slingshot to Witch quickly via.....Spice Merchant and Scheme, which admittedly probably isn't the fastest route, but I wanted to be able to spit out Curses quickly once I picked up Witch, and that seemed a good way to get there.  He got Witch on Turn 3, and I had to wait until 7, and it only went downhill from there.  He was able to assemble a killer Governor/Ghost Ship combo and hit it rather frequently, while I was still trying to hit Witch/Scheme.

-The opening obviously didn't work out.  I didn't want Swindler with Witch out, but...what do?  Spice Merchant/Silver?  Silver/Silver?  Swindler anyway?
-Ghost Ship really picked me apart here.  Did I want one earlier over Witch or Governor or Gold or something?  I tried to put together my own Gov/GS combo, but I got it far too late to make a difference.
-I didn't actually want those Hamlets against Ghost Ship, did I?
-Might Venture have helped at some point?

DWetzel

• Conspirator
  • The Human Edge Case
  • Respect: +272
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 27, 2012, 01:12:02 pm »

Governor/Ghost Ship/Hamlets is really really really (insert more "really"s) strong here.  Hamlets give you the +action in case you need to Ghost Ship a Governor, and the +buy to take advantage of 9001 coin in hand.

I guess you almost have to take one witch (though maybe Swindler would do the cursing job early and provide coin?) just on principle, but it's not the cornerpiece of anything.  Draw 92 cards, Ghost Ship opponent to 3 (though with enough of their own Governors, maybe that's not as much of an issue), Hamlet away the chaff, buy everything.  With sufficient Governors you can even power through the Curses (Hamlet fodder), though I wouldn't want to try to get sufficient Governors.

I definitely like Swindler over Scheme in the opening, and it's not even close.  I really even like Silver over Scheme early -- it's not as though you have anything awesome to Scheme yet, and getting to $5 has to be a super priority.   

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 27, 2012, 01:24:40 pm »

Opening with Scheme is just slightly better than opening with Throne Room. Both require other actions to be worth getting, but Scheme isn't just a dead weight when it doesn't collide.

DWetzel

• Conspirator
  • The Human Edge Case
  • Respect: +272
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 27, 2012, 01:36:56 pm »

Possibly controversial opinion: when you get to $5, buy a Governor first, then a Witch next time?

DG

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 27, 2012, 04:12:31 pm »

Your opponent played a reasonable game here so you can use that as a baseline.

Putting scheme and spice merchant together at the start just ran you into trouble. The spice merchant destroys your initial treasures, the scheme makes it destroy them a little faster, you can expect curses to come into your deck, and there's no sign of 5 coins to buy a witch.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1855
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 28, 2012, 11:01:48 am »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201207/27/game-20120727-091659-9c61dacd.html

What I went for: Witch/Scheme/Governor
What he went for: Looks like a bit of everything, but mostly Governor/Ghost Ship
What I got: Horribly, horribly destroyed

I tried to slingshot to Witch quickly via.....Spice Merchant and Scheme, which admittedly probably isn't the fastest route, but I wanted to be able to spit out Curses quickly once I picked up Witch, and that seemed a good way to get there.  He got Witch on Turn 3, and I had to wait until 7, and it only went downhill from there.  He was able to assemble a killer Governor/Ghost Ship combo and hit it rather frequently, while I was still trying to hit Witch/Scheme.

-The opening obviously didn't work out.  I didn't want Swindler with Witch out, but...what do?  Spice Merchant/Silver?  Silver/Silver?  Swindler anyway?
-Ghost Ship really picked me apart here.  Did I want one earlier over Witch or Governor or Gold or something?  I tried to put together my own Gov/GS combo, but I got it far too late to make a difference.
-I didn't actually want those Hamlets against Ghost Ship, did I?
-Might Venture have helped at some point?

Spice Merchant is overrated. The problem is that while it's much better than Moneylender later in the game, Spice Merchant is terrible at getting you to five money (it's like the anti-horse-traders). In this game, it's absolutely essential to get five money quickly and often.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 28, 2012, 12:00:28 pm »

Spice Merchant is overrated. The problem is that while it's much better than Moneylender later in the game, Spice Merchant is terrible at getting you to five money (it's like the anti-horse-traders). In this game, it's absolutely essential to get five money quickly and often.

I would still gladly open Spice Merchant with a power $5 in the kingdom if there is engine potential; it just means that my other opening buy has to be some sort of Silver equivalent.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 28, 2012, 06:49:27 pm »

That game looked frustratuing. I think it was mostly due to bad luck, i.e. him getting two Witches before you got any. Other than that, I would have opened Swindler instead of Sillver…

Mad, I tell you.

Tombolo

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 29, 2012, 10:12:51 am »

I have been playing tons of interesting games offline or on the other site with variant cards!  I hit 20 briefly, which I think might be a first, so thanks for the continued help, and if I actually manage to get an interesting isotropic log I will still be posting it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11  All

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 21 queries.