Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11  All

Author Topic: I will try to post a game here every day.  (Read 121963 times)

Tombolo

• Tactician
  • Respect: +450
    • View Profile
Re: I will try to post a game here every day.
« Reply #225 on: November 17, 2012, 11:04:25 pm »

This was a super fun deck to run.  I won decisively, but I still want feedback.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201211/15/game-20121115-214840-6baf556b.html

What I went for: IW/Vineyard/Warehouse
What he went for: Tournament/Minion

A pretty straightforward engine, and my opponent and I didn't clash for any of my key cards.  I rushed the IW, picking up a few Potions on the way.  I then grabbed as many Warehouses and Spies as I could while waiting to pile out Vineyards.  It took a while to get rolling, but was fairly unstoppable once it did!

-Since I wasn't rushing Gardens or Silk Roads or anything else IW could gain, getting 9 IW before doing much else was a good idea, right?
-How many Potions, and when?  I didn't drain Vineyard as fast as I'd hoped.
-What's your choice for third pile?  I figured Warehouse would help me find IW and Potion the best, but Spy might have also worked well, and doesn't reduce handsize.  I figured Pearl Diver was too weak, and the benefits of Tournament didn't merit the risk of getting blocked in late game.
-Skip coins, right?  I know I didn't have much use for $ with this deck but it feels weird, man.
-I know the board had a good setup for it, but IW/Vineyard did really well I feel.  How much of it was due to being a strong combo, and how much was just the board/shuffle luck/my opponent?
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 17, 2012, 11:37:19 pm »

Based on your opponent's openings, he probably isn't pursuing the same strategy as you (and as it turns out, he did not).  Also, you are mostly getting your action cards via Ironworks.  Therefore I think it's a decent idea to pick up a potion early.  Not sure about the second potion, but even just the one early might be good enough.

I agree that Ironworks is the first priority -- take them until the pile is gone.  After that, Warehouse is a fine idea to cycle for IW and Potion more often.  Definitely avoid Tournament.  Since you are not going Province, you don't derive max benefit and they WILL be blocked often.  You don't need the coin anyway.  Spies vs. Pearl Diver depends on whether you want to pile out quickly or get more action cards to pump up Vineyards.  Choose PD if you want to pile faster because you can also buy those with $2 much of the time.  Spies are fine if you want to go for both and grab more actions overall.  The attack from Spies isn't all that great, though possibly you can use it to clear off dead cards from your own deck before drawing with the next Spy or Pearl Diver.

If you ever hit $5, Minion would be nice to pick up as well.  You could play off a bunch of IW and then use Minion to pull up four fresh cards.  The attack on the opponent can sting.

Again, you aren't using coin at all to get your actions, so you can pick up that Potion early and not really be slowed down, I think.  Maybe not too early though, I'm not sure.

^ all just intuition, I have nothing to back it up at all. :P

RisingJaguar

• Minion
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 19, 2012, 08:59:17 am »

This was a super fun deck to run.  I won decisively, but I still want feedback.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201211/15/game-20121115-214840-6baf556b.html

What I went for: IW/Vineyard/Warehouse
What he went for: Tournament/Minion

A pretty straightforward engine, and my opponent and I didn't clash for any of my key cards.  I rushed the IW, picking up a few Potions on the way.  I then grabbed as many Warehouses and Spies as I could while waiting to pile out Vineyards.  It took a while to get rolling, but was fairly unstoppable once it did!

-Since I wasn't rushing Gardens or Silk Roads or anything else IW could gain, getting 9 IW before doing much else was a good idea, right?
-How many Potions, and when?  I didn't drain Vineyard as fast as I'd hoped.
-What's your choice for third pile?  I figured Warehouse would help me find IW and Potion the best, but Spy might have also worked well, and doesn't reduce handsize.  I figured Pearl Diver was too weak, and the benefits of Tournament didn't merit the risk of getting blocked in late game.
-Skip coins, right?  I know I didn't have much use for $ with this deck but it feels weird, man.
-I know the board had a good setup for it, but IW/Vineyard did really well I feel.  How much of it was due to being a strong combo, and how much was just the board/shuffle luck/my opponent?
You played very well in this game and did a lot of minute things very well.  I think it was very correct to grab potions right away and grab potions with your last ironworks when you have $3 already (so you can still buy an ironworks after). 

You avoided all silvers! Which is very good for this sort of deck, the idea would be to hit your potions as often as possible.  I first thought even a masq would help, but with warehouses galore, the trashing benefit wouldn't be of much use to you. 

I know you never hit $5, but minions would have been a nice addition to your deck.  Not so much so you should focus on money, but if it came along ($4 + ironworks), you should aim for it. 

The third pile isn't such a huge deal because if this was say a colony game, you WANT to prolong the game.  You should be gaining action cards and vineyards (so more pearl divers/tournaments) faster than they would be gaining colonies.  With that said, you want to have 'control' of when the game ends. 

Tombolo

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 19, 2012, 12:28:12 pm »

Thanks!   :D

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201211/19/game-20121119-091441-93ae46ec.html

What I went for: Upgrade/Torturer/HT
What he went for: Upgrade/Torturer/Remake/Remodel

I figured Remake would be a bit redundant if I could get Upgrade quickly, and with HT I could do just that and hold up a bit better against Torturer.  I was able to keep my deck fairly trim, and withstood a late-game comeback in a fairly straightforward game.  I came up with some questions, though.

-For upgrade-by-exactly-1 trashers like Upgrade and Remake, is it usually better to go for Coppers first, or Estates?  I have in the past gone for Estates because it's a bigger boost to turn dead cards into Silver....but getting the Coppers out of the way keeps the deck more trim and gets the trashers and stuff back quicker.  I prioritized Coppers this time and think it went pretty well.
-What do I want at 5, and in what order?  Upgrade, Torturer, and Vault all looked pretty tempting, but on one hand you have terminal clash, and on the other how many Upgrades do you REALLY need?
-How do you feel about the HT/Silver open?  Remake was tempting, and so was Wishing Well.
-What's your rubric on when to risk playing Upgrade (or Rats, or anything similar I'm forgetting) when there's not anything in your hand you REALLY want to trash but could really use one more card?
-Could something like HT/Gardens have been viable here?  You had Warehouse for filtering, Pawn for +Buy, and opponent Torturer as well, but......ehhhhhhh.
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 19, 2012, 12:42:40 pm »

-For upgrade-by-exactly-1 trashers like Upgrade and Remake, is it usually better to go for Coppers first, or Estates?  I have in the past gone for Estates because it's a bigger boost to turn dead cards into Silver....but getting the Coppers out of the way keeps the deck more trim and gets the trashers and stuff back quicker.  I prioritized Coppers this time and think it went pretty well.
Depends.  Usually, if you trash Coppers but not Estates, you're economy will suffer a lot, and it will be hard to get to $5cards. So now you have HT, and it doesn't matter if you discard Estates or Coppers, so you will likely come to $5 in your HT-turns. In this case, the acceleration of Copper-trashing might help more.  And of course, there might be other $3s than Silver you want, in which case it's clear I think.
But if the WW was on the board, trashing Estates->WW is also like removing them from the deck, and keeping the $1 from Copper, and the option to guess right, so I think Estates->WW > Copper->nothing here.  OK, you are likely to draw dead with Torturer, so maybe that's wrong...

-How do you feel about the HT/Silver open?  Remake was tempting, and so was Wishing Well.
I think I like HT here. It gives some bonus when attacked by Torturer, it helps you to get to $5 consistently, and for the trashing you have Upgrade. With Remake, you will likely spend more time with more intense trashing. But with Torturer, it's usually more important to get to $5 fast. Now here no chain is possible, nevertheless the $5s is what you want, and under the attack of Torturer it's hard to reboot the economy once you have trashed down

-Could something like HT/Gardens have been viable here?  You had Warehouse for filtering, Pawn for +Buy, and opponent Torturer as well, but......ehhhhhhh.
I'm not sure how strong HT/Gardens is exactly, but I would guess it's countered by BM/Vault here.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 19, 2012, 02:13:46 pm »

Would Vault/BM benefit from remake here.  I know that in general you don't want to trash when going BM, but with vault you just need your Vault and a Gold to get province.  Making a trimmed up deck would increase the likelyhood of having those collisions.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 19, 2012, 02:34:55 pm »

I'm fairly sure that some sort of Vault-BM is the way to go on that board.

RisingJaguar

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 19, 2012, 02:48:08 pm »

I figured Remake would be a bit redundant if I could get Upgrade quickly, and with HT I could do just that and hold up a bit better against Torturer.  I was able to keep my deck fairly trim, and withstood a late-game comeback in a fairly straightforward game.  I came up with some questions, though.
The others have touched your main questions but this is definitely not the correct mind set. 

Forgoing a STRONG, OPENING trasher for a T3/T4, average trasher is never a good idea.  Especially when you intend to trash a significant portion of your deck.  Essentially, you should be purchasing remake the same games you would purchase chapel.

That's not to say trashing in this game is going to win, Vault-BM is pretty viable here.  Just more for general know-how.

Tombolo

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 22, 2012, 12:17:07 pm »

I am thankful for Bridge megaturn engines even when mine never gets around to firing!

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201211/22/game-20121122-090636-07ea3e29.html

What I went for: Workshop -> GM/Bridge
What he went for: Workshop -> GM/Bridge

We had the same general idea here, but obviously his attempt at actually building the engine went much better than mine!  We both went for two Workshops quickly, given the importance of Mining Village and Bridge.  He threw in Envoys, I threw in a Moneylender, and it quickly became apparent that his engine was going to beat mine on both speed and power.  I got the first GM, 5 bridges, and 4 MV, but I couldn't match his drawing power.

-Moneylender.  Yay or nay?  I feel like I should've gotten it earlier if I was going to get it.
-What's the order of priority here?  I needed more +Action but tried to balance my early buys and gains to mix in some terminals as well.  Mining Village isn't a great card if you're not trashing or using the +Action, which I wasn't really early on, but they were very important and I wanted more....but I needed the Bridges too...but not early....and Envoy worked out great for him....and geesh this is a complicated board.
-Buys at 5?  Lab's nifty, Mint wasn't terrible, but....the 4's, man.
-Too many workshops?  Not enough?
-How viable is Bridge/Workshop as the main focus here, as opposed to one part of a greater engine?  He was gaining Provinces towards the end!
-It became apparent pretty early on that he had me beat.  Should I have changed something or just stayed the course and hoped for a miracle?
-I waited to trash my MV's until my megaturn.  That turn never came, but if I'd trashed them, my deck would've been crippled.  Should I have gone ahead and done it at some point?

RisingJaguar

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 22, 2012, 12:47:00 pm »

I am thankful for Bridge megaturn engines even when mine never gets around to firing!

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201211/22/game-20121122-090636-07ea3e29.html

What I went for: Workshop -> GM/Bridge
What he went for: Workshop -> GM/Bridge

We had the same general idea here, but obviously his attempt at actually building the engine went much better than mine!  We both went for two Workshops quickly, given the importance of Mining Village and Bridge.  He threw in Envoys, I threw in a Moneylender, and it quickly became apparent that his engine was going to beat mine on both speed and power.  I got the first GM, 5 bridges, and 4 MV, but I couldn't match his drawing power.

-Moneylender.  Yay or nay?  I feel like I should've gotten it earlier if I was going to get it.
-What's the order of priority here?  I needed more +Action but tried to balance my early buys and gains to mix in some terminals as well.  Mining Village isn't a great card if you're not trashing or using the +Action, which I wasn't really early on, but they were very important and I wanted more....but I needed the Bridges too...but not early....and Envoy worked out great for him....and geesh this is a complicated board.
-Buys at 5?  Lab's nifty, Mint wasn't terrible, but....the 4's, man.
-Too many workshops?  Not enough?
-How viable is Bridge/Workshop as the main focus here, as opposed to one part of a greater engine?  He was gaining Provinces towards the end!
-It became apparent pretty early on that he had me beat.  Should I have changed something or just stayed the course and hoped for a miracle?
-I waited to trash my MV's until my megaturn.  That turn never came, but if I'd trashed them, my deck would've been crippled.  Should I have gone ahead and done it at some point?
- Moneylender, good thing is you realized you should be getting a card that trashes earlier than later.  Bridge does not help you with your shenanigans with workshop, and bridge is a pretty poor opening.
- Everything else.  I think everything ties in with the order you did things.  So the point of your deck is to play Bridge and workshop for workshop bonuses.  The initial problem is that you can't play both at the same time because...
1. it would be hard to link them. 
2. You need + actions. 
So workshop takes care of number 2. but more importantly number 1. how do we link them together.  Like most engines, you have draws and trashing.  Moneylender helps with trashing so that should be purchased asap.  The other option would be to get draws and purchase Mint later on, which wouldn't be horrible either. 
So you kind of do one, but not get draws.  Then another problem is that you purchase too many treasures.  Treasure are nice, but not when you have limited space in your hand and deck.  Those silvers make it harder for you to pull any shenanigans.  So try and avoid $3 cards, unfortunately your opponent does it with the same sort of deck. 

In short, you jump straight to the end result without considering the bettering your whole deck first.  Also, avoid treasures when you have limited space and are planning to build an engine. 

DStu

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 22, 2012, 12:50:13 pm »

Seems like your start was a bit weaker, terminal collision on the first shuffle. You had 4 Silvers which doesn't help much in the end, he had none.  I probably also would have bought a Silver on T4, but afterwards try to avoid it.

WS/Bridge is hard I would say, there is only on Village on the board, you got 5 of it, so you can play 6 terminals. You need 4 of them to get Provinces down to $4, assuming you don't need a terminal to draw you can only gain 2 Provinces. And than you have to draw your deck nevertheless, so you need Labs.

For trashing the MVs, only when you can end it on a win.

I think important here are the two splits on MVs and Bridges. MVs dictates how many Bridges you can play, and the Bridges are also needed to play them.  Probably MV is the more important one, as even with 3 or 4 Bridges, the Workshops can do great things (if only Grand Markets and Labs), and you might also have actions for Envoy.  Not much point in having 7 Bridges when you can only play 5 of them and no other terminal per turn. Try to avoid Treasure, probably WS are better at $3 (after first Silver maybe, but the longer I think about it the less I like it), as they guarantee MVs/Bridges/Envoy, and can grab Labs after the first Bridge.
Depending on how that went, see if you need GMs or at least want to deny them, and/or need Labs to reliable draw the deck, but MV+Bridge is more important. Beware of 3pile!

Edit: Agree with RJ on Moneylender.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 12:51:19 pm by DStu »

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 22, 2012, 05:21:58 pm »

Bridge split is not important here. Make sure you win the MV split because that will cripple the opponent. Even a 6/4 split puts pressure on him to draw his deck using Envoys and then play enough Bridges and/or Workshops to gain useful cards.

Tombolo

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: November 26, 2012, 04:59:21 pm »

Finally saw another interesting game!

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201211/26/game-20121126-134247-89754271.html

What I went for: Golem/Tunnel
What he went for: Fishing Village/Harem/YW

This was designed from the start to be a Tunnel engine with some frills, but I am curious how I could've done it better.  I opened YW/Tunnel, and was fortunate when he drew 5/2.  I tried to move in pretty quickly on Golem, but had a dickens of a time drawing my Potion with money, and only hit Golems in time to play one of them once (I drew another, but I drew it with YW and two Tunnels, so I skipped it that turn.)  On the other hand, his YW only got past Bane Tunnels once all game, so there's a limit to how much I can complain about shuffle luck.  I picked up Monument just to have a second action for Golem, and later Swindler because I wanted to see if I could foil some Harems. (I got one!)  I preferred Harem to Gold, since my Tunnels were doing a decent enough job of churning out Gold somehow.  He almost caught up to me, but I hung on for the win, with a swindled Province not hurting my cause any.

-Was Tunnel actually worth it here?  It's not a legendary Tunnel board, but it's not a bad one either.
-Do I want Fishing Villages?  The idea was to go very light on actions so that Golem could discard more Tunnels (and terminals wouldn't clash) but that didn't work out very well in the end.
-Did I want ANY actions other than Golem and YW?  I figured Golem would hit enough Tunnels even with three actions, and they made decent "kickers."  Did I want different actions?  More?  Fewer?
-Should I have gotten more green in the endgame?  I've been looking a bit at some sim bots and most of them seem to have rules like "Buy Estate if <2 Provinces" so that makes me wonder if I shouldn't be preferring Duchy and Estate in endgame more often than I do, especially when I'm ahead and trying to wrap up the last few Provinces.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 26, 2012, 05:45:50 pm »

Young Witch is a killer combo with Tunnel. You should seriously not have deviated from YW at $4 for any other card, except for maybe a Monument or two in the late game. Optimized YW/Tunnel requires almost as many YW as you have Tunnel. Getting Harem over Gold at $6 was probably a good call.

Tombolo

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 26, 2012, 06:05:39 pm »

Should I have even skipped Golem then?  And gone that hard for YW even if it drains the curses?

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: November 26, 2012, 06:41:14 pm »

Having a Golem in this deck is a very good thing, the issue is getting one. In general Golem/Tunnel is cute but weak. Here the cursing gives you more time to set it up and reap the benefits of lots of Gold, but it also decreases your chance at hitting $4P. I don't think I'd even try for it, and I wouldn't buy two potions.

YW will still be good for you even after the curses are gone because it activates Tunnels and sifts your deck to find Gold. I'm not sure if you want three YW, but you definitely want two.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 26, 2012, 07:47:02 pm »

I would skip Golem -- too slow.  I would have probably added a Loan in -- clear out some Copper to have higher Gold density.  But Loan competes with Tunnel.  Tunnel might be better anyway, until they run out.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: November 26, 2012, 07:52:33 pm »

Should I have even skipped Golem then?  And gone that hard for YW even if it drains the curses?

Yes; optimized Tunnel/YW in Geronimoo's simulator buys YW if #YW in deck <= #Tunnel in deck + 1. The goal of YW is that even if they collide, you should be able to scrape together enough Golds for Province or Duchy (or in your case, Harem, which helps you get to Province and gives VP).

Tombolo

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: November 27, 2012, 03:00:16 pm »

I'm still working on IW rushes, but I eked out a win here.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201211/27/game-20121127-115331-1c87a5f7.html

What I went for: IW > Silk Road/Gardens
What he went for: IW > Silk Road/Estate

Really, things went kinda sorta as planned.  We both dogpiled on IW to start out.  I was pondering whether or not to try to get the rest or switch to green when he started picking up Silk Roads and I got jumpy.  I picked a few up myself, and then switched to Gardens while he tried to pile out Estates.  He got the lead for a bit, but I was able to come from behind before he could 3-pile!

-How many IW do I want?
-Gardens or Silk Road first?
-I feel like Trader and Bureaucrat might've been cute....but there wasn't time for them here, right?
-I picked up Inn and Nobles when I had sudden big money turns.  I figured Inn would be nice for sifting all the green and it shuffled my IW back, and Nobles is nice with Silk Road.  I mainly wanted them both for the +Action, but it didn't wind up mattering that much.  Were they good ideas, or should I have been solely focused on the rush?
-Develop....wasn't worth it here, right?

DStu

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 27, 2012, 03:09:48 pm »

-How many IW do I want?
-Gardens or Silk Road first?
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=1473.0
Silk Roads > Gardens.

-Develop....wasn't worth it here, right?
Would say so.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 27, 2012, 05:21:41 pm »

Silk Roads tend to accrue a little more points than Gardens. Like, in your game, you had 3-point gardens and were 6 cards away from 4-point gardens, and you had 3-point silk roads but were only one green card away from 4-point silk roads. Your opponent had 4-point silk roads (exactly) and 3-point gardens (one card more than 30).

Tombolo

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 16, 2013, 09:45:41 am »
+5

My love for Dominion seemed like it was gonna die with Isotropic, but last night I finally decided to take the plunge on Goko because of Guilds, and now the bug has bitten me again!  We are BACK, ladies and gentlemen, and we are RUSTY and we have LITTLE OR NO IDEA how to play with the LAST TWO EXPANSIONS.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130616/log.505caa400cf25938ea9e782a.1371389433168.txt
What I went for: Familiar/Rats/Jack
What he went for: BM/Venture
What I wound up with: RATS oh hey I can trash them faster with Mercenary cool

I've been forcing Baker a lot because the concept fascinates me.  I decided to take the advice of...somebody or other here, and save my coin token to make absolutely sure I hit 3P.  It wound up being unnecessary, but I think that's a good precaution to take.  I expected him to go for Familiar, otherwise I don't think I would have bothered with Rats.  I was able, however, to dump all the Curses on him, and JoaT kept Rats under some semblance of control.  I'd like to say I had planned all along on Mercenary, but really Urchin was a "why not" buy and I completely forgot I could do that with Mercenary.  That was a big help in keeping Rats in check, however!  Merchant Guild obviously was a pretty weak buy here.  I think I thought it was non-terminal, and also thought I would want more low-cost cards.

-Was Rats a good idea here if he had gone Familiar?  How about if he didn't?
-Did I want another JoaT at some point?
-Perhaps another Urchin/Mercenary?
-Should I have just gone DoubleJack?
-How do you feel about saving the opening coin token to make sure you hit Familiar?
-What do I want at 5?  Baker and Venture both seem viable if uninspired, and Merchant Guild/Contraband might have been interesting in a different deck.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 16, 2013, 11:40:18 am »
+1

Jack of all trades is normally just too strong for a curser like familiar that brings no economy to the table. However here you can start jack/potion so you can get economy and cursing together. Let's assume you want to do that. Next we see the merchant's guild and I'd make a rule of thumb that you should only get it when you're looking to buy multiple cards so that it is at least +1 now and +2 later (tokens). Here you'd need to buy extra copper for the tokens so it's a non starter. Later on you don't need the third familiar and some treasure would be better.

When you've got a jack deck with lots of silver it's quite good to use drawing cards to collect the silver into province buying hands. Here you've got the margrave and also, indirectly, the mercenary. Either would do but here and a decision might rest on how your opponent plays. You can use a 3 coin hand to buy the urchin leaving you with 5 coin hands for ventures. Ventures will look good in a treasure deck with some drawing. Bakers can work but they're not as important as drawing up treasure to buy provinces.

Rats are generally only useful if you can make special use of them through their identification as 4 cost action cards. This would generally be through trashing them with something like an apprentice. Here you don't get much benefit from having a 4 cost action in your deck instead of a copper, say, so just ignore the rats. Jack of all trades are better at sweeping up the curses since they'll give you a simple treasure deck to play with.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 11:43:31 am by DG »

Tombolo

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 20, 2013, 12:10:59 pm »

I've never played a Feodum deck, but this seemed a decent board to try it out perhaps?

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130620/log.505caa400cf25938ea9e782a.1371743851088.txt
Candlestick Maker, Pawn, Woodcutter, Feodum, Ironmonger, Nomad Camp, Contraband, Counterfeit, Horn of Plenty, Bank
What I went for: Ironmonger/Pawn/Feodum
What he went for: Alt Treasure/Silver

I feel like there were a lot of ways to play Feodum here, and in retrospect I'm not sure that many were worth it.  Luckily for me, the bot is kinda dumb!  My initial idea was to gobble up Ironmonger and one of the 2's, (I settled on Pawn for its flexibility) and then rush feoda, picking up Silver steadily over the course of the game.  I opened Nomad Camp to quickly get some +Buy, and used that to get Pawns for some more.  It was still a fairly slow strategy, but the bot spent enough time putzing around that the game stayed close.  I was able to drain the Ironmongers and take a 7-1 split on Feoda, but didn't have the lead necessary to pile out on Pawns.  We both rushed Silver, picking up a green here or there, and I managed to eke out a 1-point win with the last Duchy.

-Was Feodum even a good idea here?
-If so, what other piles do I want to try rushing?  Ironmonger, Pawn, and Candlestick Maker all seemed like decent, spammable support, Silver actually almost ran out, Duchies DID run out, and for a brief moment I even entertained making a run on Woodcutters.
-What should I open here?
-Did I want more Silver?  Less?  Earlier?  Later?
-Should I have waited longer to start greening?  His lead made me nervous.
-Do I want some of those more expensive cards?  They didn't seem worth my time (although I did buy a Bank too late in the game for it to matter) but I feel that any of those alt-treasures would have been good support, and Gold or Province probably wouldn't have hurt too bad either.

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 20, 2013, 12:43:43 pm »

I don't like Feodum here, because you can't trash them for the Silver flood, and because you can't gain extra Silver easily. +Buy can help get extra cards, but you need to get a lot of coin for that and with no card way to increase your handsize except Ironmonger, you're going to have trouble getting +Buy.

There are two things I would do to make Feodum easier to go for here. First, I would pick up a Contraband or 2. This helps get you good economy and +Buy. Since you're taking a non-standard route, Contraband is harder to block a card for and you should probably be able to pick up double-Silver or Silver-Feodum buys with Contraband because of the $3 it gives you. The other thing I would do is prioritize Candlestick Maker over Pawn. It gives you the Buys you want, as well as helping you store coin for a good Silver/Feodum or double Feodum turn. A lot of your Pawns were actually fairly useless as you went card/action a bunch of times. I do like the Ironmongers here as well though.

That being said, I probably wouldn't go for Feodum on this board, because of the lack of Silver gain and Feodum trashing. Instead, I would probably open Candlestick Maker/Silver and build up a bunch of coin tokens throughout the game, probably getting 3-4 CMs. I would also get a Contraband, and then otherwise get Gold and Silver, maybe a Bank on $7. Save the tokens until you want to green. Once I want to green, I would start using my Tokens to consistently hit $8, $13 or $16 depending on what you want and can get.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11  All

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 21 queries.